Windows Hello API question RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 10 provides window hello login authentication function, when a user login system, call windows hello API can only identify A user, how to identify B users?

Roy Wang

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 7:02 AM

Answers

• Hi Roy Wang,

Thank you for posting here.

Could you tell me what type of project?  the below is about hello login on UWP.

Here is about hello login authentication, it says that A Hello is unique to the combination of an individual device and a specific user. It does not roam across devices, is not shared with a server or calling app, and cannot easily be extracted from a device.

If multiple users share a device, each user needs to set up his or her own account. Every account gets a unique Hello for that device.

If you want to identify B user. it needs to set up own account.

Best Regards,

Hart

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Roy.Wang Saturday, June 17, 2017 1:41 PM
    Wednesday, June 14, 2017 2:17 AM

All replies

• Hi Roy Wang,

Thank you for posting here.

Could you tell me what type of project?  the below is about hello login on UWP.

Here is about hello login authentication, it says that A Hello is unique to the combination of an individual device and a specific user. It does not roam across devices, is not shared with a server or calling app, and cannot easily be extracted from a device.

If multiple users share a device, each user needs to set up his or her own account. Every account gets a unique Hello for that device.

If you want to identify B user. it needs to set up own account.

Best Regards,

Hart

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Roy.Wang Saturday, June 17, 2017 1:41 PM
    Wednesday, June 14, 2017 2:17 AM
  • Hi Hart,

Thank you for your reply.  

I need a system which check in all employee through windows hello API in a pc.

I am clear what your said. I want to know that can administrator get every account unique  identify?

I need a system which check in all employee through windows hello face authentication.

How to I do?

Roy Wang

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 12:55 PM
  • Hi Roy Wang,

You mean that you want to make a system that can check in all employee through windows hello API?

As far as I know that Windows Hello is a more personal way to sign in to your Windows 10 devices with just a look or a touch. I think that the windows Hello has provided the functionality to check in all employee.

Did you want to re-achieve the functionality of windows? If yes, the location of system you do where I should put, before running the windows operating system, the system will be running.

Based on my know, before running windows operating system, the computer can just run DOS system. If windows doesn't run successfully, I think that I cannot get account information.

I think that this is a big project.

Best Regards,

Hart

Thursday, June 15, 2017 7:34 AM
  • Hi Hart,

I want to make attendance record system through windows hello APIs on a Windows 10 device.
    So I want to know that how to a user or administrator user get the windows hello face authentication information of every user.
    You have told me that these information cannot easily be extracted from a device.
    I think that can get face information from Windows Biometric Framework. As you said it was a big project.
    So I want to make simplify attendance record system through windows hello APIs.

Roy Wang

• Edited by Roy.Wang Thursday, June 15, 2017 9:16 AM
    Thursday, June 15, 2017 9:14 AM
  • Hi Roy Wang,

Thank you for your feedback.

Maybe you need to create a windows hello login app that can record account information.

GetPassportAuthenticationMessageAsync the method will compare the current user information, Maybe you can use the method.

The windows hello login service has record account information, I think you can get it.

I hope that these articles would be helpful for you.

Best Regards,

Hart

Friday, June 16, 2017 3:17 AM
  • Hi Hart,

I have read these articles. I think that the system will be C/S system. But I only have a windows 10 device. Employee  will spend lots of times on attendance if every employee use the device check in attendance record system.

Roy Wang

Friday, June 16, 2017 6:54 AM
  • Hi Roy 

yes, the system will be C/S system, When you are developing issue, please feel free to contact me or other community.

Best Regards,

Hart

Friday, June 16, 2017 8:22 AM
  • Roy,

Were you able to build an attendance system around windows hello?  I am working on a similar project and would appreciate any pointers.

Thanks,

Amjad.

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 12:09 PM
  • Hi Amjad and Roy,

I hesitate to self-promote, but the kind of application you are describing is exactly what we support at BIO-key with our WEB-key product, which allows a browser-based client capture, and secure server-based match, allowing users to move freely among devices they never visited before.  We also supply a line of low-cost Windows Hello USB fingerprint scanners (sold by Microsoft in their stores and online) that can work both in the Windows Hello in-device storage model - ideal for personal machines, and centralized storage and matching, as needed to support users that roam among machines (think attendance, Call Centers, Healthcare, Retail, Manufacturing floor, and other shared HR kiosks.  I'd be happy to discuss what you are looking to do if you are still trying to find a solution.

Regards,

Jim Sullivan
    SVP BIO-key

Thursday, April 26, 2018 2:53 PM