Skip to main content

Windows Search 4.0 (WS4) release to web RRS feed

• General discussion

• Some of you may have seen the announcement up at the Vista team blog around the 6/3 WS4 release to web - http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsexperience/archive/2008/06/03/windows-search-4-0-released-to-web.aspx - I wanted to post here on the community forum to give you some quick information about the reason for this release and why you should consider upgrading.

Firstly, this release did not introduce new UI, since it was all about performance and stability. We focused on getting some core issues resolved that folks were seeing repetitively in earlier versions of Windows search and we wanted to make the product simply work better. IT administrators will see remarkable improvements in the overall network citizenship, significantly less impact to the Exchange server if their Outlook clients are indexing online email, more group policy control that is also rationalized across earlier versions, and just a better, more stable search experience. End users and regular folks will see significantly improved search query times, way less crashes to report, PC to PC query between all supported OSes and just an overall better integrated search experience.

We worked really hard on this release, and it's a joy to see this baby delivered.

Read more at KB940157 or visit our web pages at www.microsoft.com/windows/desktopsearch

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 7:48 AM

All replies

• Hello MichellA,

I was waiting for the release of this fine product/tool, it seems though that it can't be installed on a Windows 2003 Server (R2 Standard SP2 x86), I've tried to upgrade the previous version (Windows Search 4.0 preview) but I've got the same error even on a machine that doesn't have the preview version installed, the error was "The vversion of windows you have installed does not match the update you are trying to install".

I would appreciate any recommendations.

Thank you in advance,

Friday, June 6, 2008 1:23 PM
  •  George Simos wrote:

Hello MichellA,

I was waiting for the release of this fine product/tool, it seems though that it can't be installed on a Windows 2003 Server (R2 Standard SP2 x86), I've tried to upgrade the previous version (Windows Search 4.0 preview) but I've got the same error even on a machine that doesn't have the preview version installed, the error was "The vversion of windows you have installed does not match the update you are trying to install".

I would appreciate any recommendations.

Thank you in advance,

Problem Solved!

It seems that the early downloaders (like me) were given a combined pack for xp and 2003 which was not working for server 2003 installations, i saw that there are separate downloads for server 2003 edition in the downloads area.

It works and it rocks!

Friday, June 6, 2008 1:35 PM
  • Does not install on Vista Ultimate 32 bit either.

Thursday, July 10, 2008 8:47 AM
  • The vista install for 32 bit is the same for all vista sku's - this is the page http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=BC28ED7F-C51B-49CD-B505-95B91B453284&displaylang=en&displaylang=en

Remember that WS4 for Vista requires Vista SP1.

Friday, July 25, 2008 5:31 AM
  • this is a little off subject but how do i post to Windows Desktop Search Help forum, it is not listed when i go to "ask a Question". am i missing something?
    Monday, September 28, 2009 8:22 PM
  • Can we stop WDS reliance on outlook express?  I just installed WDS for the first time and a popup keeps looking for outlook express for preview displays.  I use neither outlook nor outlook express.  The popup error says "You need to have Microsoft Outlook Express installed to work with Single File Web Pages.  Outlook Express is an optional component of Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 and later."
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 4:24 AM