none
Rendering Delay when using h264 Decoder RRS feed

• Question

• hi there,

i´m dealing with a custom media source that provides live video streams from network cameras. the  IMFSample Timestamps are set to 0 so all frames are rendered immediately after their arrival. This works fine for Mjpg oder Mpeg4 streams.

However, when using h264, i have a delay of one second (rather more than less). The Frames are delivered using rtp, IMFSamples created with sample time 0 and delivered by the MediaStream immediately. But the frames are rendered delayed.

Are there any buffers within the h264 decoder MFT? If yes, is it possible to disable them? I know that the h264 decoder MFT is designed for a single, ultra-high-res movie, so this behavior makes sense, but being able to disable it would be quite handy for other scenarios.

So, is it possible to prevent this behavior for h264 or do i have to take is as it is ? (and therefore have to do the decoding somewhere else, in software, or maybe change my graphics card to some sort of nvidia or ati (as i heard they supply their own decoding MFTs)

i´m dealing with live surveillance scenarios where this delay is not acceptable.

thanks in advance, best regards

j.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 4:22 PM

All replies

• The H264 decoder tries to fill its processing pipelines before generating any output.  This is terrible behavior for live sources because it cannot just quickly read ahead a bunch of frames for processing pipelines.  There is no way to disable this behavior; it is a known design flaw, however, and hopefully one that will be fixed in the future.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 12:14 AM
  • Thanks for letting me know this behavior isn't just overe here at my place.

i solved the problem by optionally decoding the frames in case of h264 directly within my mediasource (using ffdshow) and delivering raw samples to the pipeline (with all the disadvantes).

however, i´m looking forward to any improvements in the future ;)

thanks

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 7:19 AM
  • Hi, has this been resolved?

Thanks!

Friday, August 9, 2019 8:28 AM