none
Is it possible to write a custom consent.exe so it can use custom prompts? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm not looking to configure, remove, change UAC per say but I would like to create a custom 'consent prompt', more descriptive company related text, maybe corporate logo etc... I'm sure it's possible but I'm not sure how or where to start. Does it need any special signing to work with UAC? Any pointers gratefully recieved!

Thanks all

Kev

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 11:10 AM

All replies

• Philosophically, I would argue that this is a bad idea.  When you're working with security protocols, you want users to be reassured that they're actually talking to trusted system services.  The way you do that is by having standard dialogs that everyone recognizes and can confirm with a quick web search.  When you show a custom dialogs, new users are going to be confused.

Tim Roberts | Driver MVP Emeritus | Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 4:55 PM
  • In addition to Mr. Robert's reply - there are products that can automatically elevate programs specified by administrator, with or without prompt. (For example. this one - they call it "just-in-time elevation").

-- pa

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 5:40 PM
  • Hi, I appriciate your answer but I'd still like to know if it's possible to create cusom consent/uac dialog prompts? thanks
    Thursday, October 17, 2019 10:54 PM
  • In theory this is possible - but difficult.

-- pa

Friday, October 18, 2019 2:46 AM