Skip to main content

none
SQL Server 2019 Polybase Performance issues with wide external tables on Oracle RRS feed

• Question

• SQL Server 2019 Polybase Performance issues with wide external tables on Oracle.

We are testing Polybase performance and we have an issue with wide ORACLE tables (100+ columns) - they perform very slowly, and take minutes to execute a simple select statement whereas accessing the same ORACLE table through a narrow external table is much faster.

We ultimately need to expose all of the columns from ORACLE tables.

What can we do to make performance of wide External Tables better?

RAM, CPU, Disk IO increase didn't make any difference to performance...

Thanks in advance!

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 2:46 PM

All replies

• Hi Madina Morgenstern,

Troubleshooting SQL Server performance problems, we need to gather data that about your SQL server environment . One of the tools is the Perfstats Script. Maybe you can ask professional engineer for help, and they will deal with your problem separately and confidentially. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/assistedsupportproducts

Hope this could help you.

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, October 17, 2019 7:15 AM
  • Hi Cathy,

I am not able to create a support ticket for sql server 2019, because "SQL Server 2019 is available to customers enrolled in the Early Adopter Program. "

Thursday, October 17, 2019 4:57 PM
  • Hi Madina,

It is not too late to join the EAP so that you can ask your question there.

Have you done this yet?

https://sqlservervnexteap.azurewebsites.net/

Kind Regards, JRJ

Thursday, October 17, 2019 6:21 PM
  • Hi JRJ,

yes I did register, and received an email that I will be contacted. 

Still waiting :)

Thanks!

Friday, October 18, 2019 2:22 PM
  • Hi JRJ,

yes I did register, and received an email that I will be contacted. 

Still waiting :)

Thanks!

Hi Madina Morgenstern,

Have you joined the EAP? And did you resolve your issue? If you have resolved your issue, please mark the useful reply as answer. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

In addition, if you have another questions, please feel free to ask.
    Thanks for your contribution.

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, October 21, 2019 7:44 AM
  • Hello, Cathy!

I joined EAP, but I was not contacted yet by anyne, and have not resolved the issue yet.

Are there any chances that I will be contacted soon?

Thanks,

Madina

Monday, October 21, 2019 6:16 PM
  •  Hi,

Please be patient, there will definitely be someone to contact you.

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 9:33 AM