none
[uwp] Mobile vs Tablet/PC ads difference ? RRS feed

• Question

• In windows store I can create banners with 2 types:
    - Mobile
    - Tablet/PC

Q1: Will ads with Mobile ids be shown on PC ?

Q2: What differents between this types ?

Q3: Is there are any marketing differents. For example client can create ads to show only on PC ?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/monetize/supported-ad-sizes-for-banner-ads

Q4: If I use Windows 10 Mobile with 300x50 on PC will it be shown ?

Q5: On windows 10 mobile we can run only UWP app.
    So windows 10 mobile = windows 10 ( uwp )
    But later we can see Windows 10 (UWP) and Windows 8.1.
    I have stackoverflow in my mind.

Why the are separated in different groups if windows 10 mobile and desktop both uwp aps ?

Media Store

• Edited by SmartWhy Friday, March 17, 2017 9:27 AM
    Friday, March 17, 2017 9:26 AM

Answers

• Hi SmartWhy,

>>Q: Can I use ads with 300x50 size on Mobile and PC at the same time ?

Thanks for reporting this issue firstly.

I think you can not. According to Supported banner ad size, wen can see that 300 x 50 size only support Windows 10 Mobile and Windows Phone 8.x, although it is working now, This does not mean that the it still work properly in the future. So I suggest you to follow the document to configure ads.

I will report this problem to related team, I will update here if I get any reply.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Cherry Bu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 2:21 AM

All replies

• Hi SmartWhy,
    >>Q1: Will ads with Mobile ids be shown on PC ?
    As far as I’m concerned, Mobile Ad units are used in app that target Mobile, PC/Tablet Ad units are used in app that target Windows, you can apply from Windows Dev Center dashboard.

>>Q2: What differents between this types ?
    1. On the Windows Dev Center dashboard, select your app and then click Monetization > Monetize with ads.
    2. In the Microsoft Advertising ad units section on this page, create an ad unit. For the ad unit type, select from the following options:
        • If you are using an AdControl in your app to show banner ads, select Banner for the ad unit type.
        • If you are using an InterstitialAd in your app to show interstitial video or interstitial banner ads, select Video interstitial or Banner interstitial (be sure to select the appropriate option for the type of interstitial ad you want to show).
        • If your app target Mobile, select Mobile for the device family. If your app target Windows, select PC/Tablet for the device family.

>>Q3: Is there are any marketing differents. For example client can create ads to show only on PC ?
    I do not really understand what you mean, can you explain it again?

>>Q4: If I use Windows 10 Mobile with 300x50 on PC will it be shown ? && Q5: On windows 10 mobile we can run only UWP app.
    Your app target decide which size you use, if your app target is Windows 8.1 or Windows 10,  select Mobile Ad units and you can use 300 x 250, 728 x 90, 160 x 600, 300 x 600 sizes and select PC/ Tablet Ad units. if your app target is Windows 10 mobile or Windows phone 8.x, you can use 300 x 50, 320 x 50, 480 x 80( This size is supported for Windows Phone Silverlight only), 640 x 100 and select Mobile Ad units.

If your app is UWP app and target Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile, First please judge whether it is Phone or desktop platform by using EasClientDeviceInformation class, and then select appropriate size and Ad units for it. You can refer to this post.

>>Why the are separated in different groups if windows 10 mobile and desktop both uwp aps ?
    You use different Ad SDK for your Windows and Windows Phone APP and other factors, so it is necessary.

Best Regards,
    Cherry Bu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 20, 2017 3:18 AM
  • >>As far as I’m concerned, Mobile Ad units are used in app that target Mobile, PC/Tablet Ad units are used in app that target Windows, you can apply from Windows Dev Center dashboard.

I decided to use one size instead of using mobile <-> pc switching logic.

When I create Mobile unit and use it on PC it looks like it works.

So I am trying to understand is it solution acceptable to use banner 300x50 everywhere.

My fear

- today it works, but what will be tomorrow

That why I am a little bit confused.

In therory it should not be work, but it looks like it work for me. So my main question

Q: Can I use ads with 300x50 size on Mobile and PC at the same time ?

If you say - it will not work on PC. On my PC it works. So I want to know why it works, because by looking at docs is should not works. And can this functionality be blocking in the future ?

Media Store

Monday, March 20, 2017 9:41 AM
  • Hi SmartWhy,

>>Q: Can I use ads with 300x50 size on Mobile and PC at the same time ?

Thanks for reporting this issue firstly.

I think you can not. According to Supported banner ad size, wen can see that 300 x 50 size only support Windows 10 Mobile and Windows Phone 8.x, although it is working now, This does not mean that the it still work properly in the future. So I suggest you to follow the document to configure ads.

I will report this problem to related team, I will update here if I get any reply.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Cherry Bu

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 2:21 AM
  • Hello SmartWhy,

Can you please clarify what exactly you are trying to do here? Are you building a new UWP app and wondering how to integrate ad units in them? You need to ensure the size of the ad control are of one of the standard IAB sizes. While you create an ad unit in Dev Center (Monetize with ads page), you anyways cannot select size of the ad unit, you just need to create a Windows ad unit and plug the id into your app code and it will serve depending on the form factor of the device where it is rendered (ad size is picked up from the ad control, during ad call).

Hope this clarifies,

Thanks,

Shreyas Ganesh N [MSFT]

• Proposed as answer by Shreyas Ganesh - MSFT Thursday, March 23, 2017 11:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by SmartWhy Friday, March 24, 2017 9:33 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by SmartWhy Monday, March 27, 2017 8:28 AM
    Thursday, March 23, 2017 11:35 AM