Skip to main content

none
Information needed about using the metadata available in the Details view of Windows/File Explorer RRS feed

• Question

• I asked this question in social.microsoft.forums.  Here is the link.

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8b3bc3c9-3599-43b7-af6e-a5a35ce74127/information-needed-about-using-the-metadata-available-in-the-details-view-of-windowsfile-explorer?forum=whatforum#8b3bc3c9-3599-43b7-af6e-a5a35ce74127

Hopefully, someone knows the answer.  :-)

Tuesday, April 10, 2018 10:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting here.

According to the description, the issue does not seem to be development issue, if you are developing software, could you please tell me what type of your project?  and error message.

About how to set windows, you can post the issue on community website.

Best Regards,

Hart

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 7:35 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for posting here.

According to the description, the issue does not seem to be development issue, if you are developing software, could you please tell me what type of your project?  and error message.

About how to set windows, you can post the issue on community website.

Best Regards,

Hart

Hi, Hart,

It was suggested to me that I ask in this forum as well as some others.

This seems to be a question virtually no one has an answer for.  Doesn't say much for the quality of support from MS, does it...  :-(

I don't know if you are a developer or not, but how can you use this information in your software if you don't know what it means?

Saturday, April 14, 2018 7:43 PM
  • It seems to me that you are asking about Windows Property System

Included in the above documentation is the following list that appears to be what you are looking for - Windows Properties

Saturday, April 14, 2018 8:06 PM
  • It seems to me that you are asking about Windows Property System

Included in the above documentation is the following list that appears to be what you are looking for - Windows Properties

Now we are getting close, but the vast majority of the information is above my "pay grade".  LOL

Assuming all of the information I'm looking for is buried there somewhere, I need some kind of documentation that says "System.Photo.DateTaken" is shown in Windows/File Explorer as "Date Taken".  In XP, it's actually shown as "Date Photo Taken", a far better name for the data when viewed by the system user.

Why do I or anyone need such a list?  Take a look at the column headings available in Details view.  There is one simply called "Date".  "Date" of what?  Certainly not my birthday or the date of my death.  <G>

And it looks like there are hundreds of these properties, yet I'm only interested in the ones that are shown in Windows/File Explorer.  In plain English that can be understood by the average person.

FWIW, Apple is far more helpful in this area.  They, at least, give you a short definition of what each one means.

Tuesday, April 17, 2018 6:22 PM
  • Pointing you in the direction of the Microsoft documentation is the best I can do.  It's up to you to do the legwork.

The vast majority of people like me who respond to questions on these forums are voluntarily providing their time and expertise to help people resolve development questions.  We do this without receiving any compensation.  So I hope you can understand why I have no time to do research on your behalf.

• Edited by RLWA32 Tuesday, April 17, 2018 6:39 PM
    Tuesday, April 17, 2018 6:36 PM
  • Legwork...   How do you think I got here?  LOL

Remember, posting here was a "pointer" from a volunteer in another forum, it was not my original intent.  But it does make sense that a developer would know what the terms mean in plain English, although any particular developer may or may not have written his/her own documentation, but may know where such documentation exists.

Well aware most respondents are volunteers, I've offered answers elsewhere when I could be of assistance.

One fact neither of us can get around, or avoid.  If MS provided "quality" support, there would be an MS employee in the forum to answer those questions no volunteer is able to respond to.

Thanks for the documentation link, BTW.
    Friday, April 20, 2018 10:20 AM
  • You're welcome.

MS employees do sometimes make an appearance in these forums and I've also seen instances where the forum Moderators that are not MS employees do forward issues to MS engineers.  In my time on the forums these occurrences are related to vexing development issues.

I do understand the frustration with documentation.  I wish you good luck with the quest.

Friday, April 20, 2018 11:09 AM