none
The system cannot find the file specified? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

So I'm trying to compile an old program in VC++, just need to step through it so I remember what I did a long time ago ... LOL

However, when I clicked on "Start debugging",  I got the following error:

////////////////////////////////////

Unable to start program 'C:\Users\ROBERT\Desktop\VC++CORE_LOGIC\XPPLC_THAC_PROJECT\Debug\XPPLC.exe'

The system cannot find the file specified?

///////////////////////////////////

I went to tools>Options>General, and I have the following as paths:

project locations:

C:\Users\ROBERT\Desktop\VC++ CORE_LOGIC

User projects templates location:

C:\Users\ROBERT\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Templates\ProjectTemplates

User items templates location:

C:\Users\ROBERT\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Templates\ItemTemplates

Everything seems to be okay... but not sure?

Any help would be very appreciated!

Thanks

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 3:34 AM

Answers

• when I clicked on "Start debugging",  I got the following error:

Unable to start program 'C:\Users\ROBERT\Desktop\VC++CORE_LOGIC\XPPLC_THAC_PROJECT\Debug\XPPLC.exe'

The system cannot find the file specified?

In order to debug a program you have to be able to run it. In order to run a program it has
    to exist. In order for a (C/C++) program to exist it has to be built (compiled and linked).
    If any build errors occur from the compiler, linker, etc. then an .exe will not be created
    and you'll get an error message telling you that the exe can't be found.

You need to check *all* of the messages in the Output Window, not just the last one. If you
    scroll back you may see build errors.

I always recommend doing an *explicit* Build or Rebuild before trying to Run. That makes any
    build errors more apparent. Note also that there are IDE options which determine what action
    to take "On Run ..." if the .exe doesn't exist or is out of date. It's usually a good idea
    to have that set to always do a build or Prompt. Otherwise just telling it to run
    ("Start Debugging") may not produce any Build errors because an automatic Build
    doesn't get invoked.

- Wayne

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 4:18 AM