none
My Driver will not load RRS feed

• Question

• I found a sample Windows driver "VCam".   After installing all of the required "Windows 7 stuff" (SDK, DDK, DirectX SDK) I was able to get the driver to build.  I wrote a small program to load the driver.  The program "works", as in it does not report any errors.  

However, in the event log I see this entry specically for my driver:

"VcamD.ax has been blocked from loading due to incompatibility with this system"

Any ideas what is wrong?

Matt

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:31 PM

Answers

• I was able to get AmCap (from DirectX SDK) to use this virtual webcam.  I think it was a problem of my understanding of how it worked and what I needed.  I consider this question closed, unless someone wants to comment otherwise :)

Thnx for the help anyways

Matt

• Marked as answer by tatman blue Friday, October 12, 2012 5:03 PM
    Friday, October 12, 2012 5:03 PM

All replies

• I found a sample Windows driver "VCam".   After installing all of the required "Windows 7 stuff" (SDK, DDK, DirectX SDK) I was able to get the driver to build.  I wrote a small program to load the driver.  The program "works", as in it does not report any errors.  

However, in the event log I see this entry specically for my driver:

"VcamD.ax has been blocked from loading due to incompatibility with this system"

Any ideas what is wrong?

Matt

(My apologizes if this is the wrong forum, I couldn't find another one that seemed appropriate)

• Moved by Jesse Jiang Thursday, October 11, 2012 4:35 AM (From:Visual C++ General)
    • Merged by Doron Holan [MSFT] Thursday, October 11, 2012 4:59 AM dupe
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 8:58 PM
  • how did you build the driver? in the WDK? in VS?  Can you successfully LoadLibrary your binary in a test app to see if it is as simple as a load problem (such as missing imports)?

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:43 PM
  • I built the driver in VS2010.  The project file was converted from an earlier version of VS.   I had to change project paths the include and lib folders to the SDKs.  I changed _WIN32_WINNT and WINVER to 0x0601.  I did not have to modify any code or other settings.

LoadLibrary loads the driver just fine, returning a HMODULE value.

Thnx

Matt

• Edited by tatman blue Wednesday, October 10, 2012 10:06 PM details. the devils in the details
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:56 PM
  • if you are linking against the dynamic CRT, make sure it is installed properly as well. outside of that, sounds like a specific issue with the configuration of the .ax file. where did you get the vcam sample from?

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 10:16 PM
  • I downloaded it from here:  http://tmhare.mvps.org/downloads/vcam.zip   

I stepped through the RegisterFilters method in Filters.cpp (I can copy the src if thats best).  All SDK return codes appear to succeed (HRESULT == S_OK).

I do not understand how I can tell if Im linking against the dynamic CRT.  Best I can tell, from the linker project settings, is all references are statically linked.  Can you clarify?

Matt

• Edited by tatman blue Wednesday, October 10, 2012 10:37 PM
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 10:24 PM
  • Try the Windows Drivers Development forum if no one answers here.
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 10:29 PM
  • Hi ,

I think your issue should be raised in the Windows WDK and Driver Development Forum

I believe they will know more information of this issue than us, and I will move this one to that forum.

Thanks for your understanding,

Best regards,
    Jesse

Jesse Jiang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Marked as answer by tatman blue Thursday, October 11, 2012 2:28 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by tatman blue Thursday, October 11, 2012 4:17 PM
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 4:34 AM
  • link /dump /imports <your binary name>

will give you the imports

Thursday, October 11, 2012 4:57 AM
  • also, looking at this guy's site, it is quite old. i would suggest starting from something a little more current.

Thursday, October 11, 2012 5:01 AM
  • I found a sample Windows driver "VCam".   I downloaded it from here:  http://tmhare.mvps.org/downloads/vcam.zip   After installing all of the required "Windows 7 stuff" (SDK, DDK, DirectX SDK) I was able to get the driver to build.  

I built the driver in VS2010.  The project file was converted from an earlier version of VS.   I had to change project paths the include and lib folders to the SDKs.  I changed _WIN32_WINNT and WINVER to 0x0601.  I did not have to modify any code or other settings.  I wrote a small console app calling LoadLibrary and that loads the driver just fine, returning a HMODULE value.

I wrote a small program to excecute the driver.  The program "works", as in it does not report any errors.   However, in the event log I see this entry specically for my driver:

"VcamD.ax has been blocked from loading due to incompatibility with this system"

Any ideas what is wrong?

Matt

(Using OSRLoader from http://www.osronline.com fails as well)

Thursday, October 11, 2012 3:35 PM
  • Well assuming this is E2Esoft's VCAM this is a WDM driver so can't be loaded by the OSR loader or the CreateService and related API's.  I don't know the product (just looked it up), but it should have had an INF file along with the sys file for loading.  You should be able to use either the devcon utility or device manager (choose the computer from the display then under actions use "Add legacy hardware" to load the driver.

Don Burn Windows Filesystem and Driver Consulting Website: http://www.windrvr.com Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/WinDrvr

Thursday, October 11, 2012 3:50 PM
  • There was no .INF file included in the zip.  I looked at a INF file from another download, and its not entirely obvious, to me, which content is specific to my driver.   I'm still trying to find documentation on .INF file.  

Another option is to find or make WDM driver.  Since I am completely new to driver development, I would "love" to find a WDM driver example that does something similar to what I to achieve.   I want to capture the desktop (or a window) and stream it as though its a functional webcam so that a tool like flash can stream it.

Thoughts?

Matt

Thursday, October 11, 2012 4:07 PM
  • fyi:  I built the ball filter example from the Win7 DirectX SDK, and I get the same error(s).  It seems like to me, I'm not building or loading the driver correctly....

M

• Edited by tatman blue Thursday, October 11, 2012 4:24 PM
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 4:20 PM
  • I was able to get AmCap (from DirectX SDK) to use this virtual webcam.  I think it was a problem of my understanding of how it worked and what I needed.  I consider this question closed, unless someone wants to comment otherwise :)

Thnx for the help anyways

Matt

• Marked as answer by tatman blue Friday, October 12, 2012 5:03 PM
    Friday, October 12, 2012 5:03 PM