none
Can't install Windows Driver Kit 8 Release Preview RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have problems installing WDK 8 available at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/hh852362.aspx.

I installed VS 2012 RC Professional, but as I need it for developing Windows KMDF drivers, I also need WDK.  I downloaded wdksetup.exe from the website (it downloaded to Downloads\Windows Kits\8.0\WDK together with Installers directory and UserExperienceManifest.xml file), but every time I run wdksetup.exe, there is an error popup: There are no applicable features available for installation.

I restarted the computer several times, but this does not help.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 2:16 PM

Answers

• Completely uninstall all prior installations of any release of win8 anything. Potentially rebuild your development system in order to clean up prior installs. Then start again. For me a system restore point was effective in getting to a more or less functional install of the current release candidate, but I expect I am going to face a clean install at release time, probably along with upgrading my dev system to win8.

Mark Roddy Windows Driver and OS consultant www.hollistech.com

Friday, June 15, 2012 3:26 PM

All replies

• I noticed that the Installers directory contains only two files: dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe and Kits Configuration Installer-x86_en-us.msi.

Isn't this too little?

Rumma

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 2:38 PM
  • did you mean, you downloaded wdksetup.exe from that link, launched it and then tried to download the kit?

yes there are a lot of missing pieces here, not sure what went wrong for  you. It is working for me

Alternatively you can install directly, after running wdksetup.exe, instead of downloading, that should solve your purpose.

Thanks PVR

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 5:42 PM
  • Hi Vinith,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, this did not help.

When I run wdksetup.exe, there is a window appearing: "The features installed on this computer are up-to-date. To download the Windows Driver Kit, click Continue".  I click Continue, and only these two files mentioned above are downloaded, and then setup fails.

I had WDK 8 installed before, but I uninstalled it before installing VS 2012 to have a clean installation afterwards.  Maybe it lingers somewhere in the system, though there's no sign of it in Control Panel and I also removed C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0 (everything could be removed except for Testing directory).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Thursday, June 14, 2012 7:55 AM
  • i think this is because the uninstall of the previous WDK is not complete. Are you able to install the previous WDK? if yes, you can install it  then uninstall and try the new wdk again.

Thursday, June 14, 2012 11:38 AM
  • something must have gone wrong with your previous WDK uninstall, VS install and WDK re-install. I would recommend installing WDK on a clean machine after installing VS 2012.

Thanks PVR

Thursday, June 14, 2012 7:27 PM
  • Completely uninstall all prior installations of any release of win8 anything. Potentially rebuild your development system in order to clean up prior installs. Then start again. For me a system restore point was effective in getting to a more or less functional install of the current release candidate, but I expect I am going to face a clean install at release time, probably along with upgrading my dev system to win8.

Mark Roddy Windows Driver and OS consultant www.hollistech.com

Friday, June 15, 2012 3:26 PM
  • Thanks for all answers!

I uninstalled VS 2012 and WDK, and then installed VS again.  It worked ok, so I tried to install my previous version of WDK, but there was an error: not enough disk space (I would think 28 GB is enough!).  I then installed the latest WDK with installation files downloaded by my colleague, and now everything works fine.

There was a horrible mess somewhere, but I don't know where.  Anyway, it's good to make a clean installation.

Rumma

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 1:30 PM
  • Hi, i got the same problem. I where stuck somewhere between broken install/uinstall. So i have tried everything to get this work. Last but not least i deleted every single Registry Entry with "Windows Driver Kit" in it and it worked.

So the last one did the magic for me:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{da762e25-7812-4a12-871c-93574078d85a}

in cooperation with deleting:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows Kits\Installed Products

(Windows Driver Kit x86)

So for everyone else try this. 

Good Luck

• Edited by 3Cyb3r Tuesday, April 29, 2014 12:40 AM
    Tuesday, April 29, 2014 12:39 AM
  • Amazingly, 5 years later this is a problem with the Windows 10 WDK and Software Development Kit.

I wonder how many man hours have been lost to solving issues like this....

Monday, March 21, 2016 5:34 PM