none
W-8 Tax Form Migration from App Hub to Dev Center RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello,

We are currently in the process of migrating the W-8 tax forms entered into the App Hub to the new Dev Center.  This process may take up to 2 days to complete.   If you need to update any of your paid apps or submit new paid apps immediately, you can quickly complete and submit a W-8 tax form online through the Dev Center.  Please note that if the info entered into Dev Center is different than what was originally entered in the App Hub, once the migration is complete, the App Hub information may override the newly entered info. To update your tax status please follow these steps:

1.        Go to your Dev Center account by clicking on this link:  https://dev.windowsphone.com/account
    2.        Review your Tax profile and Payment account to ensure it is complete
    3.        Click ‘EDIT’ to add or change information

Please note that it can take up to 24 hours for the Dev Center to reflect any changes you’ve made to your tax profile.   If you experience any issues or have any questions, please submit a ticket to Support.

Thank you for your patience.

Windows Phone Commerce Team

Jo T Smith

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 5:20 PM

All replies

• I just filled out the W-8BEN form.  Two things.

There is no Part II in the electronic form "Claim of Tax Treaty Benefits" (if applicable)

I would have thought that I need to tick 9.a in my case as I am in Australia:

The beneficial owner is a resident of <insert country>  within the meaning of the income tax treaty between the United States and that country.

The PDF shows that part but the box isn't checked.

Also:

I assume that once done the PDF is only for my records, I don't need to forward that??

Thx David Jones

PS I found it was pulling an old email address from my live account in the form and used that when sending the pin. I had to make sure teh email address on the form was correct.

DJaus Snr SW Dev (Embedded Systems and .NET)

Wednesday, August 8, 2012 2:44 AM
  • Same happened to me (Claim of Tax Treaty Benefits section empty). I thought I had ******* up when filling in the form...

Hope they overwrite with my original data from back in 2010.

Roman Müller

Founder and CEO of Interware LLC

Wednesday, August 8, 2012 12:55 PM
  • Same here. I hope my old App Hub W8-BEN overrides the one I completed online for Dev Center, as I don't fancy being taxed twice on my earnings. It would be good to get some confirmation that the missing Section II in the online form isn't going to cause us all to lose out.

Developer. Windows, Mac OS X, iOS, WP7, Silverlight.

Wednesday, August 8, 2012 10:39 PM
  • We have done this already but the profile isn't approved.

The problem is that we can’t publish now paid apps and we have developed a bunch of apps with seasonal context and it’s time to market.  How can we fix this issue asap.

S Thurek

Friday, August 10, 2012 9:29 AM
  • I've found several issues with the online tax form.

Why are the first two options for "Select beneficial owner" greyed out?  I'm not doing this on behalf of anybody.  I'm doing this for my own business name that comprises of just one person, me.  Sole proprietor.

In the online W-8BEN, "Individual" is greyed out for "Type of beneficial owner".  That is the most suitable option on that form for me, and is what I selected when I previously submitted the W-8BEN to Microsoft Commerce.

Why is the U.S. taxpayer identification number field set as a password field?  If I wasn't carefully watching the dots appear as I typed the EIN, I would have missed that it only has space for the digits of the EIN, not the dash that the number came with from the IRS.

I didn't get as far as Part II, but yes, as Australians we need to select 9.a.

I guess I'll wait for the tax migration to happen (it is four days now, past the two days mentioned above), as this online tax form isn't allowing proper entry of the correct details.

Friday, August 10, 2012 10:31 AM
  • Hi all,

If you're experiencing issues getting your tax information completed and validated, remember to contact support so we can help clarify the issue.

Support e-form: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=256412

Windows Phone Dev Center Support http://developer.windowsphone.com

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 4:51 AM
  • Hi all,

We are the 6DS Idea Ltd., a windows phone developing company from Hungary.

We have already sent Microsoft the W-8BEN tax form by e-mail and by post too;
    which Microsoft have been accepted at June 08. 2012.

We filled the W-8BEN form again in the Dev Center many times, we always can see "needs attention".

We contact to support twice, no answer just link to forum.

We try another support but no right answer.
    First, support said: we need send documents to microsoftdocs@cticompliance.com.
    We sent all documents to microsoftdocs@cticompliance.com twice, no answer.
    Second, support said: we need fill out W-8IMY but we are not intermediary we are beneficial owner. The 6DS Idea Ltd. is a software developer company, no third parties.

The old paid apps report show nobody purchased from August 2. It is impossible because before every day was purchased.

Now we cannot upload apps and update.

This is terrible, it is very frustrating.

We are very sad and did not know what to do.

Please, anybody help us!

Sorry my english.

• Edited by 6DS Idea Friday, August 17, 2012 6:16 PM
    Friday, August 17, 2012 6:05 PM
  • Same for me. Same situation and same result after sending documents.

Software Magic

Monday, August 20, 2012 4:57 PM
  • Same to me. Is there any follow-up in Microsoft support?
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 4:46 AM
  • For me nothing to do!

Software Magic

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 8:34 AM
  • We received an e-mail on Friday. According to that the support forwarded our complaint to the commerce team. Since nothing has happened.

6DS Idea

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 11:02 AM
  • The problem is solved.

Thanks for support!

6DS Idea

Thursday, August 23, 2012 7:28 AM
  • The new semi filled in W-8Ben form is most helpful - thanks jo.

Except for Part 2 the 0% or 30% withholding for Australians.  I can't find any online help to make that choice.

Microsoft's MSDN support response was to 'talk to your tax consultant'.

Note that this choice (and therefore confusion) isn't in the PubCentre's version of the online w-8Ben form. Strange that the two are inconsistent.

Robert powers-martin

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 4:27 PM
  • also,

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-AU/library/windows/apps/jj193593.aspx isn't any help

The IRS iw8ben 'help' doco just says fill it in according to the tax treaty in your country.

ATO.gov.au http://www.ato.gov.au/content/66410.htm doesn't have any advice and refers you to: http://www.ato.gov.au/content/00313892.htm and http://www.treasury.gov.au/

Robert powers-martin

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 4:29 PM
  • I have recently been in contact with the IRS and need to confirm that CTI (who is a microsoft service provider) is autofilling the W8BEN tax form correctly for Australian Residents.

The IRS has stated that if Microsoft is to make royalty payments to the individual then 'Article 12 is the correct answer to Part 2 question 10 and the rate is 0%'

The IRS also queried CTI's choice of Article 7, and suggested that I should query with Microsoft that if the WindowsStoreApp is to be owned by Microsoft and payments are classified as Business Payments then 'Article 7' is OK to be specified in the W8BEN form.

Does the intellectual property of my App become Microsofts?

Robert powers-martin

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 2:42 PM
  • Danny,

Recently, I have tried to edit the Tax Info for my Company account. Being a new user, I filled in the W9 form. The form continually says

"We could not validate the information you provided. Please go back to the beginning of the flow and verify the information you provided is accurate."

I'm 100% sure the form is accurate, as I have my US EIN & tax documents in front of me.

I submitted a ticket with support.

Why doesn't this 'Edit Tax Info' process at least provide some kind of feedback to the end user? Did I miss a middle initial? Was the form case sensitive? Just frustrating that every time something goes wrong I have to submit a Customer ticket. Why not give the user more feedback? Is it job security? :)

Friday, February 8, 2013 9:55 PM
  • FYI,

I finally got the issue resolved. I place a solution in this thread

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wpregister/thread/e5b81b06-e3a1-4fa0-855f-01e0c8391337

or search for it using "Edit Tax Info Issue"

Thursday, February 14, 2013 7:46 PM
  • Microsoft support has admitted that our apps were bought for more thousand dollars from the Marketplace, nevertheless the amount they accounted for is still $0.00 after a year.
    For this, we finished developing for windows phones. It is a good business, but not for us who did not get nothing from it.

6DS Idea

Saturday, March 16, 2013 10:01 AM
  • How do I change / remove the VAT ID?
    Thursday, March 21, 2013 9:00 AM
  • Hi, we have more than 3 weeks waiting for some problems to be solved. 3 WEEKS.

I got my game on Desura+SteamGreenlight+Android+Amazon (who approved my tax form in less than 10 minutos) but NOT on Microsoft.

This is one of the most dissapoiting things that can happen to a developer, also I have more than 20 Years using computers to make a living, and let me tell you 3 DAYS solving an server Issue its way too much, now 3 Weeks its absolutely the WORST FAIL EVER.

As a developer, Im next to abandon the idea of develop for Store and Windows phones...

The worst? I LOST MY TIME AND MICROSOFT REALLY NEED DEVELOPERS TO BE SOMEBODY ON THE MOBILE MARKET.

They are ZILLIONS of things they need to fix.

Aldo

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 12:09 AM