none
Rundll32.exe parameter for Non English OS versions (Install printer driver) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We use Rundll32.exe to install printer driver. However one of the parameter /v[version] is localized and changes based on the OS language. ie, "Type 3 - User Mode" in english and "Type 3 - Mode utilisateur" in french.

My question is is there any way to generalize this parameter so that it can be used across all the language OS?

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Ramaprasad

Monday, October 14, 2013 12:44 PM

Answers

• Hi Ramaprasad,

Printui.dll is a very old mechanism for scripting print queue/driver install, so there are shortcomings like the one you pointed out. Starting with Windows 8, we provide PowerShell cmdlets for installing drivers and queues. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh918357.aspx

If you have to support older clients, I'd recommend calling the spooler APIs directly to configure your print queue.

Thanks

Justin

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 4:52 PM
  • Hi,

I think below parameters may address this. 

/v[version]

Specifies the driver version. If you do not also specify a value for /K, you must specify one of the following values: Type 2 - Kernel Mode or Type 3 - User Mode.

/K

Changes the meaning of the parameter /h[architecture] to accept 2 in place of x86, 3 in place of x64, or 4 in place of Itanium. It also changes the value of the parameter /v[version] to accept 2 in the place of Type 2 - Kernel Mode and 3 in place of Type 3 - User Mode.

So,

• Specify /K parameter to rundll32.exe
    • Change /h[architecture] to accept 2 in place of x86 (or Intel), 3 in place of x64
    • Change the value of the parameter /v[version] to accept 3 in place of Type 3 - User Mode.

Thanks,

Ramaprasad

Saturday, October 19, 2013 8:06 AM

All replies

• Hi Ramaprasad,

Printui.dll is a very old mechanism for scripting print queue/driver install, so there are shortcomings like the one you pointed out. Starting with Windows 8, we provide PowerShell cmdlets for installing drivers and queues. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh918357.aspx

If you have to support older clients, I'd recommend calling the spooler APIs directly to configure your print queue.

Thanks

Justin

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 4:52 PM
  • Hi,

I think below parameters may address this. 

/v[version]

Specifies the driver version. If you do not also specify a value for /K, you must specify one of the following values: Type 2 - Kernel Mode or Type 3 - User Mode.

/K

Changes the meaning of the parameter /h[architecture] to accept 2 in place of x86, 3 in place of x64, or 4 in place of Itanium. It also changes the value of the parameter /v[version] to accept 2 in the place of Type 2 - Kernel Mode and 3 in place of Type 3 - User Mode.

So,

• Specify /K parameter to rundll32.exe
    • Change /h[architecture] to accept 2 in place of x86 (or Intel), 3 in place of x64
    • Change the value of the parameter /v[version] to accept 3 in place of Type 3 - User Mode.

Thanks,

Ramaprasad

Saturday, October 19, 2013 8:06 AM