none
Azure Managed Failover - When a failover is completed to secondary (new primary). Which azure region will be used as secondary? RRS feed

• Question

• As per Microsoft Azure Storage Blob

After the failover occurs, the location that is accepting traffic is considered the new primary location for the storage account. Once the new primary is up and accepting traffic, we will bootstrap to a new secondary to get the data geo redundant again.

For example - My azure storage account is configured in West US 2 as primary and used GRS replication means my paired region is West Central US. When failover is completed to secondary, secondary will become primary. Which new region will be used as secondary?

Thanks,

Friday, November 15, 2019 6:06 AM

All replies

• @DEEPAK GARG Yes, actual primary will be used as secondary.

For more information: You may refer to this article.

Kindly let us know if the above helps or you need further assistance on this issue.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" and Upvote on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Friday, November 15, 2019 8:54 AM
  •  @DEEPAK GARG Just checking in to see if the above answer helped. If this answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same, which might be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. And, if you have any further query do let us know.
    Monday, November 18, 2019 5:29 AM
  • @Sumanth 

As per the documentation, it is mentioned that azure team will bootstrap a new secondary so I am not sure how the original primary will be used as secondary as it will be completely down due to disaster.

Also, I want to get a clarity on how long MS Azure would try to recover the primary region and then decide to failover to secondary? 

Thanks,

Deepak

Deepak Garg

Thursday, November 21, 2019 6:34 AM
  • @SumanthMarigowda-MSFT

I had posted reply to the answer which you replied. Can you please take a look and help me understand the same. 

Thanks,
    Deepak

Deepak Garg

Thursday, November 21, 2019 8:51 AM
  • @DEEPAK GARG Apologies for delay in responding here.  For  GRS functionality of storage and is explained here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/best-practices-availability-paired-regions#what-are-paired-regions

Once it is failed over to secondary region, Azure will fail back to primary only after bringing it up.

Kindly let us know if the above helps or you need further assistance on this issue.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" and Upvote on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Monday, November 25, 2019 2:29 PM
  • Just checking in to see if the above answer helped. If this answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same, which might be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. 
    Thursday, November 28, 2019 3:00 PM
  • Is there any update on the issue?

If the suggested answer helped for your issue, do click on "Mark as Answer" and “Vote as Helpful” on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Wednesday, December 4, 2019 5:16 AM