Skip to main content

none
Directory structure RRS feed

• Question

• I'm developing a desktop application for windows.

where can i find guidelines on where to put the exe, data, user data, global data and stuff?

thanks in advance,

Joe

Sunday, April 8, 2018 8:19 AM

All replies

• Sunday, April 8, 2018 8:42 AM
  • There is also information about file system locations at https://www.scribd.com/document/48246732/Windows-File-System-Namespace-Usage-Guidelines

Unfortunately, the msdn links that I have found for such guideline documents have all been broken and return 404 errors.

Sunday, April 8, 2018 11:51 AM
  • For the program directory itself don't forget to properly secure it if you install your application outside of Program Files/Program Files (x86).

This is easy to forget to do this, but storage outside of the system drive generally defaults to giving authenticated users almost full access, including deleting and overwriting. This is especially vital if administrative users are expected to use that application. A malicious user could put a hacked version of the executable, or one of the dependencies in the directory and compromise the entire system.

This is one of the main reasons Program Files/Program Files (x86) is preferred, because the defaults only allow writing by administrators.

This is a signature. Any samples given are not meant to have error checking or show best practices. They are meant to just illustrate a point. I may also give inefficient code or introduce some problems to discourage copy/paste coding. This is because the major point of my posts is to aid in the learning process.

Sunday, April 8, 2018 3:23 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for posting here.

If your issue has been resolved, please remember to close your thread by marking useful post as answer.

Note:If you want to know the data structure of program, you can refer to portable Executable (PE) file.

Best Regards,

Hart

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 9, 2018 8:28 AM