none
[Updated: Sep 20] Pausing publishing to address a certificate issue

General discussion

• Update 9/12/2012

Hello All,

We just wanted to update all of you to let you know that we expect to be back within
    SLAs starting this week for new app submissions.  We’ve been working through the outstanding submissions and the vast majority of you should have seen your apps complete certification. If you have not and 
    your
    apps has been in Certification for longer than 7 business days at this point, please submit a ticket with your app name and product ID and we will investigate and let you know when you can expect to see if completed.<o:p></o:p>

Thank you for your patience.

Update 8/17/2012

As you may have seen, we’ve resumed publishing, however we have received a high volume of app submissions since the launch of Dev Center, so many of you may experience Certification delays over the next few days.   Please know we are working through these submissions as quickly as we can.

UPDATE (16 AUG) We fixed the digital certificate problem and last evening resumed publishing new apps. It will take a day or two for the repair to fully deploy and newly-published apps to begin appearing in Marketplace again. If your app was in the process of being published, you don’t need to take any action. We have applied the fix and the app will continue through the certification and publishing workflow as normal.

Since August 3 we’ve been deploying the Windows Phone Dev Center, which includes a completely rebuilt backend infrastructure. In an earlier post, Todd mentioned the possibility that we might encounter some hiccups during this complex rollout and changeover. Today we did.

We’ve encountered an issue with our new digital certificates that impacts Apps published in the last few days as a result we have temporarily stop publishing new apps. Please note: all published Apps remain available in the marketplace.

Please know we are working to resolve these issues as quickly as we can and will keep you posted as to when publishing has been resumed.

See http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_phone/b/wpdev/archive/2012/08/14/app-publishing-temporarily-on-hold.aspx for additional details.

UPDATE [Aug. 15]: As a result of the work that we are doing to address the digital
    certificate issue referenced in this post above
    , some apps may appear to have
    reverted to the signing state from pending certification.  Progress will not be
    lost as a result of the certificate change.  For example, if your app was
    “pending certification” that progress won’t be lost and we are continuing to
    move apps through the certification process even while our publishing is
    paused.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 12:29 AM

All replies

• You indicate that "as a result we have temporarily stop publishing new apps".  Did this affect the testing/certification of new apps that have been stuck in the queue?  

Can you clarify who this is affecting or what "last couple of days means?" 

I had an app submitted during the changeover (specifically on 8/4 although screen says 8/1 which is when I started to create submission).  It went thru signing and then to "processing certification" after new site was rolled out.  This morning, (10+ days later) it is back in signing stage.

I had previously submitted versions of this app for beta with no apparent issue with my beta testers in installing.  In this submission, I specified full testing with manual release to marketplace if approved.

I have never received a pass or fail notice nor have I attempted to publish.  My development device is fairly old and was upgraded to Mango. 

Ed

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 8:11 AM
  • It happened exactly the same to me. My application displays 8/1 although I submitted it at 8/5 and was in Certification stage and today started displaying that is in signing stage again. Really frustrated.

The only difference is that I think my application has already been checked for certification because I have received statistics for that from my analytics provider.

Efthymios Kalyviotis.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 8:27 AM
  • Also my app back from "processing certification" to "in signing stage".

I wait for other 10 days?!?

Fabrizio

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 8:29 AM
  • Hi...I submitted /143 apps in total starting 8/11 to 8/14 all apps were awaiting certification but now they have started showing as IN SIGNING STAGE ... I mean how The problem my be rectified as I need to submit these apps before weekend
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 10:01 AM
  • Please give us a realistic estimate on when apps awaiting in the queue will be published.

We submitted our app on 30th of July, on August 10th (after 11 days!) we got an email with "certification failed" so we fixed the issue and re-submitted the app the same day. Today it went back from "Processing certification" to "In signing state". How much longer should we wait before it gets certified and published? We have other product updates that we can't roll out because of this app (marketing reasons).

Best regards,

Pavel

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 10:14 AM
  • Hi Tamara

This issue affect BETA too?

Tks

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 11:55 AM
  • This is a jackpot for me, my apps are at the top of the new release lists. Keep it stuck for a while is ok with me.
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 12:37 PM
  • :(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

Alican

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 2:03 PM
  • i got a "signing failed" status. i try to find why but all i can find is this link "http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windowsphone/help/jj206729(v=vs.105).aspx". and it's not helpful to know what to fix

thank you

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 2:13 PM
  • You know the saying: "When it rains...it seems that lightning strikes...melts your feet into the concrete..."

Ahhh...*sigh*... well it would seem this *very* issue has happened to me...and it couldn't have come at a worse time as the company I worked for closed their doors less than a month ago and I am trying to use my existing and working knowledge to make a living as it seems all jobs which have to do with mobile development and windows are nowhere close to where I live...and of course...I bought a house not more than 3 years ago...so not able to move either.

But I guess those are all my problems...and only relevant to this post because it would seem the *only* hope I had to possibly make any form of ancillary income to hopefully stop the money bleeding was to push out as many apps as I could…and seeing that Microsoft seems to be around 60-90 days delinquent on paying for advertisements…oh…*and* seemingly my apps are now having about a 16 out of every 88 attempted advertisement refresh rate success…of which the psupport folks are trying to track down… but…oh wait…riiiight… it would seem that there was *no* major announcement on the application submission system upgrade…other than in a blog…of a Microsoft peep…and I just *happened* to submit on 08-03-2012, which was literally *the day* they decided to *upgrade* their system…cool…upgrade…well at least something cool is coming from this…

*Zapp*

Nope…”No soup for you!”… it would seem *now* there is a problem with…oh wow…applications that were submitted close to the upgrade…certificates…and oh…golly… phones that upgraded from earlier versions of Windows Phone OS 7.0 to Windows phone OS 7.5…

Which happens to be…(drum roll) *exactly* what I am using…

So…to sum up:

Lost job…thought “hey will build apps and possibly reduce my burn rate and maybe even make a living” (since I have been developing for over 23 years)

Discovered advertisements were not working properly…which was part of my “hoped” for small revenue stream for the first two apps…talked with psupport who were *very* helpful…

During the *advertisements* being dropped debugging with psupport…my app was close enough to submit…which would help them.

Submitted…and *nowhere* did I see *any form* of notification of *the above issue*….

And now…my app seems to fall into a gravity well of “?????” for both the market place…and advertisements…

Uh…anyone have an ETA on when this issue will be fixed???  I hate to push…but every day that I spend tracking down why every system orbiting around my application seems to be failing…while I guess the good news I was sent a notification from Microsoft Monday that my “Application Passed Certification”… of course…no one can see it…no one can download it… and… oh… there is no currently known ETA on the fix….

Yup…melted…right into the concrete…

:*(

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 3:37 PM
  • oh my god

认真的活,认真的爱!

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 3:41 PM
  • Good job! :)
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 4:51 PM
  • http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wpsupport/thread/a15bbb53-f756-4a6a-a269-843132ab630e

Will someone from Microsoft help me at my above thread?

Thursday, August 16, 2012 12:48 AM
  • And now…my app seems to fall into a gravity well of “?????” for both the market place…and advertisements…

Uh…anyone have an ETA on when this issue will be fixed???  I hate to push…but every day that I spend tracking down why every system orbiting around my application seems to be failing…while I guess the good news I was sent a notification from Microsoft Monday that my “Application Passed Certification”… of course…no one can see it…no one can download it… and… oh… there is no currently known ETA on the fix….

Yup…melted…right into the concrete…

:*(

Why don't you try Google man :)

Seriously, I am coming from the Android platform and this is my first experience with the WP7 marketplace. Not positive so far.

• Edited by Ord0 Thursday, August 16, 2012 7:01 AM
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 6:44 AM
  • And WP7applist still reports 0 new apps/updates in the past hour. Simply ridiculous. No updates from any Microsoft staff.

I have 6 apps. My first app was published almost TWO weeks late. Another THREE of my apps targetted a specific date range, and ALL of them MISSED. I've got one more in the "Published" state for an event happening TODAY, all I can do is sit back and watch the hours tick by while my app remains stuck in the middle of nowhere for the past 2 days 17 hours 53 minutes, or 0.3 weeks, or 2.7 days, or 65.8 hours, or 3,953.3 minutes or 237,200 seconds. I have been counting.

tl;dr, all the time I've spent programming 4 of my apps is essentially going right down the drain, added to the sleep I'm losing over this and the stress it's giving me. If that's not bad enough, the app currently stuck is meant to help promote Windows Phone, competing with an iOS and Android app for the conference it's for. It's like the very people I'm trying to help have just left me stranded.

I'm tired (pulling all-nighters waiting for updates), angry (no helpful responses), confused (no one's updating us) and completely frustrated. I've never seen damage control this bad, ever. I sincerely hope all apps propagate within the next few hours, because my patience is mighty thin now.

• Edited by ReignOfComputer Thursday, August 16, 2012 3:40 PM Adding numbers
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 3:36 PM
  • looks like it's coming back on track, my game is cleared all the process, hopefully will be available on marketplace in next 24 hours :)

my game was submitted on 31st July & cleared all process today on 16 August, so you can estimate about yours.

but good news is that everything is fine from their end, so you guys will get positive news soon. 

all the best to all.

Pri Machine Anyone can play games but making games is what I love most :)

• Edited by Pri Machine Thursday, August 16, 2012 5:23 PM
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 5:22 PM
  • And WP7applist still reports 0 new apps/updates in the past hour. Simply ridiculous. No updates from any Microsoft staff.

I have 6 apps. My first app was published almost TWO weeks late. Another THREE of my apps targetted a specific date range, and ALL of them MISSED. I've got one more in the "Published" state for an event happening TODAY, all I can do is sit back and watch the hours tick by while my app remains stuck in the middle of nowhere for the past 2 days 17 hours 53 minutes, or 0.3 weeks, or 2.7 days, or 65.8 hours, or 3,953.3 minutes or 237,200 seconds. I have been counting.

tl;dr, all the time I've spent programming 4 of my apps is essentially going right down the drain, added to the sleep I'm losing over this and the stress it's giving me. If that's not bad enough, the app currently stuck is meant to help promote Windows Phone, competing with an iOS and Android app for the conference it's for. It's like the very people I'm trying to help have just left me stranded.

I'm tired (pulling all-nighters waiting for updates), angry (no helpful responses), confused (no one's updating us) and completely frustrated. I've never seen damage control this bad, ever. I sincerely hope all apps propagate within the next few hours, because my patience is mighty thin now.

No offense, but you're posting everywhere about how a week's delay is destroying your apps. If your apps are really that important, why not submit them a month in advance?
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 8:41 PM
  • Some of the apps relied on information that was released only a week or two before the event, so I couldn't submit before then. Also used the 5-7 days estimate as a gauge, but I know not to rely on that anymore.

Thursday, August 16, 2012 11:04 PM
  • My 2 beta apps submitted several days ago are finally published into the marketplace and downloadable.  That's a good sign.  My REAL app update submitted on August 8 is still "PROCESSING", however.  Hopefully that will go through soon, as well.
    Friday, August 17, 2012 5:37 AM
  • Yep, my app just got published into the marketplace. Much later than I'd like it to be, but this one actually lands in the "on-time" category. Finally!

Sorry for my rant yesterday, I got really stressed out. Kudos to the Dev Team for getting something probably extremely complicated fixed quickly.

Friday, August 17, 2012 6:11 AM
  • Yep, my app just got published into the marketplace.

And what is that? What was all the hype about?

Regards,

Pavel

Friday, August 17, 2012 7:21 AM
  • @ ReignOfComputer

Unfortunately the link you provided did not work when I tried clicking on it.  It appears you may be experiencing issues and I do apologize for that.  We’re working to resolve the issue but feel free to reach out to use via a support ticket so that we can assist further if necessary. 

Paul
    Windows Phone Dev Center Support

Friday, August 17, 2012 6:30 PM
  • @ ReignOfComputer

Unfortunately the link you provided did not work when I tried clicking on it.  It appears you may be experiencing issues and I do apologize for that.  We’re working to resolve the issue but feel free to reach out to use via a support ticket so that we can assist further if necessary. 

Paul
    Windows Phone Dev Center Support

I have 2 updates that were submitted on August 8.  They are both still "processing certification".  Should I be worried?  I tried sending a support ticket, but that failed half a dozen times with this message:

"Something happened and we weren't able to send your support request. Try again."

So I'm trying to get a resolution here.

Saturday, August 18, 2012 1:26 AM
  • @GLowPuff

I just got a message from the support where they say that the certification testing also (and not only the publishing) was put on hold due to this digital certificate issue. Now they seem to resolved the issue and should resume testing apps. They assured me that "your app will be certified within the next few business days".

Btw, My app is awaiting since August, 10th (or, to be more precise since July, 30th, but on August 10th we got first certification results and had to fix a minor issue).

Regards,

Pavel

Saturday, August 18, 2012 7:47 AM
  • @GLowPuff

I just got a message from the support where they say that the certification testing also (and not only the publishing) was put on hold due to this digital certificate issue. Now they seem to resolved the issue and should resume testing apps. They assured me that "your app will be certified within the next few business days".

Btw, My app is awaiting since August, 10th (or, to be more precise since July, 30th, but on August 10th we got first certification results and had to fix a minor issue).

Regards,

Pavel

Super, thanks for the update, PriceFlurry.  That helped explain things a lot.
    Saturday, August 18, 2012 11:49 AM
  • @GLowPuff

Regards,

Pavel

It happened to me the same. First submitted on 8/1, then failed certification on 8/9, I fixed some issues and I updated it on 8/10. Since then... I am waiting...

Did you receive any certification results so far?

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 2:54 PM
  • @Efthymios Kalyviotis

Nope. This was my third support ticket that I submitted today and I'm trying really hard to stay polite with the support.

You know, I have this strange feeling that the WP7 apps are like an unwanted child now. Once Windows 8 and WP8 were announced (with their shared core) it seems like MS tries too hard to encourage the developers to switch to a new platform.

I hope I'm wrong here but waiting for nearly three weeks for one app to be certified (even with one failure, although the corresponding issues were fixed the same day and the app was re-submitted the same day) seems like huge flaw in the process (or a sabotage, but I hope I'm just too paranoiac here).

MS, what can I say. You really "love" you developers.

Regards,

Pavel

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 3:47 PM
  • @PriceFlurry

Did you have so far any answer from your support tickets?

I just sent one two days before asking for an estimated time that my app will be tested and I can not understand the reason for why not answering. At least a single sentence.

I think that the most biggest problem is that MS doesn't even give an estimate of when these apps will pass through testing and unfortunately, there is nothing someone can do about that. I do believe that MS has much more problems than it seems. Deploying such a new update for the App Hub without first testing it for a smooth transition doesn't seem to wise. They should at least create a topic on the forum and write in it every day how long is the queue of the apps waiting to be certified (eg. 8/17: 2300, 8/18: 2180). If you think of it, it is just a single number and it will not take them more than a minute. On the other side, they will receive much less support tickets which means more time to spend on useful things. Something doesn't match here.

Regards

Efthymios Kalyviotis

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 5:04 PM
  • @Efthymios Kalyviotis

Sorry if this is bad news but I submitted my app on Aug 5th, got an email saying it passed certification and should be available on Marketplace within 24hrs ( email on Aug 21st )...So far I have a link but nothing showing up :)

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-CA/apps/cfb75e88-236a-4c69-a9f0-73cd21722ee7

Sent in a support ticket, so i'll give an update if I hear anything back.

Jason

• Edited by JICarter Wednesday, August 22, 2012 11:42 PM
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 11:42 PM
  • @JICarter

It does show up. Congrats ;-)

Regards,

Pavel

Thursday, August 23, 2012 6:21 AM
  • I almost gave up hope, haha.

Do you know how/when apps go under the "new" category? The link works great and I can search for the name but in Marketplace -> puzzle & trivia -> new section I can't find it and I back 4 or 5 pages.

I guess by the end of the week it should be there.

Thanks for the update :)

Jason

Thursday, August 23, 2012 4:38 PM
  • there are too many bugs on marketplace,all you can do is to wait
    Monday, September 3, 2012 5:59 AM
  • my two app submit on 8/17. Processing certification now .please check it.
    Tuesday, September 4, 2012 1:46 AM
  • I uploaded two Apps on 8/23, - one got approved after five days, but I'm still waiting for the second after nearly 2 weeks.

But I'll forgive you, Microsoft, - if you just (in the end) will take my app through certification and
    put it on the featured list :)

-Leif

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 11:33 AM
  • It is clearly Last In - First Out.

I have submited mine at August 1st and still waiting.

Really thinking of deleting my submission and resubmitting from scratch.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 1:47 PM
  • Just delete and resubmit
    Wednesday, September 5, 2012 6:22 PM
  • Wov, Efthymios, over one month of waiting! I guess I should count myself lucky, that I only have waited since 8/23.

I wish that Microsoft could inform us better concerning ETA. Submitting a support ticket certainly seems like a waste of time and brings you no relevant information.

One can't help being a wee bit envious on the freedom Android programmers have to submit their apps within few hours!

-Leif

• Edited by Serne Thursday, September 6, 2012 8:38 AM
    Thursday, September 6, 2012 8:37 AM
  • Any news or updates regarding this problem?.  I submitted my app the 14th of August and I haven't had any news besides follow up this thread.
    Friday, September 7, 2012 2:41 AM
  • Well, my last app-update finally got an approval. Good luck to all who are still waiting and hope you all get an approval as well ;)

-Leif

Friday, September 7, 2012 6:04 AM
  • After almost a month waiting.. I got my app certified on friday September 7, 2012.  However, I couldn't find it in the marketplace by any of the keywords.  When I revised the app details, I noticed that the keywords and support email were wiped out.  I had to enter them again and submit. 

The question is:  How long do I have to wait now?...  was the processing certification fixed?.

Thanks..

Sunday, September 9, 2012 11:29 AM