Skip to main content

none
No type information available in symbol file for msxml3.dll vc++ RRS feed

• Question

• I m using this 

#import "C:\\Windows\\SysWOW64\\msxml3.dll"

using namespace MSXML2;

for importing dll & also enable microsoft symbol servers settings of debugging.But after this no information available in symbol file for msxml3.dll. This value return at the time of create instance  

docPtr.CreateInstance(__uuidof(DOMDocument30));

My OS is window10 64 bit & visual studio 2015 

I can't understand what's the issue.Please suggest me what i do in this case.

• Edited by shMayur Monday, April 2, 2018 4:34 AM
    • Moved by Breeze Liu Wednesday, April 11, 2018 6:02 AM general windows desktop develop issue
    Monday, April 2, 2018 4:33 AM

All replies

• I vaguely remember having a problem like this but I forget the details.  Note that #import is for a type library; not all DLLs have type libraries in them. I think the problem that I had is that Microsoft does not always provide type libraries and I was told I needed to create one for the version I was using. The Microsoft documentation used to say things like that but then Microsoft has become less helpful with the documentation.

Do you know about the "oleview" tool? It should be in your system somewhere. You can use it to look at type libraries; that will probably help you find the type library. If you can't find one then you probably must create one and I forget how to do that.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Monday, April 2, 2018 8:55 PM
  • I m using this 

#import "C:\\Windows\\SysWOW64\\msxml3.dll"

using namespace MSXML2;

for importing dll & also enable microsoft symbol servers settings of debugging.But after this no information available in symbol file for msxml3.dll. This value return at the time of create instance  

My OS is window10 64 bit & visual studio 2015 

I can't understand what's the issue.Please suggest me what i do in this case.

If you are saying that the symbol file for msxml3.dll does not contain a symbol for the COM smart pointer type for the docPtr variable then that makes sense to me.

The smart pointers are declared and their code is contained in the .tli and .tlh header files that are generated by the #import directive.  They encapsulate COM interfaces for COM objects that are instantiated by code contained in msxml3.dll.  The smart pointer types and their related implementations are not contained in msxml3.dll

Monday, April 2, 2018 10:35 PM
  • DLLRegisterServer in IVIEWERS.DLL failed.

OLEViewer will operate correctly without this DLL, however you will not be able to use the interface viewers.

After this dll viewer error.How can i find type of library?

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 8:28 AM
  • Yes, you r right.So how can i resolve this smart pointer type issue? 

MSXML2::IXMLDOMDocumentPtr docPtr;//pointer to DOMDocument object

so how can i load the symbol for this docPtr?

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 8:37 AM
  • Yes, you r right.So how can i resolve this smart pointer type issue? 

MSXML2::IXMLDOMDocumentPtr docPtr;//pointer to DOMDocument object

so how can i load the symbol for this docPtr?

Again, the smart pointer code is in your program, not in msxml3.dll so the symbol file for that dll contains no information about it.

What is it about the smart pointer that you want to know that you think symbol information would provide?

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 9:39 AM
  • DLLRegisterServer in IVIEWERS.DLL failed.

OLEViewer will operate correctly without this DLL, however you will not be able to use the interface viewers.

After this dll viewer error.How can i find type of library?

To resolve the above error run oleview.exe with elevated privilege as an administrator.  This will allow the program to properly register its iviewers.dll.  Then close the program and restart it without elevation.

After oleview.exe restarts press the toolbar button in the red box shown in the image below and then select the msxml3.dll file.  If it contains a type library then oleview.exe will present its contents.

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 9:58 AM
  • Hi shMayur,

May I know what kind of project that you are developing? Is it a UWP app or a desktop app?

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 4, 2018 2:51 AM
  • hi Roy,

It is a desktop application.This project is related to iphone data transfer. I want to import this msxml3.dll for xml parsing.

Best Regards,

ShMayur

• Edited by shMayur Wednesday, April 4, 2018 3:32 AM
    Wednesday, April 4, 2018 3:32 AM
  • Hi RLWA32

After select the msxml3.dll file , it shown a LoadTypeLib(C:\window\system32\msxml3.dll) failed error.

DLLRegisterServer in IVIEWERS.DLL failed.

But when i excute a command >regsvr32 msxml3.dll 

then this command shown a succeeded message.

i can't understand why DLLRegisterServer is failed.

• Edited by shMayur Wednesday, April 4, 2018 4:32 AM
    Wednesday, April 4, 2018 3:45 AM
  • Hi RLWA32

After select the msxml3.dll file , it shown a LoadTypeLib(C:\window\system32\msxml3.dll) failed error.

DLLRegisterServer in IVIEWERS.DLL failed.

But when i excute a command >regsvr32 msxml3.dll 

then this command shown a succeeded message.

i can't understand why DLLRegisterServer is failed.

The error has nothing to do with msxml3.dll.  Following I will repeat my earlier answer about how to resolve the IVIEWERS.DLL registration error when running oleview.exe --

"To resolve the above error run oleview.exe with elevated privilege as an administrator.  This will allow the program to properly register its iviewers.dll.  Then close the program and restart it without elevation."

• Edited by RLWA32 Wednesday, April 4, 2018 9:48 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Hart WangModerator Friday, April 13, 2018 3:03 AM
    Wednesday, April 4, 2018 9:47 AM
  • Hi,

Since the problem is more related to the desktop app, I will help you to move the thread to General Windows Desktop Development Issues Forum. You could get more professional support there.

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 6:02 AM