none
Installing Office 2003 on PC with Windows Vista Home Premium

Question

• Hi,

I am trying to install MIcrosoft Office 2003 on an HP Pavilion dv2500 notebook PC.  After a minute into the installation, I get the following error:

Installation Error: File not found

A required installation file CS561404.CAB could not be found

Just to make sure, I checked and verified that this file is on the installation disk.  I tried to install a second time by right-clicking on SETUP.EXE and selecting "Run as adminstrator", but I got the same error.  Any ideas on how I might get around this problem?

Thanks,

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 1:51 AM

Answers

• I'm sorry that you're having issues with Office 2003.  This is an issue that does come up now and again.  Please follow the procedure outlined and you should be able to successfully install Office onto Vista.

Remove and reinstall Office 2003
    ======================

You may refer to following knowledge base article to back up your Outlook data
    prior to removing Office if you use Outlook. You don't have to back up files for
    other Office applications such as Word, Excel as they are independent files on your
    hard drive.

Q287070 OL2002: How to Back Up, Restore, or Move Outlook Data
    <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;287070>

Note: this article also applies to Outlook 2003.

Note: If you don't use Outlook for your emails, just skip this step and move on.

1. Download and install the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility.

<http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/9/D/E9D80355-7AB4-45B8-80E8-983A48D5E1BD/m
    sicuu2.exe>

2. After you install the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility, click Start menu-> All
    Programs-> Windows Install Clean Up.

3. Highlight Microsoft Office 2003 entry in the list and then click Remove. Quit
    the Utility.

Note: If you have got any other old or redundant office entries or other Office
    stand alone products such as FrontPage, Visio, OneNote, etc in the list, please
    remove them together.

4. Close all applications.

5. Click Start menu-> Run, type "regedit" (without the quotation marks) in the Open
    box and press Enter.

6. Expand the registry tree on the left pane and locate the following two registry
    keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office

7. Right-click on this key and click Delete to delete those keys.

8. Open Windows Explorer, and then browse to the "C:\Program Files" folder

If it exists, rename the "Microsoft Office" to "Microsoft Office OLD"
    If it exists, rename "OfficeUpdate" to "OfficeUpdateOLD"
    If it exists, rename "OfficeUpdate11" to "OfficeUpdate11 OLD"

9. Click Start menu-> Run, type "%Temp%" (without the quotation marks) in the Open
    box and press Enter.

10. Empty the %Temp% folder.

Note: If some files can't be deleted, please skip them, which don’t influence the
    result of the troubleshooting.

11. Empty the Recycle Bin.

12. Restart your computer and install Office 2003.

I hope that this helps resolve your issue.

Regards,

Rick

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 7:24 PM

All replies

• I am getting the same error trying to install MIcrosoft Office 2003 on an HP Pavilion dv6745us notebook PC. I am using the original CD

Installation Error: File not found

A required installation file CS561404.CAB could not be found

Please help us

Monday, January 21, 2008 2:08 AM
  • I'm sorry that you're having issues with Office 2003.  This is an issue that does come up now and again.  Please follow the procedure outlined and you should be able to successfully install Office onto Vista.

Remove and reinstall Office 2003
    ======================

You may refer to following knowledge base article to back up your Outlook data
    prior to removing Office if you use Outlook. You don't have to back up files for
    other Office applications such as Word, Excel as they are independent files on your
    hard drive.

Q287070 OL2002: How to Back Up, Restore, or Move Outlook Data
    <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;287070>

Note: this article also applies to Outlook 2003.

Note: If you don't use Outlook for your emails, just skip this step and move on.

1. Download and install the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility.

<http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/9/D/E9D80355-7AB4-45B8-80E8-983A48D5E1BD/m
    sicuu2.exe>

2. After you install the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility, click Start menu-> All
    Programs-> Windows Install Clean Up.

3. Highlight Microsoft Office 2003 entry in the list and then click Remove. Quit
    the Utility.

Note: If you have got any other old or redundant office entries or other Office
    stand alone products such as FrontPage, Visio, OneNote, etc in the list, please
    remove them together.

4. Close all applications.

5. Click Start menu-> Run, type "regedit" (without the quotation marks) in the Open
    box and press Enter.

6. Expand the registry tree on the left pane and locate the following two registry
    keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office

7. Right-click on this key and click Delete to delete those keys.

8. Open Windows Explorer, and then browse to the "C:\Program Files" folder

If it exists, rename the "Microsoft Office" to "Microsoft Office OLD"
    If it exists, rename "OfficeUpdate" to "OfficeUpdateOLD"
    If it exists, rename "OfficeUpdate11" to "OfficeUpdate11 OLD"

9. Click Start menu-> Run, type "%Temp%" (without the quotation marks) in the Open
    box and press Enter.

10. Empty the %Temp% folder.

Note: If some files can't be deleted, please skip them, which don’t influence the
    result of the troubleshooting.

11. Empty the Recycle Bin.

12. Restart your computer and install Office 2003.

I hope that this helps resolve your issue.

Regards,

Rick

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 7:24 PM
  •  

Hi, just bought a laptop with vista home premuim.

Got an error while trying to install Office 2003

- installation file missing  (*.CAB)

My Laptop comes with an installed Microsoft Works on it. 

Can i use the same procedure on my case.

Please advice.

Thanks,

Sunday, February 10, 2008 4:22 AM
  • I've had the same problem and followed the instructions.  Downloaded and installed the msicuu2.exe.

After three tries (after each time going to regedit), I've got the following errors 

can't find

first    cs561404.cab

then   cd561401.cab

and then   cr561401.cab

Is there something else that needs to be done to complete the installation.  Office 2007 trial was originally only the Sony Vaio that I recently.  I uninstalled it before trying the first installation.  MS Works is still installed but that shouldn'y effect the Office 2003 installation.

Vista Home Premium

Office 2003 Professional with original disk, etc.

Help!!

Monday, February 11, 2008 6:05 PM
  • very nice

I followed the instructions here exactly, and now I get the following message:

"Microsoft Office Setup cannot continue because the installation source had been corrupted."

Any other bright ideas that might actually work?

Sunday, February 24, 2008 3:44 PM
  • Okay - the REAL answer

If you try to install Office 2003 with some of the Office 2007 files on the system, it will try to install an office 2007 cab from your 2003 source. So, do this...

ACTIVATE your demo version of office 2007

reboot

UNINSTALL your demo version of office 2007

reboot

INSTALL your office 2003

ta da!

I just finished this, and am now rockin' on Office 2003.

Sunday, February 24, 2008 6:45 PM
  • I'm (still) having the same issue and error messages.

I uninstalled the demo version of 2007, then restarted my computer, then when I tried installing Office 2003 again I got a similar error, this time asking for file LV561409.CAB. I point it to look for the file on the CD, but it somehow doesn't find it. So, not working for me.
    Friday, February 29, 2008 6:19 AM
  • If you have UAC (user account control) on, it is a good thing.  Even though you are running in limited administrator mode.

This is what you need to do:
    1) Turn off UAC: control panel -> user accounts -> turn UAC on and off
    2) Restart your computer
    3) Install Office 2003
    4) Turn UAC back on (suggested)
    5) Restart your computer
    Sunday, March 9, 2008 4:49 PM
  • I read this and thought there may be an easier way.  So, I did the following:

1.  Inserted the Office 2003 CD

2.  When the autoplay window popped and asked what I wanted to do, I cancelled the window.

3.  Bring up Windows Explorer and navigate to the CD - where you can see the files on the CD - to do this you need to go to Computer, right click on the CD icon and select open.

4.  When you can see the Setup icon, right click on it and select Run As Administrator.

When I did this, Office installed without a hitch.

Dominic

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 1:16 AM
  • This is the way to go. Believe me it works. Even though the package doesn't say it will work with windows Vista, using the instructions from Dominic, it will work. Thanks for the help! 

Sunday, April 27, 2008 9:28 PM
  • Hi

Can you tell me what should I do to ACTIVATE?

Thanks
    Kavya
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 2:36 PM
  • I want to install Office 2003 as I do not want to buy the full version of Office 2007. I already have office 2003 full version and I am comfortable using that. Hence I want to uninstall MS Works on my system and install office 2003
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 2:39 PM
  •  Joedoor wrote:

I've had the same problem and followed the instructions.  Downloaded and installed the msicuu2.exe.

After three tries (after each time going to regedit), I've got the following errors 

can't find

first    cs561404.cab

then   cd561401.cab

and then   cr561401.cab

Is there something else that needs to be done to complete the installation.  Office 2007 trial was originally only the Sony Vaio that I recently.  I uninstalled it before trying the first installation.  MS Works is still installed but that shouldn'y effect the Office 2003 installation.

Vista Home Premium

Office 2003 Professional with original disk, etc.

Help!!

I`ve tried all the suggestions on the forum but i still cant install due to the same file cd561401.cab

Please help

Saturday, June 28, 2008 6:38 AM
  • Worked like a charm!!! Thank you.

Friday, July 25, 2008 6:00 PM
  • Which one "Worked like a charm" ?????

Regards,

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 2:13 AM
  • Dominic:

Did you uninstall the Office 2007 Demo version before to go on with your procedure??

Regards

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 2:27 AM
  • The problem was more subtle for me.  Kept getting errors that it could not find various .cab files, yet they are clearly on the cd.

I did the following:

Explore to MyComputer (or Computer)

Click Organize at the top.

Click Folder and Search Options

Click the View tab.

Click the radio button to Show hidden files and folders

Click Apply and Ok.

Run setup.exe as administrator.

Worked great!.

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 7:46 PM
  • Hi, guys & gals,

my problem has a further complication. My new Dell has Works 9 installed, on Vista Home Premium. I have Office Standard edition Upgrade with one further licence, and I'm trying to install it to upgrade Works 9 to Office. It worked fine on Windows XP over Works 8. I've tried to use 'Use an older programme' but I'm getting Error 1608. Any ideas would be very welcome! 

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 5:56 PM
  • Hello All
    I would like to say I am having the same problem (getting Error 1608) while trying to install Office 2003 on Vista.  Seem to be looking for some XP files.  Does anybody have any idea on how to resolve this problem?
    Thanks for any help.
    JDW
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 8:10 PM