Skip to main content

none
Installer cannot run from download location if downloaded through browser using latest Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Starting from year 2018, there are reported problem to execute generated installer executable files.

While an installer file is downloaded by browser using Windows 10, and being launched from download location, the installer could not proceed and exits without any error message.  It is verified that the installer process ends with exit code -1073740756 (0xFFFFFFFFc000042c) where expected installation could not proceed.

When such file is renamed or moved to another folder, UAC confirmation will be displayed after installer is launched.  After user confirms to allow execution, the installer could proceed properly.

I am wondering if there is any feasible change to installer implementation, such that the installation could proceed properly from the download location after downloaded by browser in Windows 10, without user modification to their original (default) settings.

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 4:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to the description, the issue seems to be UAC issue? Did you try to use other browser or other windows operating system to test it?

Did you use the administration to install the installer executable files?

Did you try to set the user account control.

I think that the issue is not related to development issue, you can post the issue on community website.

About windows 10 issue, you can write your feedback on feedback hub. you can type the feedback hub keyword to find it and feedback.

Best Regards,

Hart

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 9:35 AM
  • Thanks Hart,

This happens with the following settings even.

- User is using an account with administrator privilege.

- UAC settings is of default value: Notify me only when apps try to make changes to my computer

I think this is a Windows 10 issue, because we only receive problem reports from Windows 10 users.

I suspect when an application launch happens to a downloaded file, the UAC confirmation is not triggered where user token is of a lowered user privilege.

I would like to see if there is any implementation or package change to make to the installer feasible to ensure it is able to run when this situation is met.

Best regards,

Ken

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 10:36 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

>>I think this is a Windows 10 issue, because we only receive problem reports from Windows 10 users.

About windows 10 issue, you can write your feedback on feedback hub, you can type the feedback hub on windows 10 to search.

The next version maybe add one package to change it.

Best Regards,

Hart

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 13, 2018 6:02 AM