none
Windows 10 and NDIS 5.1 IM driver installation problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Could anyone please tell me whether it's an expected behavior (described in subj.) ?

And if so - is there any msdn link or anything describing that this is an expected situation ?

Thank you in advance,

Sincerely,

Andrey.

Friday, July 3, 2015 12:07 PM

All replies

• More info:

Installed w10 build 10162.

The NDIS 5.1 mp driver installs now, but it's not listed in the network adapter's properties.

Friday, July 3, 2015 5:13 PM
  • As Pavel pointed out, it is not surprising that an NDIS 5 driver doesn't work on Win10. Running an NDIS 5 driver on an NDIS 6 system involves a lot of overhead, and even more so for intermediate drivers. It might be supported, but there have been a lot of nasty bugs in Win10 around the protocol driver edge, so it just might be the build. Just bite the bullet and upgrade to NDIS 6.

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Friday, July 3, 2015 6:45 PM
  • Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

It is actually surprising that NDIS 5.1 driver doesn't work, as it's being installed ok on build 10162, but doesn't function as intended.

I'm not really sure what you mean by an NDIS 6 system ;) The OS either supports a feature or does not, if it half-supports - then it is a bug.

I hope there will be some note about discontinuing NDIS 5.1 support or (better) a fix for the issue.

Sincerely,

Andrey.

Friday, July 3, 2015 7:25 PM
  • And another portion of information:

I've just run the code step-by-step with windbg attached to

w10 vm (build 10162).

Both the NdisIMRegisterLayeredMiniport and NdisRegisterProtocol succeeded.

However, the callback routine passed as NDIS_PROTOCOL_CHARACTERISTICS::BindAdapterHandler isn't getting ever called.

Friday, July 3, 2015 9:03 PM
  • Turn on network tracing and see what NDIS thinks is going on. Look here for info on how to enable NDIS tracing

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Friday, July 3, 2015 9:07 PM
  • An "NDIS 6 system" is one that supports NDIS 6. These are systems starting with Vista and going forward. The entire TCP/IP network stack was essentially re-written with an undocumented upper-level interface known as the Transport Layer Network Programming Interface (TLNPI) and TDI was deprecated.

Don't get your hopes up regarding NDIS 5 on Win10. Miniports may work, but I doubt intermediates will.

-Brian

Friday, July 3, 2015 10:26 PM
  • Well... if it'd be unsupported - it'd be really good if the APIs'd fail instead of returning STATUS_SUCCESS.

At least it'd make some sense.

Saturday, July 4, 2015 10:40 AM
  • It'd be really great if the OS'd return an appropriate status code for unsupported things instead of STATUS_SUCCESS.

Something like STATUS_NOT_SUPPORTED would work just fine imho.

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 2:20 AM