none
"The system cannot execute the specified program" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm currently having a problem with using Visual C++ express.

I'm a student at Dundee University and we're starting C++ this year using Visual Studio, I grabbed C++ express off the microsoft site and apart from a few problems with the .exe file not creating (which I discovered how to fix) and the few missing features I had no problem with using both, however when I started my current assignment on my laptop, saved it to a usb pen and worked on it using Studio, when I put it back on my laptop I started getting the message "The system cannot execute the specified program" on the windows console. The code compiles fine and theres no error messages, it's just when I actually run the program that I get this message.

I tried copying all of the code to a new project but that didnt seem to work.

Since I can't get into the uni computers constantly, this is starting to worry me. Is there something that prevents code written in Visual Studio from being run on the Express editions? If not, are there any suggestions to what I could do to fix my version?

Thanks,
    Chris
    Thursday, September 27, 2007 8:25 PM

Answers

• Have you opened the solution in express, compiled it and then tried to run the output? What version of VS does your university have?

But I can tell you that there is nothing which would stop you from using a project created with VS to compile on VCEE and vice versa since I do it all of the time.

The only thing I can think of is that one of the versions you are using is Service Pack 1 while the other isn't. Have you applied SP1 to your express edition?

Thursday, September 27, 2007 8:41 PM

All replies

• Have you opened the solution in express, compiled it and then tried to run the output? What version of VS does your university have?

But I can tell you that there is nothing which would stop you from using a project created with VS to compile on VCEE and vice versa since I do it all of the time.

The only thing I can think of is that one of the versions you are using is Service Pack 1 while the other isn't. Have you applied SP1 to your express edition?

Thursday, September 27, 2007 8:41 PM
  • Yeah I've recompiled it and started without debugging (Ctrl F5). The university computers have VS 2005, and its the 2005 version I am running on my laptop.

Thanks for letting me know that its an isolated problem, and that it doesn't happen with everyone. My laptop is SP2 and I am pretty sure the university computers use SP2 as well, they keep the computers quite up to date. I'm not sure if I've applied the fix for SP1 but I have run the redistribution file that I was advised to use.
    Thursday, September 27, 2007 9:37 PM
  • Do you know what the exact filename and it's path is? Do you know where to look to see where that setting is for VC? Can you see the file and execute it outside of VS?

Friday, September 28, 2007 4:10 AM
  • We have the same problem, programs compiled with VS SP1 will not run on XP SP2 - still to find a work-a-round
    Thursday, November 15, 2007 4:50 PM