none
volume discount and subscription? RRS feed

• Question

• I have an MFC/C++ desktop app which I hope to sell through the Microsoft store. It is a college-level educational tool which I aim to sell to individual students with a perpetual licencse. The store seems well-suited for this purpose.

However, I would also like to offer it for volume purchase by universities. I can see a tick-box to allow institutional volume purchases, but I cannot see any option to discount the price for such volume sales (as would be the normal practice). Is this possible through the store?

I would also like to offer institutions the ability to purchase the app at reduced price on an annual subscription basis, rather than the higher up-front cost of a perpetual license. Is this possible?

I can see that this might be feasible through some sort of functionality-enabling in-app purchase with a limited lifespan, but so far as I can see in-app purchases are only possible for programs written in C# for .net. My program is a standard Win32 app written in MFC/C++. Are in-app purchases possible in this framework?

Thank you for any help on this.

Regards,

Bill Heitler

Thursday, September 26, 2019 10:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

First, volume acquisition through Microsoft Store for Business is possible. But it it not possible to give discount to specific target. The only way is to set a reduced price for a limited period of time and let them buy your app at that time. You can choose to offer the product either at a lower price tier or with a percentage-based discount. And you can choose whether to offer the sale to everyone, or make it an exclusive offer for customers who own one of your other products. Also only developers located in parts of countries can distribute paid apps to organizational customers via Microsoft Store for Business and Microsoft Store for Education. For the complete list of these countries, please check this document:Paid app support.

Second, if you wants to implement IAP in your app. You will need to convert your app to a desktop bridge app. Then use StoreContext Class to implement IAP.

For more information, please refer these links:Package desktop applications (Desktop Bridge) and Using the StoreContext class with the Desktop Bridge

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 27, 2019 7:48 AM