none
Buttons on Pen Digitizers RRS feed

• Question

• I am developing a USB pen digitizer device similar to a Wacom tablet.  The pen functionality is working on Windows Vista and Windows 7 based on the HID usages outlined in "Digitizer Drivers for Windows Touch and Pen-Based Computers".

The device also has a few buttons.  Is it possible to use the built-in Windows support for tablet buttons with these, or is this support reserved for Tablet PC's with built-in buttons?  I was hoping to use the HID Generic Desktop/TabletPC Buttons usage to report the buttons' status, and the built-in Control Panel support to configure their functionality.

I have tried using the report descriptors in the Windows Driver Kit: Human Input Devices -> Tablet PC Button Driver Sample.  However, when my device is connected and I launch Control Panel -> Tablet PC Settings -> Set tablet buttons to perform certain tasks, a message box pops up saying "Tablet buttons are not installed on this computer."  A search of the forums suggests that I may need some registry settings to enable this, but I haven't been able to locate any documentation.  Any ideas where to look?

Am I on the right track, or do I need to take another approach, such as a custom application (for configuration) and a custom driver (to receive the HID button reports and trigger the configured actions)?

Thursday, July 14, 2011 8:32 PM

All replies

• I'll preface this by saying that I'm not an expert at HID-class drivers, but you might want to look at page 11 from the Digitizer Drivers for Windows Touch and Pen-based Computers whitepaper if you are asking about switches on the Pen that need to be supported, there is the Tip Switch for when the pen touches the screen and the Barrel button, which appears on the side of the pen.  Did you start from the Wacomopen driver sample that ships in the WDK?

At any rate, if you are talking instead about physical hardware buttons on the tablet PC, these are not implemented within the pen HID driver as far as I can tell.  You might also want to ask in the Windows Driver and Hardware forums as there are experts on these topics there.

-Gus

Friday, August 5, 2011 5:47 PM