none
From UWP to PWA (Simple PWA example - only local network application) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

we developed a UWP desktop application for Windows with Visual Studio 2017 in javascript.

Now with the new Visual Studio 2019 the support for javascript in UWP has ended.

The solution sould be PWA

But we did not figure out how to build our UWP application with the PWA

What is our goal:

We run embedded devices in a local network and we would like to configure them with a windows desktop application.

The application should be available in the windows store.

What we have:

We hava a ready to use UWP desktop application a a complete ready to use website with HTML, CSS and Javascript.

How can we build a local use only windows desktop application with Visual Studio 2019 and PWA.

Thanks for any help

Thursday, July 11, 2019 8:27 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In VS2019, all project templates for building UWP apps using Javascript have been removed.

So unfortunately tell you that if you want to build a UWP app using PWA technology, you must use Visual Studio 2017.

I hope this can help you.

Thursday, July 11, 2019 9:46 AM
  • We dont wana build a UWP, we want to create a windows desktop app with the PWA API.

Is it possible to create a windows desktop application with visual studio 2910, with HTML,CSS and Javascript?

If I look at 'new project' from visual studio than I can see 'Node.js Express 4-Basicapplication'.

Is it possible to build a desktop app with this?

Does someone know a easy example?

Thursday, July 11, 2019 10:41 AM
  • If you are not building UWP apps, does that mean you won't call WinRT api?

I can provide some suggestions for building a desktop application using web technology.

1. Use WinRT Api

You can use Visual Studio 2017 to build PWA app or WinJS app, but they all belong to UWP apps.

2. Use desktop application build tools like Electron

Electron is based entirely on Html, Css, Javascript, and if you have an web application (like PWA), you can package it as a desktop application with a simple configuration. VSCode is developed with Electron.

---

The Node.js template in VS2019 is used to develop web pages, not built for desktop applications.

Friday, July 12, 2019 6:59 AM
  • I will start new!

We have a embedded device in a local network.
    On this embedded device there is a webserver with a web-application (HTML,CSS,Javascript)

This web-application should be implemented as a windows 10 desktop application like a smartphone application.

With visual studio 2017 and this descitpion we build a app
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/get-started/create-a-hello-world-app-js-uwp

But with the loss in Visual Studio 2019 of javascript support for the Universal Platform we need to figure out how to build our windows 10 application now.

This description looks like we should take PWA
    https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/pwa

But we are not figure out how to build a easy app.

Does someone know if a windows 10 app is possible with visual studio in Javascript

• Edited by BME_stx Monday, July 15, 2019 8:58 AM
    Monday, July 15, 2019 8:54 AM