none
ASP app failing to create COM objects on IIS7

    Question

  • I have an ASP app that I'm trying to run on Vista/IIS7. The ASP page creates a COM object that provides some content to the page but this is failing to create with the error:

    Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a01ad'

    ActiveX component can't create object: 'ProgID....'

    The COM object is installed/registered and can be created with oleview. If I run procmon (sysinternals) looking at the registry access for w3wp.exe, I get entries where it's looking at HKCR/ProgID.... but returns NAME NOT FOUND. It obviously exists because Oleview can create the object.

    The IIS website has anonymous authentication enabled and this is set to the same user that I'm logged on as. I've made this user an administrator - still failed, all usernames/passwords have been checked and reentered although I can't run iisreset because access is denied. Not sure what to do next...

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thursday, January 18, 2007 2:40 PM

All replies

  • I ran into this very same issue in IIS7 on Server 2008 64bit. I found a setting under Application Pools::[AppPool]::Advanced Settings...

     

    In the Advanced Settings dialog, there is a "Enable 32-Bit Applications" boolean value. It's default is false.

     

    Changing that value to true fixed all my ActiveX Server Create Object problems.

     

    • Proposed as answer by along Tuesday, February 22, 2011 4:38 PM
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 10:36 PM
  • Did you ever find a solution to this problem?  I am having a similar one and have tried everything we know.

     

    Tim

    Monday, August 25, 2008 2:32 PM
  •  kjbkjb wrote:

    I ran into this very same issue in IIS7 on Server 2008 64bit. I found a setting under Application Pools::[AppPool]::Advanced Settings...

     

    In the Advanced Settings dialog, there is a "Enable 32-Bit Applications" boolean value. It's default is false.

     

    Changing that value to true fixed all my ActiveX Server Create Object problems.

     

     

    It's been a few months since you posted this solution, but it was a real life-saver for me tonight -- thank you!!  

    Sunday, September 7, 2008 2:00 AM
  • I just ran into the same thing and was pulling my hair out.  This fixed it all!!!  Thanks!!

     

    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 11:37 PM
  • Thank you SO much - Exactly what i needed to bring this old application (and the SASMTP mailer) over to our new servers.

    A BIG help!

    Thursday, July 1, 2010 5:40 AM
  • Thanks for the solution. Making enable for 32 bit fixed it.
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 3:13 PM
  • Thanks man, 32 bits was the solution.
    Friday, July 8, 2011 1:08 AM
  • Dude, I created a microsoft account just to say big THANK YOU!
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 10:47 AM