none
App installation and Windows RRS feed

• Question

• I think Windows should absolutely prohibit Applications from installing anything into the C:\Windows directory.

I intalled the latest NVIDIA graphics drivers and somehow it set up a hidden user account called "UpDatus" that didn't show up under the UAC,

It di however show up under "Parental Controls" I blocked it completely , and then it kept setting up \Users\TEMP-00?\ directories.

Applications should install in their entririty in their own individual directory. and be deletable by the Admin,

The Nvidia UpDatus files showed access-denied in both "attrib -s-h-r" and attempts to manually delete them.

I had to "ReName" them and reboot in order to delete them.

Friday, February 3, 2012 9:26 PM

All replies

• Not installing anything to system32 is one of the preconditions to pass Windows Logo test.

There is no defense against the installing administrator who have full control over the system. If you want nVidia to change the code, talk to nVidia.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Friday, February 3, 2012 11:24 PM