Using Directx 11.2? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm a bit confused after following the build session on tiled resources, i'd like to start toying around with DX11.2 asap but i'm unsure of what i need (or if it's even possible to do so now).

I have a plethora of related questions:

- I have visual studio 2013 preview installed, do i need anything else? Is 11.2 using new headers / do i need a separate download?

- Are the windows 8.1 nvidia drivers 11.2 compatible? If not is there a software fallback?

- Are there any samples for DX11.2, in source or precompiled?

- Is there any info on the lowest level of cards DX11.2 profile will work on? Is it all 11.1 cards or not necessarily?

- I know this is 8.1 only, but is it metro only or all 8.1 apps?

Any info pointing me at how to start developping with 11.2 now (or asap if what's required isn't out yet) is most welcome!

Monday, July 1, 2013 11:49 AM

Answers

• The DirectX headers are part of the normal SDK now. You don't need to install anything beyond Visual Studio 2013 Preview. Everything except for the Xaml interop features apply to desktop apps as well as to Windows Store apps. I'd recommend you watch the //build sessions on DX before diving in - they address these questions as well as others.

You can find the new DirectX samples in the sample gallery, including the Direct3D Tiled Resources sample  (Windows 8.1)

You can test with WARP if you don't have appropriate hardware or drivers.

--Rob

Monday, July 1, 2013 11:58 PM

All replies

• I didn't attend the DX sessions at build, but afaik, DX11.2 isn't out yet. 

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Monday, July 1, 2013 12:39 PM
  • The DirectX headers are part of the normal SDK now. You don't need to install anything beyond Visual Studio 2013 Preview. Everything except for the Xaml interop features apply to desktop apps as well as to Windows Store apps. I'd recommend you watch the //build sessions on DX before diving in - they address these questions as well as others.

You can find the new DirectX samples in the sample gallery, including the Direct3D Tiled Resources sample  (Windows 8.1)

You can test with WARP if you don't have appropriate hardware or drivers.

--Rob

Monday, July 1, 2013 11:58 PM
  • Thanks a lot, all i needed to get started :)

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 12:23 AM
  • When you install the VS 2013 Preview, you also get Windows SDK for Windows 8.1 Preview. This includes all the new headers, plus support for older versions of Windows as well. DirectX 11.2 is available on Windows 8.1 Preview for both Windows Store apps and Win32 desktop applications.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/chuckw/archive/2013/07/01/where-is-the-directx-sdk-2013-edition.aspx

Note there is no 11.2 Feature Level (D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_11_2) as of yet. All new DirectX 11.2 features work with some existing feature level to various degrees.

Monday, July 8, 2013 8:40 PM