Skip to main content

none
Always on configuration for developer edition RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

Please let me know, can i configure always on in 2014 developer edition?

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 6:17 AM

All replies

• The Developer Edition equals the Enterprise Edition with all it's features, so yes; see Features Supported by the Editions of SQL Server 2014

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 6:29 AM
  • Thank you Olaf for your reply. 

Can we configure read intent option to route all the read connections to secondary server?

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 6:33 AM
  • Yes, you only have to set ApplicationIntent=ReadOnlyin the Connection string, see

SQL Server Native Client Support for High Availability, Disaster Recovery

Configure read-only routing for an Always On availability group

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 6:57 AM
  • Hi SrinivasAclara,

As Olaf mentioned, always on can configure in SQL Server 2014 developer edition.

Please refer to Overview of AlwaysOn Availability Groups , Prerequisites, Restrictions, and Recommendations for AlwaysOn Availability Groups and Configure Read-Only Routing for an Availability Group for more details.

Hope those could help you.

Best Regards,

Amelia Gu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 2:16 AM
  • Hi Olaf,

If i want to rout read connections to secondary server with out configuring routing url, do i need to keep readable secondary option as yes or read-intent only? and please let me know once i set the option how to take confirmation that reads are happening in secondary server. Can i see the read connection in secondary server? to take a screen shot to prove. Please give suggestions.

Srinivas

Saturday, October 12, 2019 6:54 AM
  • If i want to rout read connections to secondary server with out configuring routing url,

I believe that if you don't set up a READ_ROUTING_URL, then you cannot route read-only requests to the readable secondary that connect to the AG listener. Read-only requests will need to connect to the current readable secondary directly.

do i need to keep readable secondary option as yes or read-intent only?

As I understand it, ALL permits any connection to the database, but obviously there will be an error if they attempt updates. READ_ONLY means that connections that do not have ApplicationIntent=ReadOnly in the connection string will be bounced off directly.

and please let me know once i set the option how to take confirmation that reads are happening in secondary server.

The simplest way would be submit "SELECT @@servername" from a client that has connected with ApplicatioIntent=ReadOnly. You can do this from an SSMS window.

Can i see the read connection in secondary server?

Once connected, it is just like any other connection. Interesting enough, I cannot find any column in a DMV that identifies the connection as having read-only intent.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Saturday, October 12, 2019 9:08 AM
  • Thanks!

If i keep application string as applicationIntent=ReadOnly, can my application will do both the operations(Read and Write). Read has to go secondary and writes has to go Primary. Is this correct?

Srinivas

Monday, October 14, 2019 9:37 AM
  • I did all the configuration as you mentioned above thanks for the suggestions. Post configuration we did changes in web application string as application intent=Readonly. But when we trying to connect with the application, it is throwing error that DB is in readonly mode. Can any one suggest on this.

Srinivas

Monday, October 14, 2019 10:03 AM
  • I did all the configuration as you mentioned above thanks for the suggestions. Post configuration we did changes in web application string as application intent=Readonly. But when we trying to connect with the application, it is throwing error that DB is in readonly mode. Can any one suggest on this.

If you set applicationIntent=ReadOnly in the connection string and then attempt update operations, guess what happens? Yup, you end up on the non-updatable readonly secondary. Whence the error.

You should only use applicationIntent=ReadOnly for calls that are read-only operations. Thus, you need to know whether you are to perform a read or a write-operation.

Monday, October 14, 2019 1:08 PM
  • my application will do both read and write operation, since i set the optio applicationintet=readonly when i try run update by using application it is connecting to secondary and update is failing saying that db in readonly. How to overcome this. What option i need to select if both the operations has to work and read connections has to go seconday and write operations has to go primary. Please suggest on this.

Srinivas

Monday, October 14, 2019 1:39 PM
  • For an operation that performs both read and write, you need to specify ApplicationIntent=ReadWrite in the connection string. (Or leave ApplicationIntent entirely, since ReadWrite is the default.)

As I said, to use ApplicationIntent=ReadOnly you need to know that the operation is read-only, for instance a report form. If you are always doing some logging, like writing to a table that "user X ran function 123), you will need to split up that code on two different connections.

That is, to be able to use ApplicationIntent=ReadOnly you may need to make changes in your application, and depending on your application is designed, these changes can be more or less far-reaching.

If you are expecting ApplicationIntent=ReadOnly lead to that only SELECT queries on the connection will go to the secondary, you have a misconception. ApplicationIntent determines which replica in the AG you are connecting to, and once connected, you will stay there.

Monday, October 14, 2019 1:53 PM
  • Thanks for the info!

If i left with out mentioning applicationintent option, will my reads will go to secondary or both the operations(read and writes) will perform on primary? 

Srinivas

Monday, October 14, 2019 1:56 PM
  • ApplicationIntent determines which replica you will be connected to. If you say ReadOnly, you will be connected to the secondary. If you say ReadWrite or leave it out, you will be connected to the primary replica. Once connected, everything you submit will be executed on the replica you are connected to. SQL Server are not redirecting your queries depending on the nature of the query. You are responsible yourself to where you connect.

Monday, October 14, 2019 2:44 PM