none
Inquiry about the CLR debugger (DbgCLR.exe) in windows SDK 6.1

Question

• Greetings,

Is the visual CLR debugger (DbgCLR.exe) available with the windows SDK v6.1? or I must install the .net framework 2 SDK to have it?
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 11:26 AM

Answers

• To the best of my knowledge the DbgCLR.exe tool shipped with the .NET Framework and not within the Windows SDK, however my knowledge is limited to the time since the Platform SDK and Windows SDK merged to be just simply the Windows SDK. I can confirm you will not find the tool in the 6.1 version of the Windowns SDK and I have also contacted a representative on the CLR team who told me that the tool was pulled beginning with the 3.5 .NET Framework.  I located an article on MSDN that suggests it may be in the GuiDebug directory of an older .NET Framework installation. Have you looked there? The article I am referring to is http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/7zxbks7z(VS.80).aspx.

Thanks
    Lisa Rugen
    Windows SDK Tools Program Manager

Lisa
    • Marked as answer by Karin Meier Friday, May 1, 2009 4:15 AM
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 12:05 AM

All replies

• http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Search/en-US/?query=DbgCLR&ac=8

It probably uses the CLR (that makes sense, right?) which means the CLR must be installed for it to work. I don't know that; I am only guessing. If you search and if it is avaliable separately, you will find a download page for it. The absence of a download page is strong evidence that it is not avaliable separately.
    Sam Hobbs; see my SimpleSamples.Info
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 7:18 PM
  • I have versions 1.1, 2 SP1, 3.5 SP1 of the .Net framework installed, meaning that I'm using CLR version 2.
    I once had the CLR debugger installed as part of the .Net framework 2 SDK, and I think it's not available as a separate download.

I was just wondering, where has it gone in the later versions of the SDK?
    • Proposed as answer by lrugen Tuesday, April 21, 2009 7:56 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Ashraf Sabry Tuesday, April 21, 2009 9:00 PM
    • Proposed as answer by lrugen Wednesday, April 22, 2009 11:54 PM
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 8:40 PM
  • To the best of my knowledge the DbgCLR.exe tool shipped with the .NET Framework and not within the Windows SDK, however my knowledge is limited to the time since the Platform SDK and Windows SDK merged to be just simply the Windows SDK. I can confirm you will not find the tool in the 6.1 version of the Windowns SDK and I have also contacted a representative on the CLR team who told me that the tool was pulled beginning with the 3.5 .NET Framework.  I located an article on MSDN that suggests it may be in the GuiDebug directory of an older .NET Framework installation. Have you looked there? The article I am referring to is http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/7zxbks7z(VS.80).aspx.

Thanks
    Lisa Rugen
    Windows SDK Tools Program Manager

Lisa
    • Marked as answer by Karin Meier Friday, May 1, 2009 4:15 AM
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 12:05 AM
  • Thank you for your reply,

I read the article you mentioned, it was among the first results google returned for searching for dbgclr.

I just was wondering why was the debugger removed from the new versions of the SDK.

I searched my machine for the GuiDebug folder but didn't find it.

I installed the SQL server Business intelligence studio to design reports. as a result, the Visual studio shell was installed. If I create any project in VS, I get the "Attach to process" command active and works the same way the guidebug do.

I know that this should have nothing to do with my inquiry, but anyway, I have a gui debugger working now.
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 11:22 AM
  • Unfortunately I don't have the history on why it was removed, but I am glad you've got things working now.

Thanks
    Lisa

Lisa
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 6:07 PM
  • Moreover, I'd like to say that it's even better than the dbgclr.
    The VS shell has the VB and C# project systems, meaning that while debugging, I have syntax colouring and auto complete features working, which weren't available within the dbgclr.
    Friday, May 1, 2009 11:03 AM