none
Getting logs from my driver... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm developping a driver for Windows Embedded Standard 7 using WDF. I have a Linux background and not yet comfortable with Windows Dev. tools.

I'm trying to get logs from my driver (WPP tracing enabled) but I failed. I've followed the procedure explaining how to do the job but I got no output into TraceView utility.

I successfully built and deployed my driver, generated TMF files via tracepdb.exe, created a CTL file containing the trace name and GUID of my driver and configured TraceView (creating a log session -> providing the CTL file + selecting the directory where my TMF files are installed + enabling "RealTime" display). But nothing is printed... Does I miss something ? Any clue ?

Does it exist a simple way to get kernel/driver message (like "dmesg or /var/log" on Linux) ? (this is not a troll)

Note that my driver is visible into the Device Manager and the client application (userland) not run yet. Indeed, for now, I just need information about how KMDF framework calls my driver.

Thanks in advance for your feedback. Cheers.

[===========================]

Host : Win7Pro/SP1
    Target : Win7EmbStandard/SP1
    Link : USB-serial converter

[===========================]
    Friday, September 27, 2013 4:36 PM

Answers

• Hi Don,

I succeed to get traces. I have to explicitly run the TraceView application as an "Administrator" even if WDKRemoteUser is already an administrator.

Thanks, Cheers.
    • Marked as answer by Netguesh Friday, October 4, 2013 10:51 AM
    Friday, October 4, 2013 10:51 AM

All replies

• The simplest approach is DbgPrint but this has the most overhead.   You say in TraceView you use a CTL file, have you tried just using the PDB directly?

Don Burn Windows Filesystem and Driver Consulting Website: http://www.windrvr.com Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/WinDrvr

Friday, September 27, 2013 4:49 PM
  • Hi Don,

Thanks again for your feedback :)

I start developping my driver using VS2013 KMDF project templates and WDF samples code (e.g. PLx9x5x). Both use WPP tracing mechanism which looks to be a low overhead logging system. If you've no opposition, I would like to continue using it.

I tried your advice with no result. When TraceView starts I can see a transcient message (few millisecond) which says that my log session is stopped. Do you know why ?

I reinstalled my driver, I deactivated/activated the driver from the "Device Manager" but I got no trace.

Cheers.
    Monday, September 30, 2013 9:27 AM
  • Hi Don,

I succeed to get traces. I have to explicitly run the TraceView application as an "Administrator" even if WDKRemoteUser is already an administrator.

Thanks, Cheers.
    • Marked as answer by Netguesh Friday, October 4, 2013 10:51 AM
    Friday, October 4, 2013 10:51 AM