The following forum(s) have migrated to Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Azure Virtual Machines!
Visit Microsoft Q&A (Preview) to post new questions.

Learn More

Azure and OTP issue: Website keeps asking for code RRS feed

• Question

• Dear forum,

I'm using an Azure virtual machine with Windows 10. Currently, I’m having a problem with a website that requests an OTP code every time we sign in even I check a "Don't ask for an OTP code in this browser" option.

I thought this was caused by something wrong in the browser; however, I installed another one and still have the same issue. Additionally, I know for sure this is not an issue with the website service I’m using because I know other users are signing in without having to input the OTP code more than once.

Could there be a recent update in the cloud service of the virtual machine that could be causing this issue?
    Friday, November 22, 2019 2:10 PM

All replies

• You might want to check some of the security settings of the browser you are using inside the VM. All in all, using a browser in a VM or locally should not make a difference. So my assumption would be something with the security settings. 

Also, are you logging in via an AAD identity to the VM? or is this a standalone VM you created? 

Friday, November 22, 2019 9:44 PM
  • Hi,

Please check if you have enabled the cookies as this information is stored in cookies. If cookies are not allowed, this information won't be stored. 

-Malleswar

Saturday, November 23, 2019 4:29 AM
  • Hello,

Any update on the issue?

If the suggested response helped you resolve your issue, do click on "Mark as Answer" and "Up-Vote" for the answer that helped you for benefit of the community.

Thanks.
    Tuesday, November 26, 2019 10:53 AM
  • Hello!

I'm still having the issue. Checked the cookies and temporary files of the browser and everything seems all right; the "Don't request OTP on this browser" option even works for other websites (and, as mentioned, I know for sure that the option does work for other users on the website in question).

I'm working right now with Microsoft Azure support team to investigate if it is a website, browser or virtual machine issue. I'll keep this thread updated as soon as I get the response.

I appreciate the answers the other users gave!

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 1:10 PM
  • Thanks for the update! Looking forward to seeing what might be causing this. 
    Tuesday, November 26, 2019 6:16 PM
  • Hello,

Any update on the issue?

If the suggested response helped you resolve your issue, do click on "Mark as Answer" and "Up-Vote" for the answer that helped you for benefit of the community.

Thanks.
    Friday, November 29, 2019 9:49 AM
  • Hello again,

Well... I'm no longer having an issue with the OTP code request, but I'm not sure if Microsoft Azure support team actually did something or if it was just an issue with the website itself.

They installed a software in the Virtual Machine, ran some tests and got a log that was going to be analyzed by another team. Haven't received response from them since then.

So, anyway, I'm waiting for them to tell me if they actually did something so we know in case the issue comes up again. If I don't receive an answer by Monday, I'll just vote for the most likely answer so the question can get closed.

Friday, November 29, 2019 1:31 PM