Network location awareness (NLA) service under SVCHOST causes a high CPU load in conjunction with WDS! RRS feed

• Question

• Hello WDS development team,

Very good morning!

We have been evaluating WDS since more than 4 months and now when we are about to make a firm wide rollout, we badly hit with this issue. Any assistence would be much appreciated. Below are the details how I have nail downed the issue.

We initally found that SVCHOST.EXE munching high CPU. After splitting services under SVCHOST and analyzing logs I found that it's Network location awareness (NLA) service that causing high CPU usage. Upon enabling process logging I see NLA service continously attempting to perform few queries on C:\WINNT\system32\SearchProtocolHost.exe process. Either stopping the WDS or NLA service resolving the issue here.

Now:

- Firstly we don't understand why NLA service continously queries and what it's querying from WDS service process?

- How to fix this permanently? Otherwise our team may not accept WDS implementation.  This is very CRITICAL since we have experienced and **tired** of getting SVCHOST issue fixed due to 'Automatic updates' service which has caused a lot of productivity loss.

My debugging info:

- Events logged

Event Type : Error

Event Source : CSAgent

Event Category : Kernel Rule

Event ID : 256

Date : 12/31/2007

Time : 12:26:10 PM

User : N/A

Computer : SHOG

Description : The process 'C:\WINNT\system32\svchost_nla.exe' (as user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM) attempted to modify the memory in process 'C:\WINNT\system32\searchprotocolhost.exe'. The operation was denied.

- NLA process tracing log: http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=m0xoklb1r9d

Thanks,

Govardhan

Friday, January 4, 2008 10:52 AM

All replies

• Does any one of the WDS developer had a chance to read and provide their commnets on this thread?

Thanks,

Govardhan

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 2:59 PM
  • Hello All,

I have been
    working with Microsoft WDS support on this issue and the latest status is that the root cause of this issues seems to be with NLA service and NOT WDS.

I'll update more details as and when I have.

Thanks,
    Govardhan

Thursday, January 17, 2008 12:31 PM
  • I am also experiencing the same problem with WDS/NLA and SVChost.exe using all the CPU on our 2003 Servers that have WDS
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 8:26 PM
  • I know this is an older post, but I would like to add that this issue carries to Windows 7 (Ultimate in my case), and that after some digging from the stacks and threads coming from the particular SVChost process, linking it to the NLA service,etc; I found that using the Services.msc mmc to turn NLA (Network Location Association or something that slips my mind right now), helped, as long as I stopped the service as well. Connection resumed shortly after doing so, and the CPU was back down to normal. Also, I found that turning the DNS Client to manual and also restarting it helped the problem from appearing again, and as the DNS Client service seems to be more boast then actual necessity, I've not encountered any slowdowns from anything to do with my network. Quite the contrary, in fact.

Good Luck,

Cyrus

Tuesday, January 4, 2011 5:57 PM