Old explorer-like search back as default? (Keeping Search 4) RRS feed

• Question

• I'd really like to keep the old search screen for my normal searches (Much more compact display, and better features for most of my day-to-day uses), but then use Windows Search for special searches...

I can use the "Click here to use Search Companion" from the new search window to bring up the old search window, but that is tedious, annoying and leaves windows hanging around.

But I'd really like to have the old search for explorer-initiated searches.  (I can use the Desktop Search in the Taskbar if I need a full-blown, indexed search)

Possible?
    Monday, December 1, 2008 12:33 AM

Answers

• Never mind! Answer found.

A bit more poking around in this group turned up the answer:

To default to Search Companion when you click "Search", start regedit, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows Desktop Search\DS, and change the value of "ShowStartSearchBand" to 0.

Found in Thread:
    http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?postID=1849066&SiteID=1&pageid=0#1849066

I agree with some other forum posters, that this really should be an easy to configure option in WS... You really don't expect/want such a thing to change your BASIC OPERATING SYSTEM INTERFACE, unless you choose to do so... Or at least have an easy opt-out...

Making me have to resort to searching and posting to forums makes my blood boil...

Monday, December 1, 2008 2:47 AM