The following forum(s) are migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Developing Universal Windows apps!

Ask new questions on Microsoft Q&A (Preview).
Interact with existing posts until December 13, 2019, after which content will be closed to all new and existing posts.

Learn More

none
[W8.1]Windows store app is getting crashed in windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have developed a windows store app for windows 8 and published in windows store also.

After windows 10 preview is released, I just thought of checking the compatibility of my app in windows 10, so i have installed windows 64-bit in virtual machine and started testing on it.

Actually I can see the same app from store works fine on windows 10. but when I build the app using visual studio behaves as below:

1. App targeted to Debug mode with 64 & 32 bit --> works fine

2. App targeted to Release mode with 32 bit --> works fine

3. App targeted to Release mode with 64-bot --> crashes on launch

Please let me know how to solve the problem. Thanks in advance!

- Shilpa 

Wednesday, July 15, 2015 4:54 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The issue has been resolved.

Reason: We are using PCL libraries in our app and related to that one of the reference file “.Net Portable Subset” was missing. 

Solution: Installing “Microsoft .NET Portable Library Reference Assemblies 4.6” solved the issue. 

Now our application is working fine with the 64-bit release mode build also. 

Actually, it is very strange that the reference library is not getting installed only with 64-bit release mode build in Windows 10. I feel Microsoft has to consider this and fix it in the Windows 10 official release.

Thanks,

--Shilpa

• Marked as answer by Shilpa_k Saturday, July 25, 2015 10:33 AM
    Saturday, July 25, 2015 10:33 AM

All replies

• below error info is displayed when I check the application event logs:

Activation of app <App package name> failed with error: The remote procedure call failed. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.

and Operational log contains error as: 

Activation of the app <App package name> for the Windows.Launch contract failed with error:The remote procedure call failed..

Please the reason behind app crash and how to solve the issue.

- Shilpa 

Wednesday, July 15, 2015 4:58 AM
  • Which version of your windows? Try the latest build 10240

Best Regards,
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help

Thursday, July 16, 2015 2:22 PM
  • Hi Shilpa_k,

>>so i have installed windows 64-bit in virtual machine and started testing on it

In my experience, sometimes we will encounter weird issue in virtual OS, to excluded the reason from Virtualization software, I would suggest you testing on a real device installed Windows 10 latest build.

And based on your exception, most of reason is related your personal setting, for example, using encrypted drive or security setting.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, July 17, 2015 1:51 AM
  • I am using Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview, 64-bit, Build V10130

--Shilpa 

Friday, July 17, 2015 6:31 AM
  • I am using Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview, 64-bit, Build V10130

--Shilpa 

Hi Shilpa_k,

Please try to upgrade your windows version and test again. Just create a simple UWP app and deploy as x64 version in Release mode.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, July 17, 2015 11:46 AM
  • I have created the sample app and it is working fine with both debug & release mode.

I even tested adding the different page and make that as first page in our application. In this scenario app is working fine.

I guess the problem is with the animation it seems, because as soon as we launch our app, it is going for snapped mode as because the  app window size is very less. animation happens on moving to snapped mode and app get crashes. But, it is weird that issue occurs only with Release mode 64-bit, that is what i am not understanding:(

As you have suggested,  I tried to update the OS (Start => Settings => Update & Security => Windows Update => Check for updates), it is saying your device is up to date

--Shilpa

• Edited by Shilpa_k Friday, July 17, 2015 3:55 PM
    Friday, July 17, 2015 2:26 PM
  • Hi, 

I have got the updates and installed it. Now the Windows build version is 10240.

Still I am facing the same issue:( Everything is working fine, except the build targeted to 64-bit with Release mode. 

Please do suggest!

• Edited by Shilpa_k Monday, July 20, 2015 11:35 AM
    Monday, July 20, 2015 11:35 AM
  • Hi, 

I have got the updates and installed it. Now the Windows build version is 10240.

Still I am facing the same issue:( Everything is working fine, except the build targeted to 64-bit with Release mode. 

Please do suggest!

Hi Shilpa_k,

Could you please upload a simple sample to reproduce this issue? We need to investigate the possible reason. You can upload it to OneDrive and share link

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 12:43 PM
  • Hi,

Reason: We are using PCL libraries in our app and related to that one of the reference file “.Net Portable Subset” was missing. 

Solution: Installing “Microsoft .NET Portable Library Reference Assemblies 4.6” solved the issue. 

Actually, it is very strange that the reference library is not getting installed only with 64-bit release mode build in Windows 10. I feel Microsoft has to consider this and fix it in the Windows 10 official release.

Thanks,

--Shilpa

• Marked as answer by Shilpa_k Saturday, July 25, 2015 10:33 AM
    Saturday, July 25, 2015 10:33 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks,

--Shilpa

Thank you for sharing your solution here:)

Sunday, July 26, 2015 12:48 PM