Skip to main content

none
Change BLE connection parameters RRS feed

• Question

• I have an application where the windows desktop works as a BLE central and a smartphone (iOS and Android) as a peripheral.

At the moment everything works but the throughput is poor when using the built-in windows BLE-API. From this thread I learned that changing the connection parameters is not possible. But if I use a BlueGiga-Dongle over HCI it is possible using the ConnectDirect-command! The throughput is about 3-4 times higher than with native windows BLE.

So my question is: Are there any plans to make changing connection parameters possible or do we have to live with the bad performance when we use the native APIs?

Tuesday, April 10, 2018 11:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting here.

If you want to improve the performance, did you consider to re-write the BLE driver for windows?

Let the driver program provides a interface to change the connection parameters. Since the issue is related to performance, you can try to post the issue on SDK forum.  

Best Regards,

Hart

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 6:27 AM
  • Hi,

no, I did not consider rewriting the driver, as driver development is not my piece of cake. ;-)

I just hoped there will be a more high level access to this properties in the near future provided by the BLE API. As I found more than one other questino regarding this problems: Could you forward this to the involved team, as it seems this is a feature that more than one person needs. Especially in the growing IoT market this would be highly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Frank

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 6:34 AM
  • Could you remind again, please, which Windows version you're running on?

-- pa

Thursday, April 12, 2018 12:35 AM
  • Sorry, forgot to mention that. It is Windows 10, 1079 (16299.309).

Frank

Thursday, April 12, 2018 5:26 AM
  • @Frank,

I don't have any info about the update of Windows API. However now new UWP platform support some API to run on both desktop app and UWP app, you can see here for details:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/devices-sensors/bluetooth-low-energy-overview

This API is maintained by PG team and you can submit your feedback via the default "Windows Feedback Tool". If you cannot find the channel to report native windows BLE API issue, you can switch to the new API and see if it helps.

Best regards,

Barry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 19, 2018 8:24 AM