[Announcement] “Visual Basic” Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A! RRS feed

• General discussion

• This "Visual Basic" Forum will be migrated to a new home on Microsoft Q&A!

We've listened to your feedback on how we can enhance the forum experience. Microsoft Q&A allows us to add new functionality and enables easier access to all the technical resources most useful to you, like Microsoft Docs and Microsoft Learn.

Now until Nov 29, 2020:

From Nov 30, 2019 until Dec 14, 2020:

• New posts - We invite you to post new questions in the "Visual Basic" forum's new home on Microsoft Q&A. The current forum will not allow any new questions.
    • Existing posts - Interact here with existing content, answer questions, provide comments, etc.

Dec 14, 2020 onward:

• This forum will be closed to all new and existing posts and all interactions will be on Microsoft Q&A.

We are excited about moving to Microsoft Q&A and seeing you there.

Learn More

Tuesday, November 17, 2020 2:49 AM

All replies

• This "Visual Basic" Forum will be migrated to a new home on Microsoft Q&A!

• New posts - We invite you to post new questions in the ".NET Framework Setup and Servicing" forum's new home on Microsoft Q&A. The current forum will not allow any new questions.

How does that forum relate to Visual Basic issues?

Isn't VB going to have its own "tag" on Q&A?

- Wayne

Tuesday, November 17, 2020 3:17 AM
  • Thanks Wayne for reminding,

It's a typo, updated now. VB is going to have its own tag!

Best Regards,

Charles

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 17, 2020 4:11 AM
  • Hi Charles,
    I hope by then you will fix the errors in the buggy forum software, especially the incorrect formatting of posted VB code.

--
    Best Regards / Viele Grüße
    Peter Fleischer (former MVP for Developer Technologies)
    Homepage, Tipps, Tricks

Tuesday, November 17, 2020 6:23 AM
  • The Tags are weird

There are :

dotnet-visual-basic
    dotnet-adonet
    dotnet-console
    and
    windows-forms

Why this unique Tag windows-forms ?

Tuesday, November 17, 2020 7:29 AM
  • Thanks Peter for the feedback,

We are also pushing QA team to fix this:)

Best Regards,

Charles

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 17, 2020 8:35 AM
  • Thanks for point out this Castorix,

Will discuss with QA team to see whether we need to unify them.

Best Regards,

Charles

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, November 17, 2020 8:40 AM
  • Hi

I see that 'Small Basic has 4 tags, but not one for VB.NET as far as I can see!

Regards Les, Livingston, Scotland

Tuesday, November 17, 2020 1:13 PM
  • Hi

VB.NET is called dotnet-visual-basic

(but I never type this on Google when I search some code, always VB.NET or C#...)

Tuesday, November 17, 2020 1:19 PM
  • Hi

VB.NET is called dotnet-visual-basic

(but I never type this on Google when I search some code, always VB.NET or C#...)

Hi

Directed at those having decision making powers for the Q&A stuff.

There are forums then there is Q&A .............

Off to a great start - I mean - dotnet-visual-basic - really! Why? What was wrong with the obvious commonly used and often quoted VB.NET!

Just add VB.NET tag and point it at the dotnet-visual-basic forum!

Tuesday, November 17, 2020 1:24 PM
  • Hi Charles,
    please, push another problem. If I type VB.NET the QA forum software include automatically wrong link.

--
    Homepage, Tipps, Tricks

Tuesday, November 17, 2020 3:06 PM
  • Hello,

May have missed this but have not seen it and would think it's a better idea than seeing popular post.

Done on Stackoverflow

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

My GitHub code samples
    GitHub page

Tuesday, November 17, 2020 6:09 PM
  • Hello,

May have missed this but have not seen it and would think it's a better idea than seeing popular post.

Done on Stackoverflow

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

My GitHub code samples
    GitHub page

I like this feature.  Then it doesn't matter what the tag is so long as you get it right once.

Search Documentation

SerialPort Info

Multics - An OS ahead of its time.

 "Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does

    and those who know what it does never use it."    former MSDN User JohnWein

Tuesday, November 17, 2020 7:41 PM
  • Hello,

Done on Stackoverflow

My GitHub code samples
    GitHub page

I like this feature.  Then it doesn't matter what the tag is so long as you get it right once.

Search Documentation

SerialPort Info

Been doing this for years, the tag come and go as I see fit. Then there is this too.

My GitHub code samples
    GitHub page

Tuesday, November 17, 2020 8:01 PM
  • Thanks all for the great discussion here, will summarize these feedbacks and share with QA team.

Thanks again,

Charles

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, November 18, 2020 5:22 AM
  • Hi Charles,
    is there any API to use QA with own application like NNTP in Outlook Express or Thunderbird? Where can I find documentation about this API?

--
    Homepage, Tipps, Tricks

Wednesday, November 18, 2020 7:12 AM
  • Thanks all for the great discussion here, will summarize these feedbacks and share with QA team.

Thanks again,

Charles

MSDN Community Support

From what I can tell there aren't any Questions tageed

dotnet-visual-basic

When I search for vb .net I get results, but a lot don't seem to match that.

This looks like a mess inside of a train wreck.

Search Documentation

SerialPort Info

Wednesday, November 18, 2020 2:05 PM
  • Hi

Uless I am missing something - I just visited the Q&A site and thinking I was not logged in, tried to log in - there was no changes in the page I was on to show that I was now logged in - except, I found that the drop-down to choose what to display had all of the 'My .....' options which must mean I was already logged in.  It might be an idea to show the User that they are indeed logged in (and change the 'Log In' option in the menu to 'Log Out'.

ADDED:

then, tried to find a previous site feedback I had posted with no joy at all. While searching, followed a link which took me to this forum and then when returning, got this cryptic message - anyone know what it means in plain english!

• Edited by leshay Wednesday, November 18, 2020 3:29 PM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2020 3:16 PM

• Uless I am missing something - I just visited the Q&A site and thinking I was not logged in, tried to log in - there was no changes in the page I was on to show that I was now logged in - except, I found that the drop-down to choose what to display had all of the 'My .....' options which must mean I was already logged in.  It might be an idea to show the User that they are indeed logged in (and change the 'Log In' option in the menu to 'Log Out'.

Whenever I'm not signed in there is a link in the upper right corner to sign in
    from. After I sign in that link changes to show my avatar.

Clicking on my avatar gives a menu of choices, including one to sign out.

- Wayne

Wednesday, November 18, 2020 3:34 PM
  • Thanks for your answer! That's what I was missing all the time. 

Joslyn

Wednesday, November 18, 2020 3:42 PM

• Uless I am missing something - I just visited the Q&A site and thinking I was not logged in, tried to log in - there was no changes in the page I was on to show that I was now logged in - except, I found that the drop-down to choose what to display had all of the 'My .....' options which must mean I was already logged in.  It might be an idea to show the User that they are indeed logged in (and change the 'Log In' option in the menu to 'Log Out'.

Whenever I'm not signed in there is a link in the upper right corner to sign in
    from. After I sign in that link changes to show my avatar.

Clicking on my avatar gives a menu of choices, including one to sign out.

- Wayne

Hi

Thanks for that.  Due to failing eyesight, I use a zoomed in view and those items were off page.

Wednesday, November 18, 2020 4:04 PM
  • Hi Charles,
    please, push the problem "Access denied":

Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/search.html?" on this server.

--
    Homepage, Tipps, Tricks

Monday, November 23, 2020 3:58 PM
  • Hi Peter,

Try this [Announcement] Access Denied error when posting content - Microsoft Q&A.

Best Regards,

Charles

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, November 24, 2020 2:46 AM
  • I see that my username has changed and my reputation started over.  NICE job!

Search Documentation

SerialPort Info

Wednesday, November 25, 2020 3:22 PM

Search Documentation

SerialPort Info

Hi

I don't know if there is a 'right' way to do the change over, but in my case, I just logged into Q&A with my default MS credentials and my reputation was set at 71 (don't ask me the what is the relationship between points here and reputation), but at least there is something happening there.  The thing is, I don't really care too much about points/reputation but for members who do, it is like a kick in the teeth to lose out on the change over.

I see Karen has landed with a thump - I am showing a *much* better reputation - newbie 😂

• Edited by leshay Wednesday, November 25, 2020 3:37 PM
    Wednesday, November 25, 2020 3:36 PM

Search Documentation

SerialPort Info

Hi

I don't know if there is a 'right' way to do the change over, but in my case, I just logged into Q&A with my default MS credentials and my reputation was set at 71 (don't ask me the what is the relationship between points here and reputation), but at least there is something happening there.  The thing is, I don't really care too much about points/reputation but for members who do, it is like a kick in the teeth to lose out on the change over.

I see Karen has landed with a thump - I am showing a *much* better reputation - newbie 😂

The points aren't a big deal but the username is.  I tried to change the Display Name but got an error message.

There are only four questions tagged with dotnet-visual-basic.

Search Documentation

SerialPort Info

Wednesday, November 25, 2020 4:06 PM
  • Hi

Well, I have decided - I don't like the Q&A forum.

Do we have to scroll through all posts to get the 'Last Reply/Post' every time?

The navigation is abysmal!

The setup for notifications doesn't work I only ever get 'Something went wrong. Please try again.' when trying to save.

Badly need some Themes, a Dark Theme in particular - I have difficuly with font sizes / clarity for my poor eyesight. I tried a post in Q&A Feednack about this, which just rest in forlorn abject misery all on its own, being ignored to the full!

The Tags display should be in some sort of order other than random.

No doubt I will find some other complaints to add to this list.

• Edited by leshay Thursday, November 26, 2020 7:02 PM typo
    Thursday, November 26, 2020 1:40 PM
  • Agree 100%

Search Documentation

SerialPort Info

Wednesday, December 9, 2020 4:18 PM
  • Goodbye social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=vbgeneral

It's been fun!  Learned a lot.

Search Documentation

SerialPort Info

Wednesday, December 9, 2020 4:20 PM