none
wrong representation of tiff files in windows vista and windows 7

Question

• Hello,

we are a company that processes a lot of documents since 1999. they were scanned, saved as tiff files and imported to an archive system.
    If we open these tiff files under windows xp all files were displayed correct (in windows picture and fax view, office picture manager, irfanview, xnview and so on). Until now we thought on windows vista it was the same. we can't remember exactly. but now with the release off windows 7 on both os windows 7 and windows vista the tiff files were not displayed correct. All tiff files were displayed with a bunch of horizontal stripes. But not with all applications. the files were displayed correct with irfanview, xnview, office picture manager. but they were not displayed correct with applications which were build with the .net framework, in ms paint, in windows photo viewer. So what is the cause of this problem? Why do some applications display the tiff files correct and others do not? How can we address this problem with applications that were build with the .net framework?

Thx in advance.

Stefan Adam
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 1:29 PM

Answers

All replies

• Dear Stefan,

Could you please provide some more information for us?

1. Provide (if possible) some sample TIFF files that display this behavior. [The WIC external communications alias is currently not available - we are working on a solution]
    2. Is the Platform Update for Windows Vista installed on your Windows Vista machines:
    - Search for "view installed updates" and then search for "platform update" or "KB971644"
    - The Platform Update updates the WIC files in Vista to the same version as shipped in Windows 7.
    3. If your Windows Vista machines do have the Platform Update installed, and there are no programs that rely on it, you can try uninstalling the update by right clicking on it and selecting Uninstall. This will revert the WIC files to the version shipped in Vista.
    - Try opening the affected TIFF files now and observing the behavior.
    - You can reinstall the Platform Update using Windows Update.

Thanks,
    Simon
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 7:08 PM
  • We also work with scanning and TIFFs since 10 years back, and this currently happens to all our TIFF 1bit CCITT T.6\G4fax when viewed or processed trough GDI on .NET. Happens for both .net framework 2.0 and 3.5 on Vista, Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. 

It must be the rendering since any conversion to other file formats with GDI+ has the same horizontal stripes in the converted image.

Views ok when processed with win32 code (office picture manager etc) but NOT in any case with .NET framework.
    Our workaround is currently to use a 3rd party component that uses win32 for the conversion.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 12:38 PM
  • This is a known issue with WIC. For further assistance, or to request a hotfix, you will need to go through an official support channel: support.microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 4, 2010 6:25 PM
  • Hi
    We are having the same problem using Silverlight 3.0
    Hosted on Windows 2008 (R1 and R2, Probably same problem when hosted by a Windows 7)

When IIS on a Windows 2008 R2 is hosting our Silverlight application, the the tiff-images is displayed wth horizontal stripes. Clients are running on Win XP/Vista/7/2003

If the SL app is running on an Windows 2003, the tiff-images are displayed fine on the Silverlight clients running on Win XP/Vista/7/2003
    This has become a big issue for us and our customers using our SL application viewing images from their document archive.
    Please respond if you need any examples or more information.

Thanks...

Peter Hennig
    PGH
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 11:25 AM
  • Hello.

Likewise, I'm currently experiencing this issue in Vista, Win7, Win2008 when item is .Net (GDI+ ?) rendered on these OS platforms.  We are seeking/awaiting for a fix to this issue before we can continue on our projects.

If possible, please let us know the status of this issue.

Thank you.

BDavis23

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 4:17 PM
  • We are having the same issues here with the horizontal stripes in monochrome TIFF files.. VERY annoying!
    Sunday, April 25, 2010 6:49 PM
  • We also work with scanning and TIFFs since 10 years back, and this currently happens to all our TIFF 1bit CCITT T.6\G4fax when viewed or processed trough GDI on .NET. Happens for both .net framework 2.0 and 3.5 on Vista, Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. 

It must be the rendering since any conversion to other file formats with GDI+ has the same horizontal stripes in the converted image.

Views ok when processed with win32 code (office picture manager etc) but NOT in any case with .NET framework.
    Our workaround is currently to use a 3rd party component that uses win32 for the conversion.

We are also facing the same issue. 

Joo,l Have you got the resolution for the problem yet?

Please reply to this or mailto saxenanavin@hotmail.com

ns
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 3:14 PM
  • I have a problem saving tiff files, I save them but I do not find them, it's like they're hidden! this happenes with windows 7 only, because before I was using xp and i didn't face this problem..
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 4:51 PM
  • I know we already have enough people confirming the behavoir but I would like to add that we too are a company with a huge document repository, containing loads of scanned multi-page TIFFs, and as you would imagine are suffering from this nonsense.

I've been scouring the web all morning and can't believe that there's not a solution to this.

3rd party solution is unacceptable.  Not when we have a bazillion workstations, oh - that's right... this was working in XP!  So yeah, I can't swallow that one.

Come on MS.  Little help here.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 4:31 PM
  • Simon, We are seeing this issue in Windows 2008 R2.  Is there a hotfix for this issue for Windows 2008 R2?  Thanks!

Gurpal S. Hundal

Friday, August 13, 2010 5:53 PM
  • This is a known issue with WIC. For further assistance, or to request a hotfix, you will need to go through an official support channel: support.microsoft.com.

Hello Simon,

"This is a known issue with WIC." So do you have some more infos on it? If it is a known issue so why isn't microsoft fixing it per windows update? Or can you provide a link to the hotfix?

"For further assistance, or to request a hotfix, you will need to go through an official support channel: support.microsoft.com" - This is a "nice" solution for this issue caused by MS. :(

So how to contact the support for free? the website support.microsoft.com is too overloaded and we are not willing to pay for a issue caused by MS.

Greetings.

Stefan Adam

PS: you can contact me at mada_s(at)ymail.com

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 1:18 PM
  • We have stumbled on this issue and it seems to be affecting the Windows Explorer image thumbnails for TIFF images as well (Extra large icons setting in explorer).

I could not find any further information on this on support.microsoft.com, is there a hotfix for this problem on Windows 7?

Thanks, Lansis

Monday, February 14, 2011 3:25 PM
  • There is a HotFix for this error KB2459492

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2459492

/Claus

Friday, March 11, 2011 3:47 PM
  • Hi Claus,

after applying the hotfix KB2459492 the "wrong representation of the tiff files" is gone.

So thanks a lot for posting the link to the hotfix.

Greetings.

Stefan Adam

Friday, May 13, 2011 11:29 AM
  • Hi Claus,

unfortunately the hotfix doesn't solve this problem for Windows Vista because it is made for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 only. So is there a hotfix for Vista too???

We couldn't find one at http://support.microsoft.com.

thx in advance.

greetings.

S. Adam

• Edited by Stefan Adam Friday, September 9, 2011 8:37 AM
    Friday, September 9, 2011 8:36 AM