Skip to main content

none
IExplorerBrowser FVO_CUSTOMORDERING not persistent RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using the IExplorerBrowser interface. I set up a property bag (IExplorerbrowser::SetPropertyBag). Implementing the IExplorerBrowserEvents interface, handling OnViewCreated, I'm retrieving the IFolderViewOptions interface from my Explorerbrowser instance. I then set up FVO_CUSTOMORDER. So far, so good, I can order freely the elements in my view window. If I navigate, and come back to a folder freely ordered, the elements are sorted by name not freely anymore. This was not the case with the same code running under Windows 7 (Windows 8 has not been tested). I checked the folder view options I'm retrieving handling OnViewCreated. If running the same session, I see FVO_CUSTOMORDER set although the view is sorted by name. If I'm running a new session of my piece of software, I get FVO_DEFAULT.

Another issue which might be related to this one is once I have instanciated the first time my ExplorerBrowser instance and navigated to a first folder from the desktop (initial folder), the custome ordeor option is not applied although set up while handling OnViewCreated. If I navigate back to the same folder during the session, the custom order option is then appllied (but still not persistent).

Thursday, August 29, 2019 12:23 PM

All replies

• Hi, Peuquet

Please provide a Minimal, Reproducible Example, so that I can reproduce your problem and help you accurately.

Best regards,

Strive

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 2, 2019 7:15 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your answer. You can actually check and refine the issue diagnostics by running a "Disable full row selection" script or modify yourself the Windows registry to achieve the same. This will allow you to order your icons freely under Windows explorer. You will see that you are able to do it but also that Windows 10 does not remember the icons order for a folder.

Here's a link about disabling this option: https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/disable-full-row-select-auto-arrange-folders-windows-10/

As far as i can tell, some options are not recorded in property bags, custom or not. I'm quite sure this is restricted to the IFolderViewOption interface Under Windows 10. Unfortunately, Microsoft has not documented any change or deprecation. So, I qualify it a bug.

I'll try to find sometime tonight to build a minimal example.

All the best,

Eric

Monday, September 2, 2019 12:19 PM
  • Hello,

I've prepared your sample. how can I upload it for you?

Best regards,

Peuquet

• Edited by Peuquet Monday, September 2, 2019 4:50 PM
    Monday, September 2, 2019 4:50 PM
  • Hi, Peuquet

Thank you for your quick response.

You can upload the sample to GitHub and send me the corresponding link.

If you don't know how to upload to github, please refer this.

Best regards,

Strive

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 3, 2019 1:40 AM
  • Hello,

Here's your link:

You'll find the project on Github, Peuquet, Cx.

Sorry to not be able to provide you a direct link but MSDN refuses it until my account has been verified(?).

It is public (I would prefer it private so if I can declare you as a Github collaborator, that would be nice).

The important lines in Explorer.cpp (there's a single source file) are:

(140) hr = m_spExplorerBrowser->SetPropertyBag(L"MyPropertyBag"); // Sets the property bag up

(336) hr = pfolderViewOptions->SetFolderViewOptions(FVO_CUSTOMORDERING, FVO_CUSTOMORDERING); // sets the folder view options;

When running the piece of software, you will notice at first that although FVO_CUSTOMORDER is set up, it is not taken into account. If you navigate once out of the first folder browsed and then back, you will see this setting applied.

Then, when you'll be able to order freely the shell items, you will find when moving away from a freely ordered folder and back to it that your freely defined order is not kept.

All the best and thanks for your help,

Peuquet

• Edited by Peuquet Tuesday, September 3, 2019 9:10 AM
    Tuesday, September 3, 2019 9:08 AM
  • Hi, Peuquet

Since you are developing MFC application , I'll move to the MFC forum for more professional support.

Best regards,

Strive

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 2:01 AM
  • Hello,

Thank you for posting here.

According to your description, we reproduce your error. Considering your situation on Win7, we think this is an issue. Please submit your question on Developer Community. Here is the link:https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/spaces/8/index.html

Best Regards,

Suarez Zhou

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 2:45 AM
  • Hi,

To be exact, this is rather an ATL/WTL development. 

FYI, I got an answer from Suarez Zhou asking to subit my question on Developer Community. Isn't it where i posted it at first? I'm a little lost...

All the best,

Peuquet

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 10:15 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for taking care of it.

FYI, I posted it first on the Dev Community.

I'll do it again.

Best regards,

Peuquet

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 10:16 AM
  • Hi,

I've found my original post in the Dev Community forum, titled iexplorer-propertybag-issue.

Should I recreate a post and, if it is the case, under which category?

Best regards,

Peuquet

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 10:32 AM
  • There is a possibility that the VC++ team will close the issue if they don't consider it a VC++ problem but instead view it as a Windows 10 issue.  You should consider using the Windows 10 feedback mechanism also.
    Wednesday, September 4, 2019 10:38 AM
  • Hi,

This was posted to the dev Community at first. Here's the answer I had:

Cheney Wang [MSFT] sur 28/08/2019

Thank you for your feedback. We have determined that this issue belongs to the Windows platform. Please provide feedback using Windows 10 feedback hub store app.

So, I installed the Windows feedback app and reported my problem. Once there, my post was moved by Nedeltcho Popov here as he considered my post was in a wrong forum. I've seen also that it has been moved 13 hours ago by drake-Wu from Micorsoft I don't know where... And now you ask me to move it back to Windows 10 feedback...

I'm sorry but i'm a little lost...

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 4:10 PM
  • Hi,

I'm sorry I didn't reply to your message in time.

>>I've found my original post in the Dev Community forum, titled iexplorer-propertybag-issue.

I didn't find the link to the issue according to your title. Would it be convenient for you to send me the link of the issue?

Best Regards,

Suarez Zhou

Thursday, September 5, 2019 2:11 AM
  • Hi,

I get an error message saying that "body text cannot contain images or links until mwe are able to verify your account" when pasting the link. I don't know why it is not possible to verify my account.

So, you'll find it on the visual studio developpers community site.

it is located under content, problem,712362.

The title is iexploreerbrowser-property-bag-issue.

Thanks

• Edited by Peuquet Thursday, September 5, 2019 12:28 PM
    Thursday, September 5, 2019 12:27 PM
  • https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem_712362/iexploreerbrowser-property-bag-issue.html

Replacing slashes by back slahes allowed to send the link...

• Edited by Peuquet Thursday, September 5, 2019 12:33 PM
    Thursday, September 5, 2019 12:33 PM
  • This should be reported to the team managing and creating the Windows Shell.
    Monday, September 9, 2019 1:31 PM
  • Hi,

>>I get an error message saying that "body text cannot contain images or links until mwe are able to verify your account" when pasting the link. I don't know why it is not possible to verify my account.

Check the link below to verify your account, and you will be able to post link and image.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dc4002e4-e3de-4b1e-9a97-3702387886cc/verify-account-42?forum=reportabug

Best Regards,

Suarez Zhou

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 6:46 AM
  • Hi,

I'm sorry I'm still trying to test this issue under win7 win8 and win10. I still can't give a definite answer because that I can't tell if this was intentionally set up by Microsoft. Win10 has made many changes for users compared with win7 and win8, and this issue seems to be part of it.

Best Regards,

Suarez Zhou

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 7:52 AM
  • Hi,

There is no deprecation or so warning associated with this feature in MSDN. I really think it is a bug. Usually, we're warned about features which might change or could not be supported in the future. It is really unusual.

Best regards,

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 8:35 AM
  • Hi,

I realized sorting files randomly on Win10 by change regedit, as shown in the figure below, but I also noticed that Win10 did not save the result of this drag. In another way, did Win10 have an automatic sorting action before access the folder?(I turn off numerical sorting of file explorer in gpedit.msc, but it has no effect)

The gif above is quite different from Win7 and XP, Win7 and XP save the results and have no change when we access it again.

So I think it's some new features of Win10 that led to this issue. 

Best Regards,

Suarez Zhou

Thursday, September 12, 2019 9:07 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the follow up. Some people said this issue appeared with the creator's update.

This is annoying for me. The only work around I see is to create my own folder view. But i'm not sure yet this will work around it.

Best regards

Monday, September 16, 2019 9:35 AM
  • Hi Suarez,

I've made a test installing a pre Creator's Update of Windows 10 on a virtual machine (Windows 10 pro, version 1607, 14393.0).

The custom order is kept when navigating away from a folder. The issue is a Windows 10 Creator's update one. It is not a Windows 10 feature.

Can it be reported to the Microsoft Windows Shell group, please?

Best regards,

Eric Soulard

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 5:26 PM
  • I've made a test installing a pre Creator's Update of Windows 10 on a virtual machine (Windows 10 pro, version 1607, 14393.0).

The custom order is kept when navigating away from a folder. The issue is a Windows 10 Creator's update one. It is not a Windows 10 feature.

Can it be reported to the Microsoft Windows Shell group, please?

Best regards,

Eric Soulard

Monday, September 30, 2019 1:09 PM