none
Default RunAsHighest fixes can't be disabled

Question

• Yes, I disabled the entry in Compatibility Administrator.

And yes, the GUID with 0x77 value is there in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags

I'm trying to get around a "RunAsHighest" fix, but program still ask for admin permissions.

And then I noticed that Windows *isn't even* trying to look at them. It's just looking at AppCompatFlags\Layers, then nothing else and exe is launched.

If I set any trick writing in these later keys (such as those in the Compatibility tab in exe proprieties) finally Windows resolves in querying the GUID value. But still it doesn't seem to comprehend it, and application still trigger consent.exe

This is at least happening in Windows 10, where I noticed Mass Effect was being applied a pretty half-thought and even harmful fix, but might be also affecting older Windows.

EDIT: See post #8

• Edited by mirh- Sunday, November 26, 2017 9:14 AM
    Thursday, August 4, 2016 10:36 AM

All replies

• Hi mirh,

Since your question was not development issue, and here's Windows Desktop Development forum. It doesn't support this questions.

You would need to ask your question on answer site: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows 

Best Regards,

Xavier Eoro

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Saturday, August 6, 2016 6:17 AM
  • Ehrm.. Your answer site specifically redirected me here.

Saturday, August 6, 2016 8:27 AM
  • Still present in latest anniversary update 14393.321
    Saturday, October 22, 2016 5:42 PM
  • And in 15063.296
    Friday, May 12, 2017 8:04 PM
  • So, just to put the things clear, there are two issues that in a perfect world would have to be addressed.

1. this specific app shim should get nuked to begin with. It's more than a dirty workaround than a real fix.

I know this might be more subjective than normal (and I guess this might be in direct contrast with whatever the MS guy that put this in place thought) - though I'm not sure anybody would be interested to hear a lengthy precise rationale of the app issues themselves.

2. And what unarguably is a problem - the "disable entry" button (which in turn sets the famous 0x77 value) doesn't do anything.

It is related to the aforementioned problem, but by no means exclusive to it. And what very realistically I was directly complaining (and expecting to get analyzed) in the OP.

• Edited by mirh- Saturday, July 8, 2017 6:03 PM
    Saturday, July 8, 2017 5:59 PM
  • Not even turning off Application Compatibility Engine and Program Compatibility Assistant via Group Policy editor seems to work.
    Monday, July 24, 2017 4:11 PM
  • Still a thing in 15063.540 AND also now with even a standalone program, complete with sources.

So, you'll stop with this childish passing the buck just because a 3rd party is *indirectly* involved, and nothing else matters then.

Run it on Win7 (which has no profile for the thing).. It works. Run it on Win10 and it will crash, whatever you'll do. 

Unless of course you rename the executable, but that's no fix on your side.

Saturday, August 26, 2017 3:33 PM
  • This also happens, if in my aforementioned testcase you fake "Internet Everywhere" application.

Surprisingly, even on Windows 7.

So I guess there's really few points in checking every W10 release continuously, if it's such a rotten behavior.

Still waiting some engineer to acknowledge this is an actual problem.

Sunday, November 26, 2017 9:19 AM
  • Just some information about this specific executable: Mass Effect is in this database because on first run it needs to create an AGEIA technologies registry key in HKEY Local Machine. It only needs to do this on first run. I assume it is in the database because otherwise it would crash on boot. 

While modifying other software is discouraged you can edit the ProductName value in the exe itself to be different and it will drop it out of the admin mode. I don't know anything about the compatibility editor however. This is just for google's sake.

Monday, January 29, 2018 9:43 PM
  • That entry breaks other games (and isn't the actual right fix for the game). And just like the microsoft engineer that first included that fix in 8.1,  you shouldn't throwaway fixes you didn't perfectly understood.

But this is outside the point of the issue.

RunAsHighest compatibility fix (not to be confused with the homonym compatibility made) can NEVER be disabled. This happens since Vista, and contrarily to all documentation.

Monday, January 29, 2018 10:36 PM