none
Windows 8, Bluetooth LE and BluetoothFindFirstDevice/BluetoothFindNextDevice/BluetoothFindDeviceClose

Question

• In Windows 8 CP,  it seems to be not possible to find any Bluetooth Low Energy device with BluetoothFindFirstDevice/BluetoothFindNextDevice/BluetoothFindDeviceClose functions (desktop app, not Metro).

Is that by design?

WBW,

Pavel.

Friday, August 03, 2012 3:11 PM

Answers

• Hi Pavel,

This is by design, Bluetooth LE devices are not represented in the legacy Bluetooth apis.

Instead, you can use the Windows.Devices.Enumeration api (in a Metro environment) or SetupDI apis (in a desktop app) to enumerate devices of the GUID_BLUETOOTHLE_DEVICE_INTERFACE device interface class to enumerate the paired devices.

Thanks,
    Alain

Friday, August 03, 2012 9:20 PM
  • There are currently no Apis available to perform discovery and pairing from within the application.

Thanks

Monday, May 05, 2014 2:52 PM
  • Hi Jane,

Discovery and pairing is done through the inbox experience and Windows does not offer any Apis to accomplish this.  We recommend using the inbox experience for discovery and pairing.

Thanks,
    Alain Michaud [MSFT]

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 2:32 PM

All replies

• Hi Pavel,

This is by design, Bluetooth LE devices are not represented in the legacy Bluetooth apis.

Instead, you can use the Windows.Devices.Enumeration api (in a Metro environment) or SetupDI apis (in a desktop app) to enumerate devices of the GUID_BLUETOOTHLE_DEVICE_INTERFACE device interface class to enumerate the paired devices.

Thanks,
    Alain

Friday, August 03, 2012 9:20 PM
  • Well, and what about (unpaired) devices discovery? MS isn't going to publish bthsrv (ALPC?) API, right? :-) 
    Friday, August 03, 2012 9:51 PM
  • Hello,

I'm trying to develop a Bluetooth application that can discover and pair Bluetooth LE Devices.

I was wondering if GUID_BLUETOOTHLE_DEVICE_INTERFACE is capable of doing this. Are there specific IOCTL for discovering devices?

I also tried to google GUID_BLUETOOTHLE_DEVICE_INTERFACE but I was not able to find any resources pointing to this GUID.

Can you please explain more?

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 2:55 AM
  • Hi Jane,

Discovery and pairing is done through the inbox experience and Windows does not offer any Apis to accomplish this.  We recommend using the inbox experience for discovery and pairing.

Thanks,
    Alain Michaud [MSFT]

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 2:32 PM
  • I've tried the inbox experience but it was not able to pair with my BLE device.

Since there are no APIs for discovering and pairing BLE devices, are there other ways for me to pair with my BLE devices?

Wednesday, April 03, 2013 3:41 AM
  • Hi Alain,

Are there any BLE discovery and pairing APIs  available in Windows 8.1 ?

thanks,

pradeep

- P -

Monday, January 27, 2014 10:11 PM
  • +1

Is there any way to get access to the discovery and pairing process? I'd like to discover BLE beacons with my apps and be able to programmaticaly connect to the selected ones.

Thanks,

Tom

Wednesday, February 05, 2014 5:02 PM
  • There are currently no Apis available to perform discovery and pairing from within the application.

Thanks

Monday, May 05, 2014 2:52 PM
  • This is a broken Design!!

The BLE spec allows manufacturer specific data within the Advertisement packet. This is important as according to the Bluetooth SIG spec, its entirely possible to have a BLE device that only ever advertises and is not possible to connect to. This is how the Apple iBeacons send their data. 

Of course its possible to still connect to a BLE device and communicate that way - but that isn't the only use case.

It looks like the Microsoft developers were using the old work flow of pairing, connecting and communicating with devices that is done with Bluetooth Classic.

How do we open a bug report for this? This missing/broken feature makes the BLE API almost completely useless for a lot of intended BLE applications.

Thanks,
    Simon.

• Proposed as answer by k_kaz Monday, May 15, 2017 11:56 AM
    Wednesday, June 04, 2014 3:54 PM
  • Hi Guys,

yes, I agree with Simon.

Current state of support of BLE in Windows 8 is very lousy. For example, in my case, the standard Windows's metro box-in Bluetooth Application doesn't see my remote BLE key/sensor (which contains a set of some custom services). Though, remote BLE key/sensor perfectly discovered from MACOSX. Therefore BLE in Windows 8 is useless at present at all. Thus, without an existence of discovering API isn't possible to check the reason of a problem.

How to understand a problem in this case? What is the reason? :(

BR,

Denis

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 9:20 AM
  • Seems Microsoft is still sleeping...
    Wednesday, November 19, 2014 7:51 AM
  • I am also trying to develop that kind of application, but it seems there is no support at all of BLE. How slow, Microsoft are!! Really disappointed with it. They are really sleeping.
    Friday, November 28, 2014 5:22 AM
  • Yes,  really sleeping. I am also stuck here!! How slowly they are doing progress.
    Friday, November 28, 2014 5:25 AM
  • Is there any update on this? I would really like to do a BT LE Windows Forms App... What is an estimated lead time on adding this functionality? It will eventually be added right?
    Thursday, January 29, 2015 8:30 PM
  • Apparently true native BLE support is in Windows 10. So I'm guessing that's your timeline.

http://blog.bluetooth.com/windows-10-makes-bluetooth-smart-magic/

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 12:29 AM
  • More related articles on BLE finally in W10:

http://mtaulty.com/CommunityServer/blogs/mike_taultys_blog/archive/2015/10/16/windows-10-uwp-and-bluetooth-low-energy-or-bluetooth-le-or-ble-bluetooth-smart-or-beacons.aspx

Saturday, December 05, 2015 2:29 AM
  • Above links have dissapeared now. Use follows, :)

http://mtaulty.com/2015/10/26/m_15980/

http://mtaulty.com/2015/10/16/m_15972/

Monday, January 04, 2016 8:55 AM