The following forum(s) have migrated to Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Azure Virtual Machines!
Visit Microsoft Q&A (Preview) to post new questions.

Learn More

How to get alert notifications on reboot or shutdown RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have some VM (classic) in Azure.  Is there a way to get alert notifications when the server is rebooted or shutdown?  

Thanks

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 9:35 PM

Answers

All replies

• Yes, you can use activity log alerts to generate an alert on a shutdown or reboot action initiated on the VM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/monitoring-and-diagnostics/monitoring-activity-log-alerts

Sam Cogan Microsoft Azure MVP
    Blog | Twitter

• Marked as answer by Ultragc88 Wednesday, March 14, 2018 10:09 PM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2018 9:37 PM
  • Hi Sam,

Thanks or the quick response.  I looked at that but can't see the reboot or shutdown operation to get alert on.  Any idea?

UPDATE:  Nevermind.  I found it.

• Edited by Ultragc88 Wednesday, March 14, 2018 10:09 PM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2018 10:07 PM
  • Did you have any luck with this? I've tried setting up alerts and it appears you must have a value in the metric ie <g class="gr_ gr_99 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del" data-gr-id="99" id="99">and</g> integer value.

Problem is a shutdown <g class="gr_ gr_122 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="122" id="122">vm</g> does not report as a 0 but as --

Friday, January 11, 2019 12:48 PM
  • I don't think the above answer is correct, It should be Azure Monitor, Azure Monitor supports several metric alert types including system level events, such as a reboot operation, and allows you to configure and send alerts including emails and SMS messages based on the events

While zure Log Analytics is used to query the data stored by events but does not allow SMS message sending. Azure Activity Log will allow you to see the VM event of a reboot but will not send the SMS message as required.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. profile for Sajeetharan at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers www.sajeetharan.com

Sunday, December 1, 2019 12:50 PM