none
Solved : Turn Windows features on or off is blank or empty while opening

General discussion

• Successfully solved : Turn windows features on or off blank fix 

If you are going to enable or disable or installing any feature in windows 7, you have to do the setup through “Turn Windows features on or off” in Programs and Features.

When you click on it, Windows Features dialog will appear asking you to “Please wait” and it will start searching for a list of windows features such as games, indexing service, internet information services (IIS) and etc that you can turn on or off. Windows Features is actually pretty much the same as Add/Remove Windows Component in Windows XP. You can also run Windows Features by typing optionalfeatures.exe at run or command prompt.

ISSUE:

In Windows 7 while going to enable “ Turn Windows features on or off “ in programs and features left side option the dialog it will be came out empty or blank.

Normally you can able to see “please wait” initially after it tries to list out all the features, but if the machine having issue then it totally shows blank.

For this issue Microsoft has created a knowledge base 931712 to acknowledge the problem and also provided 2 solutions to resolve this issue. but this solution is didn't work & it will not rectify this issue.

SOLUTION:

Download System Update Readiness Tool from Microsoft and install the machine. Please select OS compatible package(OS & supporting bit version) and download the file.

Article page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821?wa=wsignin1.0

Download Link : http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3132

Tool Name: 

System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 (KB947821) [November 2012] - Windows6.1-KB947821-v25-x86.msu

(System Update Readiness Tool fixes Windows Update errors in Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 R2, and Windows Server 2008)

once successfully installed then you can go to >control panel >programs and features > and click the left side option “ Turn Windows features on or off” and check.

If it’s not again listed please restart the machine then check.

After it will work fine.

This is what I faced and fixed this issue after long way through Google help.

If this post was helpful to you please login this site and vote for me.

Thanks & Regards,

D. Jagadish

• Edited by d.jagadish Friday, November 08, 2013 11:01 AM
    • Moved by Sheng Jiang 蒋晟MVP Saturday, June 14, 2014 2:54 AM not programming related, use answers.microsoft.com instead
    Tuesday, December 18, 2012 2:16 PM

All replies

• Worked perfectly. Thank you.
    Wednesday, October 16, 2013 6:12 AM
  • thank you

Friday, November 29, 2013 2:18 PM
  • It says the update is not applicable with your computer . help .

Sunday, April 13, 2014 5:41 PM
  • Because the above package is for 32-bit OS, you can download the 64-bit version here: 

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20858

Monday, April 14, 2014 12:55 PM
  • Dear All,

Thank you very much given good suggestion to me, I'm traded to follow above given steps but not yet resolve. Please help.

Download and installed your given Windows6.1-KB947821-v33-x86 patch file

Still it’s showing white page while trying to click on Turn windows features on or off.

Thanks & Regards

Veerababu

Sunday, May 18, 2014 1:01 PM
  • Install the following

Windows 7 32 bit = Windows6.1-KB958830-x64-RefreshPkg.msu

Windows 7 64 Bit = Windows6.1-KB958830-x86-RefreshPkg.msu

files found here:

microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7887

good luck (worked for me!)

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 3:02 PM