none
Store does not indicate my app as "with Live Tile" RRS feed

• Question

• There are three ways how to update a tile:

• Periodical pooling a URL defined in TileUpdate element in app manifest.
    • Call TileUpdater.Update method from background task.
    • Call PushNotificationChannelManager.CreatePushNotificationChannelForApplicationAsync and send a push notification from service backend.

I use the third option (push notification). Why my app does not have the with Live Tile note under its logo in Store?

Monday, January 12, 2015 5:44 PM

Answers

• Hi Vaclav - I looked into the issue. The "with Live Tile" is not something that carried over when we moved to the WinRT platform.  We don't have a way of forcing it to dispaly for WinRT apps in the Store.  

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Monday, March 2, 2015 4:07 PM

All replies

• What do you mean by "the with Live Tile note under its logo"? Can you give an example link which has this?

I don't see any obvious such note on any of several live tile enabled apps that I checked (News, Facebook, Kindle, etc.)

--Rob

Monday, January 12, 2015 8:19 PM
  • Sure:

These are screenshots from Windows Phone Store.

Monday, January 12, 2015 11:06 PM
  • Is your app a Silverlight app or a Runtime app?

I'm not familiar with the behaviour of the store app itself, but the only pieces of information it could work with are the type of app and the manifest information. I assume that your app does declare live tile capabilities or the push notifications wouldn't go through at all.

I understand you're also working with several other people at Microsoft on this, so I'm going to let them follow up with you as they find more details.

--Rob

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 1:53 AM
  • My app has both Silverlight (XAP) and Runtime (Store, XAML, Universal) packages. This issue is related to the Runtime package and the Windows Phone Store on Windows Phone 8.1.

I have updated my app last week. It updates the tile locally (by calling TileUpdater.Update) in case push notifications are disabled. It calls this API from both background task and application foreground (I case the background task is disabled). My app contains all resolutions and scales of all visual assets. In application manifest, Application tab, Notifications group the Lock screen notifications option is set to Badge and Tile Text value. Although I made this changes, it is still not recognized as an app with a Live Tile.

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 2:31 PM
  • App manifest might affect my app is not recognized as an app with Live Tile.

<m3:VisualElements DisplayName="Feed Viewer" Square150x150Logo="Assets\Square150x150Logo.png" Square44x44Logo="Assets\Square41x41Logo.png" Description="Feed Viewer for Windows Phone Store" ForegroundText="light" BackgroundColor="transparent" ToastCapable="false">
      <m3:LockScreen Notification="badgeAndTileText" BadgeLogo="Assets\BadgeLogo.png" />
      <m3:DefaultTile Wide310x150Logo="Assets\Wide310x150Logo.png" Square71x71Logo="Assets\Square71x71Logo.png" DefaultSize="wide310x150Logo">
      </m3:DefaultTile>
      <m3:SplashScreen Image="Assets\SplashScreen.png" BackgroundColor="#E4712D" />
      <m3:ApplicationView MinWidth="width320" />
      <!--Used in XAML Designer. DO NOT REMOVE-->
    </m3:VisualElements>

But I don't see anything that would affect this.

• Edited by Václav DajbychMVP Friday, February 13, 2015 7:10 PM i have inserted a diferrent code
    Friday, February 13, 2015 7:07 PM
  • This isn't really a development issue so it's not something we deal directly with, but I believe the difference is that the store show the "with tiles" tag for Silverlight apps but not for Runtime apps.

If you want us to confirm this please open an Application Development support case at http://aka.ms/storesupport and include the names of the others at Microsoft you've already worked with on this so we collaborate on what they've already found.

--Rob

Friday, February 20, 2015 10:35 PM
  • Hi Vaclav - as I said in our chat, I'll see if I can determine the answer and post it here for you. However, as Rob said, this is more of a Store publishing issue than a development issue.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Friday, February 27, 2015 4:22 PM
  • Hi Vaclav - I looked into the issue. The "with Live Tile" is not something that carried over when we moved to the WinRT platform.  We don't have a way of forcing it to dispaly for WinRT apps in the Store.  

Monday, March 2, 2015 4:07 PM
  • Hello Matt, thank you for letting me know. May be it would be fair to remove the "with Live Tile" completely.
    Monday, March 2, 2015 4:26 PM
  • Probably, but as we move away from Silverlight into WinRT, it's going to go away anyway.

Monday, March 2, 2015 4:28 PM