none
Disk change not detected in Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I wrote a FTL driver for a PCCard that is connected over an USB adaptor (the adapter has it's own driver, my driver acts af FDO and depends on it). While testing with Windows 10 (64 bit) I could see that I still can see the contents of the media even if it was removed. I tested as follows:

• Attached adaptor to USB, media (PC card) is not inserted
      -> Device was installed properly, a new volume shows up in Windows Explorer
      -> Accessing the volume in Explorer brings the "No media in drive" message -> OK, that was what I expected
    • Inserted the media into the adaptor
      -> Accessing the volume in Explorer shows the contents of the media-> OK, that was what I expected
    • Removing the media from the adaptor (the adaptor itselfs remains connected to USB)
      -> Accessing the volume in Explorer still shows the contents of the media -> FAIL!!! -> The "No media in drive" messge was expected
    • Well, if I'm going to try to write to the media after it was removed, I get a "Catastrophic failure" message and after that the system has finally recognised that there is no media in drive

As far as I could find out this behaviour applies to Windows 10 only. I did the same thing on a Windows 7 machine and when I try to acceess the volume after the media was removed I get the "No media in drive" message as expected.

So, I enabled some debug outputs and played the game above again. Comparing the results with Windows 7 I could see that I do not recieve IOCTL_DISK_CHECK_VERIFY/IOCTL_STORAGE_CHECK_VERIFY messages any more once the contents of the media have been read successfully.  While Windows 7 sends a few IOCTL_DISK_CHECK_VERIFY, I got "tons" of IRP_MJ_CREATE, IRP_MJ_CLOSE, IRP_MJ_CLEANUP and IOCTL_MOUNTDEV_QUERY_DEVICE_NAME on Windows 10 in that case. Unfortunately, there is no IRP_MJ_PNP when the media is removed.

Do you have any ideas what I can do to fix this? Have much thanks in before.

Best regards,
    Willy K.

• Edited by Willi K Tuesday, September 25, 2018 1:00 PM Added more detals
    Tuesday, September 25, 2018 12:27 PM