Skip to main content

none
Vista with Samba RRS feed

• Question

• Vista will not connect to my Buffalo Samba NAS.

Although the device appears in my workgroup, Vista continually asks for username and password then fails to connect.

I have read this is something to do with "fast query" vs. "slow query".

If this is the case is there any way to switch to "slow query" so that Samba drives will work? Has anyone got a Samba drive working in Vista?

• Moved by Sheng Jiang 蒋晟 Saturday, June 14, 2014 1:32 AM should ask on answers.microsoft.com
    Wednesday, August 23, 2006 3:19 PM

All replies

• If any of you are having problems with Vista logon to NAS devices running Samba, try:

Run secpol.msc

Go to: Local Policies > Security Options

Find "Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level"

Change Setting from "Send NTLMv2 response only"
    to
    "Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated"

Vista defaults to only send the more secure NTLMv2 protocol, which these NAS devices / Samba do not support.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 3:15 PM
  • Hi,

This worked fine for me on Vista Ultimate (retail) from the explorer. Before changinf this I could not log on to my new D-Link DNS-323 network drive.

However I can still not connect to it from the Vista backup utility. This utility has a seprate scrolllist for network drives and if I browse I can see my DNS-323 as NAS1 and it has share called HDD_1 which is also display. When I click on the share I type in NAS1\hans (as in explorer->map network drive) and the password. It will still come back and say the password is not correct.

Any ideas?

Best regards,

HansJ

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 3:47 PM
  • Using Vista Home Premium I was unable to locate secpol.msc, even though the Windows Help system tells me it should be there.  A friend looked at an Ultimate install and didn't find it either, making me believe it's not at all standard with the released version.

The solution, however, is pretty easy using the registry.

The key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\LMCompatibilityLevel

controls the security level mandated or allowed for logins.  In Vista it defaults to 0x3, which means "NTLMv2 only".  This is not supported by Samba, or at least not supported by any of the Samba servers I use (Mac OS X, Debian Sarge, or Buffalo TeraStation).  This is despite the fact that the Samba documentation implies that it should work.

The fix is to change it to 0x1, which means "use NTLMv2 if available, or older versions if not."  Reboot.  Samba shares will work just fine.

Hope that helps people out.  It made me happy, now I can get at my backup server again.

jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com

Sunday, February 11, 2007 9:39 PM
  • Fingers....

I had the same issue with my Linksys Media Server Router (WRTSL54GS) which offers SAMBA based NAS.

In addition to the suggestion to change the LSA Compatability from 3 to 1 (NTLMv2 required to NTLMv2 if available), which reverts back to XP type of authentication, I also found that treating the UserID as that of a foreign domain controller works.

That is...If your NAS is a member of the FOO workgroup, when you pass your authentication info, you can specify the format of "FOO\userid" in the username field.  It is important to use the Workgroup name and not the NAS server machine name.  This should work for most current generation SAMBA implementations.

Keep one additional bit of information in mind though, unless you are running Ultimate, Business Edition, or Enterprise Edition, you will not cache the ID and Password for this server.  I wrote a small cmd file in my /users/myname directory and called it out of my startup folder.  (Note:  This will be readable by other administrators by default.  I have not verified that UAC will maintain least privilege for another user's profile yet.)

Good Luck!

(Now if I can only figure out why I can connect a drive to the share and browse the directory tree, but cannot browse the directory tree using a UNC path.  Me thinks there are still a few bugs to be worked out in Vista.  Even turning off UAC does not resolve the issue.)

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 7:10 AM
  • just and fyi

secpol.msc is a  mmc(might be called something different in vista, that is its xp/2000/2003 name)

just type secpol.msc in either the run line, or the search line and hit enter, even though it does not find anything it will open the correct consol, and you can follow the rest of the instructions.

i am also having issues with connecting to a samba drive, but mine is a SmartDisk SOHO NAS,

i am able to map the drive, i am able to explor the drive, but when trying to either read from, or write to i get an error about the path nolonger being valid.  any one have any ideas on this?

I have already tried lmcompatibily levels 1,2,3,4 in regedit, and have tried all options in the secpol.msc with clean reboots between each try, and i would remap the drive each time so that i should not be geting any cacheing issues.

vista system is hardware identical to my xp game machine, and the xp machine reads/writes with out any issues

asus P5wdg2 workstation board

intel E6600 C2D

2 gigs of ddr2 800 ram

4 segate 320gig (raid 10) on the mother board

3 western digital 400gig (raid 5) on Megaraid

any help would be nice.

Sunday, March 11, 2007 10:57 PM
  • I have tried the run secpol.msc. and I keep getting a message saying,

Windows cannot find 'secpol.msc'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

It was typed correctly. I have Vista Home Premium.

Thanks for any help.

Sunday, May 20, 2007 6:31 AM
  • I had the exact same problem.  But mine didn't happen until I upgraded the firmware.  What firmware are you running?  I had 2.3.2.02b and upgraded to 2.3.2.03b and that's when my problems started.  I contacted support and they sent me the 2.3.2.02b firmware and I reapplied that and I'm working fine now.  The only problem I'm continuing to have is printing.  Once I get that working, then I'll be good to go!!
    Tuesday, May 22, 2007 11:38 PM
  • HI, I am not sure where to find the firmware, but I am sure I haven't updated it. Because I can't seem to update anything. I get error messages and access denied allot, even with some of Windows updates. ty
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 3:01 AM
  • In the meantime have have tried any fix mensioned here and anywhere else, but still nothing. Im running Vista home premium, dutch version, hope that that isn't a problem with a sitecom md250 network drive. I can see the root level without a promlem but going deeper in the tree freezes up windows explorer. Navigating in the good old  console goes fine by the way,hope any one can help me.
    Monday, May 28, 2007 7:00 AM
  • OK...I've edited my registry.  I seem to have an even more basic issue though - I can't even see the other machines in the workgroup about half the time with my Vista machine (laptop), but my other machine is Win2KPro, and it sees them just fine, connects, etc.

Suggestions?
    Tuesday, May 29, 2007 4:27 AM
  • Jim,

thanks for your infomration. I have a DNS-323 and could not get password protection to work. Thanks to you all is now fine. Just goes to show how windows does actually lead you down the garden path sometimes. Now very happpy - Thanks!!!

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 3:05 PM
  • Hi,

I too have the same problem navigating the below the root level for files stored on my SiteCom MD-250 Lan Drive, using Windows Explorer and Windows Vista Business edition. I tried accessing the sitecom website but it seems to be down. Has anyone fixed this problem?

Best regards,

Elvis John Dowson

Sunday, June 10, 2007 1:07 PM
  • Hey guys. I'm having the same issue with Vista Business and Vgear Landisk. I have a brand spanking new system that I just built and now I am unable to access my NAS. I can login and view the first set of shares. I can then go inside one level deep but after that it doesn't let me go anywhere. There are no error messages either and I end up having to restart windows explorer. I can access the NAS through filezilla like before but that's about it.

I have tried all the above suggestions to no avail. Please let me know if there are any other tweaks available. Thanks. 

Thursday, June 28, 2007 11:26 PM
  • I have the exact same problem with my vgear landisk (not the landisk pro). After the share is connected, only the first level of directories can be seen. Going down to any sub-directory will hang the window explorer. The problem can't be resolved with the suggestion of changing the Authentication level in secpol.msc.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.
    Tuesday, July 3, 2007 3:56 PM
  • Me too, I have the same problem with Sitecom MD-250.

Since there is no solution here on the MB I asked also to the helpdesk of Sitecom via mail. I see that there are also members with a different disk but the same problem so I suggest they also ask the support or helpdesk.

Let's hope at least one of them will bring us the answer.

Thursday, July 5, 2007 1:04 PM
  • Okay, here i am with THE solution.

For some people the previous solution helps, for others not...

Why?

You must have firmware that is capable to 'communicate' with Vista. It's a SAMBA/VISTA issue.

When you have an 'old' firmware the previous solution will NOT help as we have seen.

But you can flash your firmware with at least version BASIC 47 LOADER 69.

My original was BASIC 45a LOADER69

How?

See http://www.enclosureservice.com/ by LAN DISK

It sounds riskie but for me is was done in 3 minutes and IT WORKED !!

See also www.aroundmyroom.com

For your interest: i was 3 times at least 20 minutes on a paying helpline (€ 0,44/minute) with sitecom. They always told me that they will email the solution, wich was not true. The third time they told  me to do things that destroyed my vista. Thanks!

Finally I found the solution on the freecom website. I saw ther a manual with a screenshot with almost the same firmware. But is was Basic 47 loader 69 instead of Basic 45a Loader 69. So i googled with the words "Basic 47 loader 69" and found it on enclosureservice.com. After 3 minutes it was done.

NOTE: the original skine is also changed, but all the same futures of course are present like the old one.

Friday, July 6, 2007 1:27 PM
  • Fantastic! Tried everything before, the LMcompatibility patch did not help with my sitecom MD-250. Could not get any useful information whatsoever from Sitecom.

Then I downloaded the latest firmware from www.enclosureservice.com (ver 48 loader 69), flashed it, done!

Worked immediately!

Thanks a lot.

Friday, July 13, 2007 8:17 PM
  • I have Vista Home Premium. I chaecked the registery and I cannot see a Lsa\LMCompatibilityLevel entry. Nor can  I find secpol.msc.

I have a Linux laptop and a Vista desktop connected through a router and need to access Vista shares and printers. I cannot ping the Vista system but I can ping the router and from the laptop. Help!

Saturday, July 28, 2007 6:27 PM
  • so where would i type the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\LMCompatibilityLevel

on my computer

Saturday, August 4, 2007 1:16 AM
  • I know you guys are talking about an NAS device, but my similar situation concerns a Unix server running Samba and a Vista laptop trying to access a share on the server. All of the WinXP PCs can access the share just fine, but the Vista machine gets the constant "asking for the user and password" thing. I will try the registry fix, but if anyone can think of a fix closer to my situation, please "chime in". Thanks.
    Monday, August 13, 2007 4:08 PM
  • Hi, I went through the net for some months and finally came accross this http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2003-December/076227.html

It's about a line in smb.conf file: valid users = %S which should be (at least in my case): users = %S

After this change I was able to FINALLY connect from Vista to Samba! Hope this helps somebody Wink
    Tuesday, September 11, 2007 9:12 AM
  • The mmc snap in changed.  If you go to your run menu and type "Local Security Policy" it will find it.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 9:08 PM
  • I am also having problems with a Desktop that is running Vista and trying to connect to a Linux box running Samba. I have tried setting the SecPol but that has not fixed the issue. I was able to connect with XP before I upgraded the box.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 2:28 PM
  • I used your solution on my vista home premium and Dlink dns-323, and it works perfect. THANK YOU

Thursday, September 20, 2007 12:37 PM
  • Trying to get my VPN working on Vista Home Premium. My office told me to run secpol.msc and I can't find it either by searching or by using the run line. No console opens either. I also tried searching for "Local Security Policy", and putting same on the run line. No luck with any. Can anyone offer any other alternatives for changing the settings on the loc. sec. policy? Thanks!
    Wednesday, September 26, 2007 9:24 PM
  • Tried this setting.  Unfortunately it didn't work.  I still can't see my samba share or any other workgroups on my network.  My 'Public folder sharing' is on and the 'Password protected sharing' is off.

I have samba running on my fedora machine.  I've set the workgroup names to be the same.  From linux I can see my Win machine but I can't browse any of the shared folder.  It says that I do not have permissions to view the contents.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Friday, October 5, 2007 6:16 PM
  •  

Greetings all,

If you haven't yet, you should read all the earlier posts as well as look elsewhere on the web...the range of solutions for this problem is quite interesting.

Anyway, I have Samba running on Fedora, SUSE and Ubuntu Linux and I can map their Samba-Shared drives reliability. This does, however, require going back to the solution we employed in the pre-XP days...

***CAUTION-THIS SOLUTION REQUIRES A DIRECT REGISTRY EDIT. DO NOT ATTEMPT IF YOU AREN'T SURE YOU FULLY UNDERSTAND THE DISASTER THAT WILL OCCUR IF YOU MAKE A MISTAKE IN THE REGISTRY***  (that having been said, just make sure you have done a recent backup and that it WAS successful and, at a minimum, has all the current critical system files (like the registry components))

The Windows default value for enabling plain text passwords (which is most probably the issue thought this idea comes without any guarantees...) in the LAN MAN client needs to be set to one (1).  You can find it in the Vista registry at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters

and, again, the name of the parameter is:  EnablePlainTextPassword

It is a REG_DWORD and (at least on my Vista install) it was already present but set to zero (0).  (It's also in the "ControlSetXXX" up under "System" so make sure what you are changing)

Needless to say editing the Registry, if you aren't sure what you are doing, can be an incredibly BAD IDEA!!!.  Mess something up in the registry and you might very well not be able to reboot so*****CAUTION****

Good Luck,

Pete

Sunday, October 21, 2007 6:29 PM
  • Nice Post!! Jeff.

I have been pulling my hair out for about a month since setting a Vista system up on our corporate LAN.  Could never connect to Samba shares.

Once I enabled your fix, it worked like a charm!  Seems to have made connections to other NFS mounts more predictable as well since sometimes I could connect and other times I could not.

Thank you for the help!

danrob00

Monday, November 5, 2007 5:09 PM
  •  

Hi there,

Did you every find a solution to this?  I have the same issue and almost the same configuration (Vgear Landisk with Vista Home Premium).

Please email me at scottcarpentier@gmail.com as I do not always check this posting.  thanks.

Scott

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 4:49 PM
  • Did you every find a solution to this?  I have the same issue and almost the same configuration (Vgear Landisk with Vista Home Premium).

Please email me at scottcarpentier@gmail.com as I do not always check this posting.  thanks.

Scott

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 4:51 PM
  •  

Fingers,

If the posting below does not help than I am not sure what you can do.  The thing that helped me was to change the security setting since SAMBA does not at this time support a more secure protocol which Vista is set in SECPOL MGR to use.

Posting from jeffcnsr...

Run secpol.msc

Go to: Local Policies > Security Options

Find "Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level"

Change Setting from "Send NTLMv2 response only"
    to
    "Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated"

Vista defaults to only send the more secure NTLMv2 protocol, which these NAS devices / Samba do not support.

I hope that helps!  There is also a posting on how to change the registry key, but I did not have to do this, since I believe secpol mgr changes this as well.

danrob00

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 7:14 PM
  • Couldn't find secpol.msc, either, but the registry fix worked just great.

I didn't have to reboot, either.

Many thanks.

Saturday, December 1, 2007 3:08 PM
  •  

I have read through all of this...tried the registry edits..can't run secpol (Home Premium)...nothing works.

[soap on] I can't believe the incredible step backward with Vista.  I have spent hundreds (no exaggeration) of unnecessary hours trying to solve problems that the XP machines never encounter...like this (not being able to work with samba), like not being able to print to printers shared off an XP machine, and on and on. [soap off]

So, the new Vista machines just won't be able to use the office file server, huh?  Nice.

Maybe the solution is to dump the XP and vista machines and go to ubuntu all around.

Or maybe somebody REALLY knows what the problem is and posts it here

Saturday, December 15, 2007 1:20 AM
  • Well, yes, better Samba 3 support is needed. Vista Service Pack 1?
    Thursday, December 27, 2007 9:57 PM
  • Nice one Pete

The Reg Hack to set level of NTLM security did not work for me, but this did they job!

Set the key:

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters
    and, again, the name of the parameter is:  EnablePlainTextPassword

to 1."

Sunday, January 13, 2008 6:51 PM
  •  

Dear,

I have the same problem and I follow up your step, but it didn't work so please if you have other solution to help let me know

thanks

Thursday, February 7, 2008 2:00 PM
  • I'v never found a solution, but a work around. I've reformated my drive and installed Windows XP. This fixed all of my problems and an increase of my computers performance aswell, im happy now !
    Friday, February 8, 2008 11:11 AM
  • I had problem with Vista connecting to an opensuse 10.3 Samba share.  I didn't want to mess with security policies in Vista so I tried other options.  Before I fixed it, Vista could see Linux and the shared directories, but it could not go into them (it would either freeze or come to password screen where no password would work).  I was looking around in /etc/samba and noticed an smbpasswd file that had nothing in it!!  I used smbpasswd command to add users that owned shares. After this, Vista worked great.  Here's the command:

smbpasswd -a <user/group name>

Note: the command should ask you to enter a new password for the user/group

I hope this may help some.

Vista Ultimate 32-bit
    Thursday, March 6, 2008 8:09 AM
  • Sorry for my ignorance, but are you using this command on a Vista DOS prompt or in Samba itself? If its Samba, how would I get to it on my NAS device? All I get is a browser-based interface where I cannot use such commands.

Thanks.

Vista Business 32-bit SP1

Thursday, March 6, 2008 3:03 PM

• Well having loads of problems as well.  Tried all of these ideas, you could also try an:

ipconfig /flushdns

(from your DOS prompt)

... although it didn't work for me it seems to have worked for others.  Everyone else seems to be moving back to XP.  I'm on  a Mac at home, and have to say that I would rather have one at work as well.

Anyway, try updating Samba as this would seem to solve 99% of the problems -- although my admin. won't even tell me which version of Samba they're using, so that's not an option for me.

I'm up for any ideas anyone has. Can ping the server ok, and used to be able to enter it using Windows Explorer, but not any more.  Even reinstalling Vista hasn't worked :-(

Thanks ---

Vista Home Premium
    Monday, March 10, 2008 11:34 PM
  • i just bought a new external NAS device and i checked with the manufacturer before buying, they said they recently updated their Samba and it will work on Vista and it really does. It is not as stable as on XP (for example, some times I have to refresh the folder to be able to see all the files). I actually put all my music files on it and shared it and that worked too. It does need more work though.

I bought a Triton Landisk.

Monday, March 10, 2008 11:46 PM
  • Im having an interesting problem with my NAS too. I have narrowed the problem down to a single field that vista leaves null during the session setup phase. My particular NAS is extreamly picky and it can't have the Native LAN Manager field null; it can have anything but a null string. I tested this theory by nulling this field on a XP box using some Java smb API and the NAS shoots back the same error (System error 59 has occurred). Why does vista leave this field (and native OS) null? Is there a way to have vista fill this field? registry perhaps? system patch? My NAS is setup to allow anonymous connections.

Ethereal screencap
    Saturday, March 22, 2008 6:20 PM
  •  

It would be really nice if I could get this problem fixed soon.
    Wednesday, April 2, 2008 4:03 PM
  • Currently my network office has locked down all the network settings for the use of NTLMv2.  I need to find a better solution than the registry settings and the secpol option.  I need to find out when or where the update for the Buffalo Tech Terastation might be located because until I can find the firmware update I will be unable to use my currently owned NAS.  I am frustrated because I spent good money on these NAS and wont be able to use them because the network security office wont budge on the policy.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 12:49 PM
  • My company has also started implementing changes like that. Have you talked to Buffalo customer support? I talked to them a few months back and at that time they did not have any firmware update on their website. If you go to http://www.buffalotech.com/support/downloads/ and pick your device, I believe there are a couple of updates available that fix the issue but I can't be sure if they're just the same registry edits that are out on the internet.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 1:01 PM
  •  Jim Frost wrote:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\LMCompatibilityLevel

controls the security level mandated or allowed for logins.  In Vista it defaults to 0x3, which means "NTLMv2 only".  This is not supported by Samba, or at least not supported by any of the Samba servers I use (Mac OS X, Debian Sarge, or Buffalo TeraStation).  This is despite the fact that the Samba documentation implies that it should work.

NTLMv2 did not work reliably until recent samba 3.0.2X releases.
    Vista Home Basic/Premium does not have secpol.msc. Ultimate does.

K Frazier wrote:

I had the same issue with my Linksys Media Server Router (WRTSL54GS) which offers SAMBA based NAS.

In addition to the suggestion to change the LSA Compatability from 3 to 1 (NTLMv2 required to NTLMv2 if available), which reverts back to XP type of authentication, I also found that treating the UserID as that of a foreign domain controller works.

That is...If your NAS is a member of the FOO workgroup, when you pass your authentication info, you can specify the format of "FOO\userid" in the username field.  It is important to use the Workgroup name and not the NAS server machine name.  This should work for most current generation SAMBA implementations.

The full solution for Vista Home Basic/Premium+ SambaV2/V3:

Set HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\LMCompatibilityLevel from 0x3 to 0x1 to switch from "0x3: Try NTLMv2" (Confuses samba) to "0x1: Negotiate NTLMv2 if possible, Try NTLMv1, else use MSLANMAN".

Vista also REQUIRES a domain identifier before the username:
    For all of us home users without a domain controller, use your WORKGROUP name instead of a DOMAIN identifier:

If I wanted to log in on a machine named "SERVER", one would assume you would use "SERVER\username" but this is incorrect.
    What you actually want to do is login as "WORKGROUP\username" with Vista AFTER setting LMCompatibilityLevel to 0x1.

So, for many people this would look something similar to:
    "MSHOME\Owner" or "MSHOME\Administrator"

Remember, you need both the registry edit AND the identifier\username!

Good luck!

--Kamilion
    Wednesday, April 30, 2008 8:22 PM
  • Setting the 'EnablePlainTextPassword' to 1 worked for me.  Strange thing is that it used to work.. so maybe some update or installation changed this setting ? 

Thanks DanGB Smile

Monday, May 5, 2008 9:11 AM
  • I have done the regedit (no secpol on my home premium or ultimate systems). My samba is set to anonomous so the password is no longer an issue.

From Windows 2003 server I can mount San and read and write to the Nas drive. but  I can't set up a share.

From both Vista systems I get the same behavour - I can't map the drives on the network because only one NAS shows up (I have 4) so I have searched and mapped them by IP address. I now have 4 drives visable on all machines.

As stated Windows 2003 if usually fine with theses drives, but the two Vista systems have problems and in both cases Explorer can hang the system and I can't even kill it with task manager - usually I have to re-boot. This happens when I get in the the NAS drive 1 or 2 levels deep. I don't know the firmware of my Samba server and I can't get at any of the Samba settings but I have discovered that the maximum files in a directory on my Samba drives is 200. If I ensure that the file structure on the drives is kept below this 200 level then I can get a bit further and access levels that previously locked (sometimes only half displayed). The 200 limit seems to be directly related to the error "network path is no longer available"

I still have the situation where explorer locks up and kills my Vista system.

I am going to try Windows server 2008 as a workstation system on one of my machines but I don't expect it to be any better. On the others I am going back to XPonce I have tried to find an alternative Explorer application, I have had it with Vista and I recommend all my clients to stay with XP as long as they can. I have heard that Microsoft are going to force Vista on us from the 1st of June with no more XP licences for the OEM channel, is this true?

This problem needs action from Microsoft to release a really good fix for Vista with Samba drives. The work arounds in this thread doesn't fix it for everyone.

I have downloaded a number of different explorer replacements - so far I have tried A43 and it works I can get deeper in to my San Drives and no freezing.

I will be trying them all out - free ones first then the commercial versions, but on first test I think I might have found a way to live with my San drives on Vista.

Microsoft - you need to sort this out!!!

Thursday, May 8, 2008 8:01 AM
  • If you have the Network drive no longer available - then the directory you have just tried to access possibly has more files in it than the Samba setting. If you set up your drive via USB then this can easily be the case. The default limit for Samba is 200,  you may or may not be able to change this value depending on your flavour of Samba drive.

Givce it a try.

Kev

Thursday, May 8, 2008 8:05 AM
  • I am in exactly the same boat with my Vista Business, at my witts end

Thursday, May 8, 2008 8:09 AM
  • Are you seeing a login box when you boot up?

Thursday, May 8, 2008 8:13 AM
  •  

Likely not the most secure solution for some people but setting LMCompatibility to 0 worked for me with a Bytecc Landisk ME-850 that just wasn't happy with it set to 1..

(Yeah, I'm sure it's not secure but I could care less since it's a small office LAN.  Encryption is meaningless in my setup)

Sunday, June 1, 2008 4:29 AM

Although the device appears in my workgroup, Vista continually asks for username and password then fails to connect.

If this is the case is there any way to switch to "slow query" so that Samba drives will work? Has anyone got a Samba drive working in Vista?

Monday, June 1, 2009 6:28 AM

Monday, June 1, 2009 6:33 AM
  • This was a great start for me, but I was still not able to connect until I also navigated to

"Network security: Do not store LAN Manager hash value on next password change"

and changed the setting from "enabled"
    to
    "disabled"

to match the default setting in Windows XP.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 4:02 PM
  • ok, so I have got the Landisk to work with Vista using the firmware as described above. Works great if I don't want a password on any folder on the disk.

If I set a password on a folder, obviously I am asked to login with a user name and password, but what on earth will the user name be? I've tried "admin", "guest", "user" and my Vista user name, have also tried all these with the workgroup name too: "MSHOME\admin", "MSHOME\guest" etc. etc.

So what is the default user name used by these Landisks?
    Friday, October 16, 2009 6:55 AM
  • Hope I'm not stating the obvious but if you're connecting to SAMBA the default user would not be admin but 'root'. No pass I think since it's NAS.
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 9:23 AM
  • Should there not be another way to set this? I have an XP machine that can connect to my Sambe server but Vista can't unless I hack the registry based on something I read on the internet? Common Microsoft, that's very lame.

btw: The line you show from the registry doesn't contain 0x3 in it. So where would this be changed?

Monday, January 3, 2011 1:02 AM
  • "just type secpol.msc in either the run line, or the search line and hit enter, even though it does not find anything it will open the correct consol, and you can follow the rest of the instructions."

No, I just get Vista telling me nothing matches my query. What "correct consol"? What instructions?

Monday, January 3, 2011 1:04 AM
  • By default, Samba only allows 200 files in a directory? Really? How does that make any sense -a stupid limit like that must trip up a lot of people setting up file servers,
    Monday, January 3, 2011 1:29 AM
  • Hi
    Thanks to this forum I have [SOLVED] a login problem with my Pleiades USB-Lan Disk NAS. I was getting the "connect to" request with username and password window. There was NO password configured on the NAS, and no password/username combination either as recommended above or what I could think of, worked. FTP was connecting but constantly requesting the password/username be reentered! This was only on the one windows XP computer. A Windows 7 computer and another XP computer were fine. Both XP computers were SP3.

Running secpol.msc showed that the problem XP computer had a different entry under:
    Local Policies - Security Options - Network Access - 'Network access: Sharing and security model for local accounts'

There are two options available in the 'Sharing and security model...':
    1. Classic: Local users authenticate as themselves.
    2. Guest only: Local users authenticate as Guest.

The problem computer had the 'Guest only' option. I changed it to the 'Classic' option.

Did not need to reboot

I am not sure how this occured. Windows was recently repaired on this computer.

Thanks

Monday, March 14, 2011 10:37 AM