none
Please raise the 5 PC limitation for Windows Store apps RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have hit the 5 PC limitation for installing Windows Store apps from my Microsoft account.  At home my family has three Windows 8 laptops and at work I have a Surface.  I just installed Windows 8 Pro in a virtual machine to do some Windows Store development and testing.  Because I had the last RC candidate of Windows 8 in a VM and tied my MS account, I could not associate my MS account with the new Windows 8 install until I had removed another PC from my account.  Since the RC version was no longer being used, it was easy to remove it.

The problem is that I am now maxed out again at 5 machines.  I am slated to get new work machine in a few months and it's going to a Windows 8 Pro machine.  When that happens, I will need to drop another machine from my account and I don't want to do so.  I don't need a large number of PCs on my account, but 5 is just too low.  

Chris Miller

Monday, January 28, 2013 3:04 PM

All replies

• +1...as a developer I have a lot of computers (including a couple of tablets) and it is really frustrating to see this limit, especially on free apps!

Review Horizon

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 10:54 PM
  • Hello Chris,

Thank you for your comments on the app installation limits. Your feedback is appreciated.

-Eric

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 5:44 PM
  • Free apps it makes sense to have unlimited installs on, paid apps would be a different story, and should be locked to a specific amount. 5 is pretty good. The question is if you uninstall on 1 pc can you then install it on another pc?

http://www.refractored.com

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 6:09 PM
  • Free apps it makes sense to have unlimited installs on, paid apps would be a different story, and should be locked to a specific amount. 5 is pretty good. The question is if you uninstall on 1 pc can you then install it on another pc?

http://www.refractored.com

The problem is that it is your account that can only be associated with 5 PCs, not the apps.  If you have family PCs and tablets and one of each at work, then you hit that limit very quickly.  My kids and my wife have laptops, I keep an admin account on each in case something needs to be reset.  I don't want to have multiple Windows accounts.  Even for paid apps, why not allow 10 installs?  It's licensed to the user, not the PC.

Chris Miller

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 6:52 PM
  • +1

...this is an annoying artifical limitation.

What was the business case for setting the limit to 5? As a consumer and long time MS employee I am interested on both fronts.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 10:15 PM
  • I have more than 5 Windows-8 devices that are networked to an HP all-in-one printer/scanner. I cannot install the needed, FREE, application for HP print control and scanning on more than 5 devices. The app is free. Microsoft, you might want to consider dropping the application installation limit on FREE apps for the benefit of your customers such as me and the other people posting to this forum. Thanks.
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 5:04 AM
  • This limitation is ridiculous! What is the point of this?!?!?

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 9:50 PM
  • I have just hit this limit today. Wow. I'm floored. I thought the idea was to have Windows running on everything - your phone, your entertainment system, desktops, tablets, your car. If it is the goal to seriously compete with other computer companies (not mentioning any names), there should be no limit on the number of PC's associated with an account.

[I can understand that for paid apps, there should be a limit. If you exceed the limit on paid apps, just pay again when you install the app on a 6th device. But as stated in this thread, that is not the restriction we are all hitting here.]

My situation is as with others, I am a developer with a desktop, laptop, multiple test devices, and VM's.

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 5:54 PM
  • increase!

Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer - Windows Store Apps Using C#

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 6:12 PM
  • 5 PC limit? Really? So I guess I should just sell my other PCs and buy Macs or install Linus over Windows? How uneccessary and lame is this artificial limit? Completely, without some very well articulated explanation. L-A-M-E!

Another totally valid reason for people to look elswhere other than Microsoft Losedows.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 10:23 PM
  • Starting on October 9, Windows Store apps can be installed on up to 81 devices associated with a single Microsoft account. This will apply to all apps in the Store, for both Windows 8 and Windows 8.1.

http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/appbuilder/archive/2013/09/27/increasing-the-app-roaming-limits.aspx

Hoping that's not a misprint.

Saturday, September 28, 2013 10:12 AM