none
Loading data to Dynamics 365 Finance and Operations RRS feed

• Question

• For Data loading to Dynamics 365, ADF has a Dynamics 365 connector. However it doesn't support load to Dynamics 365 Finance and Operations application type. It is suggested that To copy data from Dynamics 365 Finance and Operations, you can use the Dynamics AX connector. However Dynamics AX connector can be used as a source and not a Sink. Is there any other way to load data to Dynamics 365 Finance and Operations using Azure data factory.

Manish Pradhan

Friday, December 6, 2019 7:32 AM

All replies

• Hello Manish Pradhan and thank you for your question.  I will reach out internally for more information.
    Friday, December 6, 2019 6:41 PM
  • Hello Manish Pradhan.  I have a work-around for this feature gap.

If you don’t mind using a 3rd party component on Sequel Server Integration Services IR in ADF, there’s https://www.kingswaysoft.com/products/ssis-integration-toolkit-for-microsoft-dynamics-365/help-manual/ax.

Monday, December 9, 2019 8:05 PM
  • Thanks Chirag.. We are also thinking of the same. However are there any plans for  the connector in ADF itself as there are connectors available for all other instance type of Microsoft Dynamics in Azure data factory which support both source and sink. Also found some forums where it was mentioned that logic apps or Azure databricks can also be used for this but sufficient documentation is not available around the same- If you have any information around the same please let us know. Currently we arent using SSIS anywhere in our solution and will need to use SSIS only for this purpose. 

Manish Pradhan

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 12:43 PM
  • I did look into Logic Apps.  It does have a connector for Finance & Operations.  I was going to mention it to you, but you specified solution had to be in Data Factory.  Logic Apps is outside my area of expertise, so I am asking my colleague whether he knows of any caveats / limitations.  

I will also ask the Data Factory team for comment.

Thursday, December 12, 2019 12:22 AM
  • There are no plans to support Finance & Operations as a sink in Copy Activity in the near future.

I noticed that Operation & Finance has an article on OData.  Data Factory has an OData connector.  I speculate it is possible to write to Operations & Finance using OData.  Unfortunately I do not have access to a Dynamics instance to test myself.

Further investigation reveals other integration options offered by Dynamics.  See this link.  If your instance is on-premise, you may be restricted to the batch (REST) api.  Data Factory has a REST connector.  The Data Factory REST connector is very picky about pagination.  Please let me know if you run into trouble with the pagination.

I expect to hear back from my colleague about Logic App tomorrow.

Thursday, December 12, 2019 1:35 AM
  • Thanks a lot for checking out.. In case Logic apps works out , We can consider calling Logic APPS from Data factory using Web Activity. Also found an article on LinkedIn around usage of Logic APPS for loading data to  Dynamics Finance and Operation. However better to get it validated from the data factory team if it is recommended\suited from performance perspective for loading large volumes of data.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/file-based-integration-dynamics-365-finance-operation-nitish-dikshit/?trackingId=IYoJwRc%2BeKY%2Fh9Gghn3Nsg%3D%3D

Manish Pradhan

Thursday, December 12, 2019 7:12 AM
  • Thanks again Martin.  I went through the documentation of the OData connector in Data factory https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/data-factory/connector-odata. It is mentioned that 

This HTTP connector is supported for the following activities:

When I checked the supported source/sink matrix, it refers to the same dynamics AX connector which is not supported as a sink.

Manish Pradhan

Thursday, December 12, 2019 7:44 AM
  • Ah, I was suggesting to use the Generic OData or Generic Http as opposed to the Dynamics AX connector.  The service connectors such as the Dynamics AX connector are usually specialized versions of the generic protocols.

My colleague said Logic Apps should work.  (Logic Apps is probably the easiest solution.)

I have been doing some reading of the Operation & Finance API docs.  According to import API and getblob API, it sounds like Dynamics is associated with Azure blob storage, which it uses for both import and export.  If this is the case, I wonder if it would be possible to instead write directly to the blob storage, and then cause Dynamics to start the ingestion process.

The first step in this would be to go to the associated blob storage account and grant access to the Data Factory.  In RBAC, contributor role would be sufficient.

The second step would be to find a location in blob storage that will not interfere with normal operation.  Create an Azure Blob linked service and Dataset for this location.  Also, determine the URL for that location.  It would take the form of 

https://<account_name>.blob.core.windows.net/dmf/<uniqueFileName>

The third step would be to create an app registration and give it permissions with Dynamics as per this link.

The fourth step would be to use copy activity to push the file to blob storage.

The fifth step would be to authenticate using the app registration, and then cause Dynamics to import the data.
    This breaks down into 2 steps.  First, a Web activity is used to get an OAuth bearer token.  The token is used in a header in the next activity.

"Authentication" : "Bearer <token_goes_here>"

Friday, December 13, 2019 3:11 AM
  • Thanks Martin.. We still are waiting for access. But this seems a good solution. Will try it out and let you know as soon as we get started.

Manish Pradhan

Friday, December 13, 2019 12:29 PM
  • I'm sorry Data Factory didn't support your buisness needs, but I do my best to come up with hacks and work-arounds.
    Saturday, December 14, 2019 1:15 AM