none
Error with the Badge logo RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, guys

I've been trying to publish my app in the store, but this error keep showing up in the certification proccess , I've tried everything to solve the problem, but nothing work. I would really appreciate it if you guys can help me.

The background of the icons are transparents and when I go to the pixel that the error is pointing to go in the icon I don't see nothing wrong.

I saw a recommendation in a forum where you can try to remove the pixel that causing problems using the level in PainNet, but it didn't work

• Image reference "Assets\BadgeLogo.png": The image "Assets\BadgeLogo.scale-240.png" has an ABGR value "0x1CFEFEFE" at position (23, 14) that is not valid. The pixel must be white (##FFFFFF) or transparent (00######).
    • Image reference "Assets\BadgeLogo.png": The image "D:\tmp\661967\appcert_1F20\11672SantiagoCarela.Ellipsis_1.1.0.0_neutral_split.scale-100_g1pefkrrt0y60\Assets\BadgeLogo.scale-100.png" has an ABGR value "0x4CFEFEFE" at position (7, 5) that is not valid. The pixel must be white (##FFFFFF) or transparent (00######).
    • Image reference "Assets\BadgeLogo.png": The image "D:\tmp\661967\appcert_1F20\11672SantiagoCarela.Ellipsis_1.1.0.0_neutral_split.scale-140_g1pefkrrt0y60\Assets\BadgeLogo.scale-140.png" has an ABGR value "0xA3FEFEFE" at position (10, 7) that is not valid. The pixel must be white (##FFFFFF) or transparent (00######).
    • Image reference "Assets\BadgeLogo.png": The image "D:\tmp\661967\appcert_1F20\11672SantiagoCarela.Ellipsis_1.1.0.0_neutral_split.scale-180_g1pefkrrt0y60\Assets\BadgeLogo.scale-180.png" has an ABGR value "0x38FEFEFE" at position (15, 10) that is not valid. The pixel must be white (##FFFFFF) or transparent (00######).
    • Image reference "Assets\BadgeLogo.png": The image "Assets\BadgeLogo.scale-240.png" has an ABGR value "0x1CFEFEFE" at position (23, 14) that is not valid. The pixel must be white (##FFFFFF) or transparent (00######).
    Sunday, August 16, 2015 3:48 AM

Answers

• You can download the files at the link below. I don't know anything about paint net. I use Microsoft Paint on Windows 7. If I was you I would provide a location for the files you download. If you want to open one in Paint Net then first make a copy of it and open the copy since you should not alter the original which may now work for your app publishing.

Anyhow I wrote a simple program to run through all of the pixels in the images and set all pixels with an alpha channel at 0 (zero) so that the red, green and blue channels would also be set to 0 which makes the pixel transparent. If the alpha channel was less than 255 but not 0 then I set the alpha channel to 255.

I provided text files for each .Png file which recorded what the pixels are set to in each .Png file. You should view each text file and verify for each pixel that the information is correct.

The format in the text files is below. x and y represent the point of the pixel in the associated .Png file. A|R|G|B represent the Alpha, Red, Green and Blue channels. Valid values are from 0 to 255. A should either be 0 or 255. If A is 0 then RGB should all be 0. If this is not true in all text files then the program I wrote did not work correctly and the .Png files probably will not work for your apps publishing.

I would recommend you use a program for creating badges, whatever they are, which will not allow the alpha channel to be other than 255 for non transparent pixels and only allo 0 for the alpha channel if all other channels for that pixel are zero. Since some kind of issue is occuring when trying to publish your app if these issues are occuring.

Example of color transparent.

x|y    A|R|G|B
    0|0 .. 0|0|0|0

Another example which is the color white.

x|y    A|R|G|B
    10|10 .. 255|255|255|255

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=B8AB225FA76F270D!221&authkey=!AKLWV24Yb4K33kk&ithint=folder%2c

La vida loca

Sunday, August 16, 2015 8:41 PM
  • Hi Santiago Carela,

What type of app are you writing? As a friendly reminder please make sure to add the appropriate tags to the title of your post as per Guide to posting: subject line tags

>>an ABGR value "0x1CFEFEFE" at position (23, 14) that is not valid. The pixel must be white (##FFFFFF) or transparent (00######).

Based on this exception, it looks like there are some ABGR value mistakes for these PNG images, you can try to use create some fake images using Windows Painter and test again, if it can pass the WACK test, I think you need to replace these images with new pictures.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, August 17, 2015 12:53 PM

All replies

• Hi, guys

I've been trying to publish my app in the store, but this error keep showing up in the certification proccess , I've tried everything to solve the problem, but nothing work. I would really appreciate it if you guys can help me.

The background of the icons are transparents and when I go to the pixel that the error is pointing to go in the icon I don't see nothing wrong.

I saw a recommendation in a forum where you can try to remove the pixel that causing problems using the level in PainNet, but it didn't work

• Image reference "Assets\BadgeLogo.png": The image "D:\tmp\661967\appcert_1F20\11672SantiagoCarela.Ellipsis_1.1.0.0_neutral_split.scale-100_g1pefkrrt0y60\Assets\BadgeLogo.scale-100.png" has an ABGR value "0x4CFEFEFE" at position (7, 5) that is not valid. The pixel must be white (##FFFFFF) or transparent (00######).
    • Image reference "Assets\BadgeLogo.png": The image "D:\tmp\661967\appcert_1F20\11672SantiagoCarela.Ellipsis_1.1.0.0_neutral_split.scale-140_g1pefkrrt0y60\Assets\BadgeLogo.scale-140.png" has an ABGR value "0xA3FEFEFE" at position (10, 7) that is not valid. The pixel must be white (##FFFFFF) or transparent (00######).
    • Image reference "Assets\BadgeLogo.png": The image "D:\tmp\661967\appcert_1F20\11672SantiagoCarela.Ellipsis_1.1.0.0_neutral_split.scale-180_g1pefkrrt0y60\Assets\BadgeLogo.scale-180.png" has an ABGR value "0x38FEFEFE" at position (15, 10) that is not valid. The pixel must be white (##FFFFFF) or transparent (00######).

I'm not sure why that occurs since I don't know what the issue is really. However .Png and .Gif images support transparency. And I believe the Alpha channel of an ARGB color is used for that. In all the errors I see that the first of the four Hex positions in all of the errors has to do with the Alpha channel. Anything less than 255 or FF in the Alpha channel is making transparency occur.

For example this "0x38FEFEFE" for a .Png image is hex Alpha = 38, Red = FE, Green = FE, Blue = FE. I suppose if those pixels erroring were set so that the Alpha was FF instead of 38 then the image would not have issue.

Therefore you can bring your image up in Paint and save it back to a type .Png file which should cause any pixels set to less than FF on the Alpha Channel to become FF as Microsoft Paint doesn't for some reason allow the alpha channel of a pixel to be less than 255 from my use of it.

I've used a free program called Gimp2, open source and available for free on the internet, which can set transparent pixels or a pixels Alpha channel and save the bitmap to a type .Png or .Gif saving the transparency. And then brought up the same image in Paint and saved it doing nothing to it and the transparency is lost completely and all pixels Alpha channels are then at FF or 255.

So after making a copy of the BadgeLogo I would open the copy of the BadgeLogo up in Microsoft Paint and then save it which should correct the issue as performing the Save should reset all pixels Alpha Channel to FF or 255. And then try uploading the file.

Or if you want you can upload that file to your one drives public folder, I can download it and then use a program to run through it and set any pixels alpha channel that is not FF to either FF or 00 however at 00 the Pixel will appear completely transparent anyhow.

Or I could have the program run through each pixel and if the pixels alpha channel is less than FF set the entire pixel to white or transparent.

Then put the file back on my onedrive so you could download and test it I suppose.

I can do this with ICONs too but you are getting errors for a .PNG and not a .ICO file.

La vida loca

Sunday, August 16, 2015 4:28 AM
  • Thank you for your help. In this folder I have the icons in paint net format and *png

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=CB7B0B9737D6FDE6%21155

Sunday, August 16, 2015 7:19 PM
  • Thank you for your help. In this folder I have the icons in paint net format and *png

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=CB7B0B9737D6FDE6%21155

I don't see any files in .Png format. I only see files in .PDN format.

.PDN format is (according to link on the internet) "primarily associated with 'Paint.NET' by Rick Brewster. Paint.NET is an image and photo manipulation tool designed for computers running Windows XP."

I doubt Microsofts app publishing would be able to use an image in that format.

If you place some .Png images on the site and provide a link to them then I can download those.

Update: Never mind the above. I see that the files displayed as images are in fact the .Png files. I will get back to you in a while.

La vida loca

Sunday, August 16, 2015 7:42 PM
  • I'm using the painNet icons to create the *.png files with paint net. I'm not using the paintNet files in the app.

This link will show you the *.PNG files

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=CB7B0B9737D6FDE6!91096&authkey=!ANrtXOQwX2sZ0xU&ithint=folder%2c

Thanks for your help

Sunday, August 16, 2015 7:51 PM
  • You can download the files at the link below. I don't know anything about paint net. I use Microsoft Paint on Windows 7. If I was you I would provide a location for the files you download. If you want to open one in Paint Net then first make a copy of it and open the copy since you should not alter the original which may now work for your app publishing.

Anyhow I wrote a simple program to run through all of the pixels in the images and set all pixels with an alpha channel at 0 (zero) so that the red, green and blue channels would also be set to 0 which makes the pixel transparent. If the alpha channel was less than 255 but not 0 then I set the alpha channel to 255.

I provided text files for each .Png file which recorded what the pixels are set to in each .Png file. You should view each text file and verify for each pixel that the information is correct.

The format in the text files is below. x and y represent the point of the pixel in the associated .Png file. A|R|G|B represent the Alpha, Red, Green and Blue channels. Valid values are from 0 to 255. A should either be 0 or 255. If A is 0 then RGB should all be 0. If this is not true in all text files then the program I wrote did not work correctly and the .Png files probably will not work for your apps publishing.

I would recommend you use a program for creating badges, whatever they are, which will not allow the alpha channel to be other than 255 for non transparent pixels and only allo 0 for the alpha channel if all other channels for that pixel are zero. Since some kind of issue is occuring when trying to publish your app if these issues are occuring.

Example of color transparent.

x|y    A|R|G|B
    0|0 .. 0|0|0|0

Another example which is the color white.

x|y    A|R|G|B
    10|10 .. 255|255|255|255

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=B8AB225FA76F270D!221&authkey=!AKLWV24Yb4K33kk&ithint=folder%2c

La vida loca

Sunday, August 16, 2015 8:41 PM
  • Now that I look at your original post again it is possible that Microsofts app publishing only allows either Transparent or White pixels in the images you are providing. You should check on that to find out since I have no idea about that.

La vida loca

Sunday, August 16, 2015 9:18 PM
  • Hi Santiago Carela,

What type of app are you writing? As a friendly reminder please make sure to add the appropriate tags to the title of your post as per Guide to posting: subject line tags

>>an ABGR value "0x1CFEFEFE" at position (23, 14) that is not valid. The pixel must be white (##FFFFFF) or transparent (00######).

Based on this exception, it looks like there are some ABGR value mistakes for these PNG images, you can try to use create some fake images using Windows Painter and test again, if it can pass the WACK test, I think you need to replace these images with new pictures.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, August 17, 2015 12:53 PM
  • In fact I created  white images logo to see if the app certification kit was working correctly and  it was, no errors. I find out that the badge logo is used only in the lock screen if your app has the notification activated so I decided to use the white logo and my app pass the certification. This is a problem still pending for me and I going to solve in the first update of the app.

Thank you guys for your help.

Monday, August 17, 2015 5:18 PM
  • In fact I created  white images logo to see if the app certification kit was working correctly and  it was, no errors. I find out that the badge logo is used only in the lock screen if your app has the notification activated so I decided to use the white logo and my app pass the certification. This is a problem still pending for me and I going to solve in the first update of the app.

Thank you guys for your help.

You're welcome.

La vida loca

Monday, August 17, 2015 10:32 PM
  • I believe you've actually found your answer and not realized it.  The  badge logo is, in fact, used on the lock screen.  Notice that all logos from other apps shown on the lock screen are white.  What the error message is saying in a very cryptic fashion is your badge logo can only consist of white and transparent pixels.  In other words, badge logos can only be white -- but can have the background showing through them.

I think everyone pretty much starts by designing their colored logos and starts building all their other assets from them -- like the logos for the start menu tiles.  When they get to the badge logo they are in the mindset of just continuing with this process and simply rendering their colored logos in the sizes specified for the badge logos.  However badge logos are different from all other assets because they can only be white (with transparent background showing through them).  So it becomes necessary to create entirely new artwork for the white-only badge logos.

-- kburgoyne

Saturday, September 26, 2015 1:09 AM
  • For others finding this issue:

You can add a paint.net plugin called "Black and Alpha++", part of dpy's plugin pack, that is pretty easy to use to get an existing image to confirm. 

In my case, the image was a photo on black background.  First selecting this plugin and checking the "inverse" button, reversed the image.  I then pulled all sliders to 255.  The result was that all black became transparent and all other colors became transparent versions of white based on the original color.

Tim Mangan MVP for App-V and Citrix CTP Author of AppV books: "PowerShell with App-V 5 (5.1 Edition)", "The Client Book (4.x)" and "OSD Reference Book" (http://www.tmurgent.com/Books )

Saturday, April 30, 2016 5:18 PM
  • Is there any official documentation for the "Badge Logo"?

If is required to be 100% transparent or white, why have it at all?

How should it be designed? I'm submitting my app with 100% white images as badge logos as that's the only way it seems to pass certification, but I'm convinced there is something wrong with this.

Note the certification kit validates it locally whatever image is there, it only fails online.

Friday, July 29, 2016 9:07 AM