The following forum(s) are migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Developing Universal Windows apps!

Ask new questions on Microsoft Q&A (Preview).
Interact with existing posts until December 13, 2019, after which content will be closed to all new and existing posts.

Learn More

none
[UWP]How to test System Media Transport Controls locally on desktop Windows 10 ? RRS feed

• Question

• How to test System Media Transport Controls locally on desktop Windows 10 ?

I want to test it on my Desktop.

Where I can find System Media Transport Controls analog on Widnows 10 ?

• Edited by Jayden Gu Thursday, November 10, 2016 6:46 AM title tag
    Tuesday, November 8, 2016 2:40 PM

All replies

• Hi SmartWhy,

Do you use the System media transport controls sample to the that?

If so, the sample use the MediaPlayerElement to play the music file.

You must manually control the SMTC if you are using MediaElement to play media.

For more info, see Manual control of the System Media Transport Controls.

There is an official sample that manually control the SMTC, please refer it in this link: https://github.com/Microsoft/Windows-universal-samples/tree/6370138b150ca8a34ff86de376ab6408c5587f5d/Samples/BackgroundMediaPlayback.

In the sample, it define the PlayerViewModel class to do that. And we can click the Button of System Media Transport Controls when we point on the AppIcon on the taskbar.

Starting with Windows 10, version 1607, UWP apps that use the MediaPlayer class to play media are automatically integrated with the System Media Transport Controls (SMTC) by default. This is the recommended way of interacting with the SMTC for most scenarios. For more information on customizing the SMTC's default integration with MediaPlayer, see Integrate with the System Media Transport Controls.

Best Regards,

Jayden Gu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 10, 2016 6:45 AM
  • But I need to do custom action with System Media Transport Control.

That's why my question is

How to test System Media Transport Controls locally on desktop Windows 10 Desktop ?

I want to run Universal App , and then see System Media Transport Controls analog for desktop and understand what happened.

Because now if I want to integrate it with System Media Transport Control I can test it only on device

Friday, November 11, 2016 10:05 AM
  • Hi SmartWhy,

If we do not manually control the SMTC, we can not test the it by Local Machine. We should able to use the Mobile Emulator.

If we  manually control the SMTC, we can  test the it by Local Machine. We can click the Button of System Media Transport Controls when we point on the AppIcon on the taskbar, like the following image:

Best Regards,

Jayden Gu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Jayden Gu Thursday, November 17, 2016 3:11 AM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2016 11:20 AM