Skip to main content

none
Service 'Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.IRegistrationService in SQL server management studio RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I am using SQL server management studio 2012. All was working fine but just few hrs before deployement it stopped working. when i open SQL server management studio it does not loads any database inside it and shows and error 

Service 'Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.IRegistrationService' not found
    (Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SDK.SqlStudio)

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
    ------------------------------
    Service 'Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.IRegistrationService' not found (Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SDK.SqlStudio)
    BUTTONS:

OK

Please tell me how can i fix this

Sajid

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 6:47 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Did you try to run the SQL Server Management Studio as an administrator?

Please also check the Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SDK.SqlStudio.dll in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio folder.  If it lack of Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SDK.SqlStudio.dll file, please try to repair your SQL Server.

Regards,
    Fanny Liu

Fanny Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 9:01 AM
  • hi Folks

I found the solution ! Grap the MS SQL 2012 SP1 DVD, flip to "Maintenance" tab, go for Repair ! run the repair and the error go away !

Good luck

D

:)

• Marked as answer by SajiD designer Saturday, October 18, 2014 9:49 PM
    Friday, May 30, 2014 5:52 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Did you try to run the SQL Server Management Studio as an administrator?

Please also check the Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SDK.SqlStudio.dll in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio folder.  If it lack of Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SDK.SqlStudio.dll file, please try to repair your SQL Server.

Regards,
    Fanny Liu

Fanny Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 9:01 AM
  • hello Fanny Liu

I have  the same issue with this error.

My firs tissue is the SSRS  subscription grayed out. Then I follow the instruction at this page

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms345234.aspx

trying to modify the SSRS config file, RSReportServer.config. After I restart the SQL Server service, this error crops up. Even I restore the original file, this error does not go away.

Due to this error, I can not reload the database, and I have so many data that I need to process.

Can you help ?

I checked the corresponding dll file still existed at the folder - C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio folder

thank you

Daniel

>< ...

Friday, May 30, 2014 1:08 AM
  • hi Folks

I found the solution ! Grap the MS SQL 2012 SP1 DVD, flip to "Maintenance" tab, go for Repair ! run the repair and the error go away !

Good luck

D

:)

• Marked as answer by SajiD designer Saturday, October 18, 2014 9:49 PM
    Friday, May 30, 2014 5:52 AM
  • Hi, 

We are facing the same issue, but with sql management studio 2014 service pack 2. We have tried everything suggested here, but nothing helps. I would be grateful for more suggestions.

Regards 

Magnus

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 7:15 AM
  • I got this after breaking internet explorer. The troubleshooting was far from obvious, but in the end, I found out that I had moved "Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer" inadvertently to a sibling folder; restoring the folder location (generalizing: fixing internet explorer) ended in fixing SSMS.
    • Proposed as answer by NirvanaNrv Friday, August 4, 2017 3:14 PM
    Friday, August 4, 2017 3:14 PM
  • FOR ANYONE STILL SEARCHING ON THIS PROBLEM IN 2018...

I discovered indirectly that OneDrive's hijacking of "This PC -> Documents" really screws a lot of things up.

Turn that off via the OneDrive app, and everything behaves itself again, including SQL Server Management Studio.

So, if none of the other solutions here help you? Try that!

Saturday, August 25, 2018 10:18 PM
  • "Did you try to run the SQL Server Management Studio as an administrator?"

What does that mean? Are you supposed to run it as administrator (seems like a very bad idea!) or not?

Tuesday, April 23, 2019 2:10 PM
  • This has fixed my problems here even with SMSS 17.xxx and 18.xxx

Thanks

Diacov Informatica

Thursday, May 23, 2019 4:12 PM
  • This works. Thank you! 
    Saturday, October 12, 2019 8:48 PM
  • This resolved my problem. Thanks Uncle Mikey!
    Wednesday, November 6, 2019 10:18 PM