View History Snapshots not available when using Linked Reports RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am seeing strange behavior when I create a Linked report and try generating history snapshots on it using a schedule.  I am using SSRS 2017 Enterprise Edition.

The history snapshots are properly generated, but when I click on the three little dots "..." to "View history snapshots", the "View history snapshots" option is not available. 

I can still get to the "View history snapshots" option if I subsequently click "Manage".  This behavior is different for non-linked reports that have history available.

Steps:

1. Create a MASTER report.
    2. Create a LINKED report which is linked to MASTER.
    3. Generate history snapshots on LINKED report using a schedule (my schedule is once every 12 hours).
    4. Click on the three little dots of LINKED report and see if "View history snapshots" option is available.  (Unavailable for me).
    5. Click on "Manage" and see if "View history snapshots" is available. (Works for me)

It is confusing for my user-community who are used to clicking "View history snapshots" without having to go to "Manage".

Is this the intended behavior, or am I missing something here?

Thanks!

--Dan

Monday, August 3, 2020 1:01 PM

Answers

• Hi Dan,

I have tested this issue in my environments, and I also tested it with other edition. In my tests, the behavior is the same, and I tend to think we are not missing anything here.

I think it is by design that linked report does not have the "View history snapshots" directly in the opened window.

I suggest you submit the requirement at https://feedback.azure.com/forums/908035-sql-server.

If the requirement mentioned by customers for many times, the product team may consider to add this feature in the next SQL Server version. Your feedback is valuable for us to improve our products and increase the level of service provided.

Regards,

Lukas

""SQL Server related"" forum will be migrated to a new home on Microsoft Q&A SQL Server!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "SQL Server related" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A SQL Server !
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

• Marked as answer by DJAdan Tuesday, August 4, 2020 12:28 PM
    Tuesday, August 4, 2020 2:56 AM

All replies

• Hi Dan,

I have tested this issue in my environments, and I also tested it with other edition. In my tests, the behavior is the same, and I tend to think we are not missing anything here.

I think it is by design that linked report does not have the "View history snapshots" directly in the opened window.

I suggest you submit the requirement at https://feedback.azure.com/forums/908035-sql-server.

If the requirement mentioned by customers for many times, the product team may consider to add this feature in the next SQL Server version. Your feedback is valuable for us to improve our products and increase the level of service provided.

Regards,

Lukas

""SQL Server related"" forum will be migrated to a new home on Microsoft Q&A SQL Server!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "SQL Server related" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A SQL Server !
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

• Marked as answer by DJAdan Tuesday, August 4, 2020 12:28 PM
    Tuesday, August 4, 2020 2:56 AM
  • Hi Lukas,

Thank you for your response.

I find this surprising as this is a regression from SSRS 2008R2.  In my case, I have specific default parameters assigned to the linked report that we want to save as history snapshots.  The fact that the history is properly generated and is available via "Manage .. View History Snapshots" implies that the intended behavior is to support saved history.

Why it's not available on the first level menu is a mystery to me, especially since if this were not a linked report, it would be.

My users will adapt.  It just makes the feature harder to use.

Thanks again!

--Dan

Tuesday, August 4, 2020 12:36 PM